View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: flipper coins??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm 
Penguin

hello so im interested in purchasing a flipper coin, I dont own a single one and im a little apprehesnive there are so many out there so i have a few questions that someone might be able to clear up for me... whats the difference between the regular flipper the pro flip the pro gravity and the magnetic??? also in your opinion which one is the best to get and by which manufacturer thank you so much guys.

Post subject: Re: flipper coins??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 pm 
born to perform.

A standard flipper is just held by rubber bands. if you open it by giving it a little shake then holding the flap, it will shut on it's own once you let go of it. It will stand up to a good deal of spectator examination. I have not used a magnetic flipper, so don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure it's a standard flipper that has an extra magnet to support it. A gravitational flipper does not use rubber bands, but a hinge. This means it will not close automatically and can be displayed more freely. Why you would choose one over another depends on the effects you are looking to perform. I don't want to get into too much detail for fear of exposure, but if you look into people like Eric Jones or some other coin guys you can find some good uses for each of them.

I would say for a brand, start with Tango. They're good enough quality that if you like what you're doing you can go out and work it some and the gimmicks are going to work well for you. They also come with a few effects you can do with the gimmick in most cases. If you find that you really don't like flipper coins, they aren't that expensive that you'd be losing a few hundred bucks. Someone else may correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure Eric Jones covers this in his new Metal DVD on the subject of "intro to coin gimmicks". I'd trust enough in his teaching to say look for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Penguin

tiggerkim wrote:
A gravitational flipper does not use rubber bands, but a hinge. This means it will not close automatically and can be displayed more freely.

Actually, a gravity flipper does have a rubber band, but is designed to open by gravity (that is, does not need to be shaken or 'flicked' - will open up halfway if held be the edges, or by the fixed part of the insert). It will close by itself as does a conventional flipper.

No idea about a magnetic flipper; would assume that instead of rubber bands, it is just hinged, and uses a magnet to keep it closed.

http://coingaffs.com/coingaff_shop/ds_gravity_flipper.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

JohnnyButterfield wrote:
tiggerkim wrote:
A gravitational flipper does not use rubber bands, but a hinge. This means it will not close automatically and can be displayed more freely.

Actually, a gravity flipper does have a rubber band, but is designed to open by gravity (that is, does not need to be shaken or 'flicked' - will open up halfway if held be the edges, or by the fixed part of the insert). It will close by itself as does a conventional flipper.

No idea about a magnetic flipper; would assume that instead of rubber bands, it is just hinged, and uses a magnet to keep it closed.

http://coingaffs.com/coingaff_shop/ds_gravity_flipper.html

Ah, I confused gravitational with magnetic. That was it.