View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tannen's Magic Camp Questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
born to perform.

After great pressure from other magicians and some spectacular reviews, I am seriously considering Tannen's Magic Camp this Summer. To be able to afford it without completely halting my spending on all other things, I'd have to start putting away money now. To be sure this is something I would want to take part in before going through all of that trouble I would appreciate if anyone who has gone there one or more years would answer a few questions for me.

1. What is the environment like? Is everyone dressed as if they were performing, sort of like a more "fancy" thing for lack of a better term, or is it more of a casual environment.

2. What is the admission like? I've been getting some mixed signals on this subject. From their website, it seems like anybody with a dedication to magic as an art and a business and enough money can go. While doing research, I came across a podcast that made it seem as if it were more difficult to be allowed in. They said that the majority of people there were returning students, the majority of instructors were returning from previous years. They spoke as if it were more of a community that didn't allow access to outsiders. That may be way off, but it was just how it came out via the audio. How accurate is either of these almost conflicting statements.

3. This question is based under the assumption that I end up deciding to and being able to go to the camp. What kind of materials would I bring? Obviously coins, cards, tt's etc. But in addition to that, would bringing a close up stand/table (you guys know what I'm referring to) be helpful? Should I bring raw materials such as rubber cement, elastic and such?

4. This may sound like the stupidest question you could imagine, but it's important for me. As I've mentioned a few times on this forum I have a mohawk which takes roughly 15-20 minutes and a blow dryer to gel in the morning. Would there be time in the mornings to gel my hair up, or would I have to shave my hair before hand?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers. You're really helping me monetarily.

Last edited by tiggerkim on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Camp Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 pm 
Penguin

I have only been one year (in 2010) because it is expensive so here are my views of the camp from that year:
1) It's a generally casual environment except on talent show days where competitors wore their performing attire. You can dress however you like but most people dress in street clothes.
2) I believe that anyone with enough money is allowed in, but on the first day of camp, they assess your performing abilities and sort you into the proper difficulty class, so you don't have to worry about being with beginners (as long as you're not a beginner, which I don't think you are). The classes are split between close-up and stage (which you get to chose which one you want to be in for the remainder of the camp) and within those categories are different levels of ability (generally beginner, intermediate, and advanced, which you get sorted into depending on how well you perform in the assessment).
3) When I went, I was in the stage class and I'm assuming you're going to want to be in the close-up classes, so I am speaking for the stage magicians. Just bring any of the "classic" or "typical" props like cards, spongeballs, coins, etc. Also bring anything you need to perform in the talent show (if you're competing) and anything you may want to get help on. As for raw materials, they're not necessary unless you plan on bringing trick which will need them. I don't think that instructors would tell you to do anything if they don't have the equipment for you.
4) I don't have a mohawk but I think you could manage to keep it. When I went, there was a guy who had a mohawk for the entirety of the camp. For the "older" kids, there is no strictly enforced bed time and there is no enforced waking up time. Instructors wake you up at 7 and you must be ready to go to breakfast at 7:30, I think. If that's not enough time, you could get up before 7.

I hope this helped and you are able to go to camp because it's a great experience. Just remember to bring a notebook because what you learn will be valuable. You'll be surprised how many kids don't take notes; they'll surely forget most of what they learned in a year.
Thanks, Drew

Post subject: Re: Camp Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:20 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you for all of the help! I would love to go there, but to afford it I'm gonna have to cut down on my careless spending on new magic products (saving for college, so that's where 1/2 of my money goes). So yeah, really hope I can make it based on all of these positive reviews. I haven't heard one bad thing about it.