View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Shakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm 
Penguin

One thing to bear in mind is. YOUR AUDIANCE DOES NOT NOTICE. All you need to do is not make a big deal out of it (like some plain sight prop) and they wont either. Just continue what you're doing, you'll get rid of it in no time (during a show that is).

I sometimes get the shakes, especially when preforming for a set I dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:28 pm 
Penguin

I'm glad this topic was created I get the shakes a lol but it's not because I'm nervous its more so I'm overwhelm with adrenaline . Hard to control I just accept it , it only happens to me with most card effects but I still never make mistakes with the shakes , just relax and take your time and avoid the need to talk too much cause it seems to fuel the shakes. Most of the time it happens is when I go right into a trick without thinking of the presentation . Perhaps plan out how your going to present an effect before you present it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 pm 
Penguin

I meant to say a lot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 pm 
Penguin

This can happen to anyone. even professionals once in a while. when the routine is down, and your confident this will never happen. even if you are confident in your routine you may not be in other parts of your life. take time to reflect upon yourself and your existence as one with the natural world. take the time to understand your a person and they are people just watching and in the grand scheme of things we are just dust. as long as your alive nothing else is that important if you know what i mean. or maybe you drink too much idk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm 
Penguin

the brain recognizes "vulnerable" social situations (such as performing) similar to a fight or flight scenario. if it is really bad practice in meditation and concentration.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm 
Penguin

i dont get shakes "per say" but before every stage show i get kinda nervous so i grab my ipod and jam out while im goin over stuff in my head than after the 2nd trick or so everything is fine.Or have the music guy put on music you can jam out to while setting up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
Penguin

I used to get 'em BAD. It really takes a lot of performing in front of people for them to go away. Magic is a unique performing art, unlike most. I'm an actor, which I thought would give me an advantage for performing magic. Not really. Doing close up magic is nothing like acting. Oh, sure, there are some acting skills that come in handy for performing magic. But magic is a totally different beast.

It takes a lot of nerve and a lot of practice in front of people before it becomes second nature.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:39 am 
Penguin

Hey hey,

The shakes are rather annoying, sometimes it has nothing to do with nervousness either. Sometimes doing a difficult card move, or having a deck in odd, precarious positions is DIFFICULT and your hands may shake with some kind of effort. That's fine.
Might i suggest, if you suspect nervousness or whatever, keep your hands moving with intention. Don't just wave them around like a psycho but, you know, use gestures and other movements to hide the shaking. Conversely, try placing your hands on the table, on your lap or even in your pockets (if that is your style).
Don't do a one handed fan and ask somebody to select a card, everybody is looking at your hands and may notice if your hands are trembling. Spread the cards on a table or hand them the deck instead.
Hope that helps even slightly.