View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An Amusing Reflection on Magic Products since 2007
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 am 
born to perform.

I've been in magic for about 3 years, took a 2 year break, and recently started back up as a hobby. So I've always been interested in all of the effects of magic and creating tricks opposed to going out and performing. ( I did here and there, but nothing professional.) I've been thinking about these comparisons since i've returned to the forums these past weeks.

(2007)

*There seems to be a high demand for highly detailed, and occasionally odd looking back designs on playing cards, which seem to be getting more and more expensive. I'll stick with my $1.50 Bicycles :D

* Brad Christian was wiped off the face of the planet.

* Jay Sankey had Dvd's that didn't repeat tricks on his older Dvd

* Who remembers those sweet videos of Jay Sankey soiling himself? He's our magician equivalent of Fergie.

* 'One Trick Dvds' are a plague.

* Don't get me wrong, Paul Harris is a brilliant creator of magic, but that guy seems a little TOO relaxed if you know what I mean. :wink:

* Ellusionist has upgraded from overpricing effects from well known magicians, to overpricing effects from lesser known magicians.

* The day I walked away completely from Ellusionist, was when they sold 2 separate CIB's as individual Dvds, with extremely similar methods. How blatantly do they want to rip people off?

* Off-topic, but did we every find out if Alvo and Acar were the same person?

* Card Wallets, from the day I've joined, have remained the most important product on Penguin Magic.

Well, feel free to share more comparisons from whenever you've started magic, or just thoughts on how magic is today. Thanks for reading guys.

Post subject: Re: An Amusing Reflection on Magic Products since 2007
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:26 am 
born to perform.

Only from my short time on these forums compared to some others:

*Far less input from Alvo, Maxwell, etc.

*A continuing loosening on the grip of secrets. Anyone can buy just about any effect now, especially with things like Theory11's The Wire at a fairly affordable price. Now it's all down to the practice, execution, presentation (as if it wasn't always)

*Far less direct releases from Paul Harris, Michael Ammar, etc. More of them colaberating with someone who has a kernel of an idea and turning it into a joint project.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 am 
Penguin

Actually, I'm a fan of The Wire from Theory11. I haven't started visiting it often yet but I have a couple things I've thought back and forth about submitting. Some for free, some not. What I like about it though is that it levels the playing field which can motivate people to try to put together better effects, and also naturally get some of the better creators that are lesser known out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 pm 
born to perform.

I do The Wire as well, I was just saying that it's far easier to become a magician now, then say 40 years ago from a what I hear from a lot of the older magicians I know. It's become apparent to me looking from '07 to now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 am 
born to perform.

What a cool thread idea here, nikiel!

Obviously the forums here have slowed down but there is also more consideration towards one another and less bickering and SPAM.

The quality and WOW factor of many gimmicks have certainly improved. Of course new products are being put out all the time with certain items being popular but with technology and imagination these last few years there have been some extra amazing props released. Even D'lites and similar products have improved.

Just to name a few;
Smoke
Various wallets
Psypher
The Extractor
Any Signed Card To Any Wallet
TKO
Sugar Rush
Effects with cell phones