View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: NEW EFFECT: IShift
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 pm 

Look at the magic market today. Everyone with an almost half way decent idea that has at least come close to hitting puberty thinks that their idea deserves to go on the market. Regardless of whether it's a good trick, they just want to put it out there for their ego and their wallet. It's disrespectful to the entire art. Not to mention that a week isn't long enough to perfect something, look around to make sure no one else has already done it, or simply perform it for enough people to know that it's a good effect. You know what, whatever. If you don't have respect for the art, I'm simply going to suggest you take a step outside your ego, get off of youtube, and maybe look into stamp collecting. Laypeople look at magicians, in many cases, as one step above mimes on the entertainers scale. That's the fault of people that don't want to perfect their material, don't want to be unique, and don't show magic any respect themselves, but whatever, I'm just arrogant and not in touch with reality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 pm 
Penguin

hear hear! the X has spoken!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:15 pm 
born to perform.

Who cares if an effect is created in 20 seconds or over 20 years. As long as they expand on the original idea and make it worth the buyer's money after the initial invention (like he was claiming to be doing), they have no reason not to sell it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm 

Those with respect to the art of magic care. Thought I clarified.

Go ask guys like Aaron Fisher (A student of John Thompson and Larry Jennings), Alex Geiser (A student and friend of Armando Lucero and Paul Vigil), Ben Seidman (Another student of Armando), and any number of young guys with respect to the art how long they fine tune an effect before the consider letting it go on the market. I know Alex and Ben personally and can tell you their answers and know the thought that Aaron puts into his craft. Maybe if more people stopped being concerned about making a few bucks and grew concerned with enhancing the art, it would be more respected by everyone else.

This post is a good example. It's come out that it's a fraud, right? In the long run, this was all about someone's ego needing to be inflated, though maybe "fellated" would be a better term. That's why no one respects magic, because they know that the magician is just an "egotistical nerd with no social skills".

Go practice an effect for a few months, perform it AT LEAST 1000 times over the course of AT LEAST a year so that you know it's perfected and fine tuned, then ask yourself if you putting it on the market is for magic or an ego. This crap with rushing things to the market and seeing it get torn apart is why great performers with workers have to put a $500 price tag on their good stuff. They have to set it apart from all the crap that goes out every week. Sometimes these half@ssed ideas are okay, most of the time they suck. I can sum this up pretty easily, take my advice or become Kevin Parker. Your call.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
I thought this was a camera trick prank at first!

Wow..I should get a job as a psychic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 pm 
born to perform.

The "creator" clearly said that he was going to fine tune the effect. If this were to be a real product, he said he was going to work it and tweak it.