View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Magic Demos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

Most of those falling for the marketing are beginners. In my case I cannot count how many videos I closed out before even getting to the effect, as the demo was so annoying I could not stand to sit through it. But then again a lot of kids and beginners are the target market, they buy on impulse and instant gratification as opposed to smart decision making and based on experience.

I bet they are shocked and disappointed though once they show up at an empty parking lot juggling their black deck, and no hot chicks come flying out of the woodwork with sharpies ready to sign cards...AND their phone numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 am 
Emperor Penguin

Secrets are not as important as presentation value. Some effects are very entertaining, especially comedy effects and effects with great story-lines and audience interaction. Whether the audience knew how it was done or not did not matter, they had a great time. Some effects are made for that purpose, and the secret is simple or doesn't really matter. I have also seen masters of sleight of hand induce yawns, and bore people with their finger-flicking and lack of any patter. I guess today's term for that type of performer is "move monkey", which also is in the same group as "card juggler." Oops I mean X-treme Card Magic.

But for those who lack the required skills necessary to be a competent "performer" then the secret is the most important aspect for them. But most of their purchases are made to appease their own curiosity, and not with any audience in mind, or what their actual needs are. Luckily the item ends up in a junk drawer and eventually on eBay once they discovered how much work is involved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 am 
Penguin

True, it is young and inexperienced magician's who fall for those kinds of demos.

One thing though that I always told myself is there are so many different kinds of people who call themselves magicians. There's the guy with a trick, whose sole repertoire is Scotch and Soda. But he has performed it so many times that he has mastered it. There's the brain, someone who knows so many secrets, but lacks the technical and theatrical skills required to use all that material. There's the card jugglers (I see no shame in this term) who are far more focused in impressing their audience in skill rather than actual magic. And then there's the performer, who is truly just an actor playing the part of a magician.

If someone is inclined to really learn how to be great at magic, I believe they will find a way to do it. They'll ask the right questions, they'll look for the right material, and they'll practice until their fingers/hands ache. Even those looking to do things the easy way have a plethora of material to help get them on their way (Easy to Master Card Miracles springs to mind).

Where do the demo's fit into all this? Perhaps I am a bit of a jerk for thinking this, but they attract and fool those less inclined to really learn the ins and outs of magic. Maybe someone who picks up one of these effects becomes the guy with a trick. I really see nothing wrong with that though. They get out of it what they put in, and hopefully fulfill the purpose that was the reason they got interested in magic to begin with.

-ArchAngel_G