View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help! What is a good buisness card magic trick?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm 
Penguin

Hello,

I want to perform a very short trick as I hand out my business card. I have been looking around but I don't see anything that really jumps out at me. My business card is double sided so the "my card is blank on both sides" trick isn't going to work.

I don't want to do anything with fire because I may hand the card out indoors and don't want to cause any trouble with policy. I also want to stay away from a deck of cards.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what trick I should invest in? It doesn't necessarily have to have been designed for business cards but the method can be applied.

I run a photography studio with the word Magic in the title. I wanted to have a nice effect to show people as I give them my card and extend my portrait services. I think doing a quick trick will make my studio memorable and leave a strong impression. I have been doing magic (mostly as a hobby) for many years. Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: Help! What is a good buisness card magic trick?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I use several business card effects a lot.

Business Card Cardiograph by Brian Curry (Uses cards for a selction but WELL worth it.)

The Pothole Trick - Michael Close (Workers Volume 1)

The El Cheepo Magic Club - Based on Paul Harris' Flash Fold, this is a great routine for kids, and it leaves your business card with the parents. The El Cheepo Magic Club also provides a lesson in using presentation to cover methodological restrictions.

All of these get great reactions.

Business Card Miracles - Ammar DVD by ammar is also pretty good.

Magic with Business Cards (World's Greatest Magic) - DVD Also pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 pm 
Penguin

The first thing that springs to mind is the Rising Card, but with business cards. Ammar teaches it, though in what source I forget. If you understand how the rising card works, it's the same concept.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 am 
born to perform.

Business card transpo. an effect by david penn. but that's not a card trick. I use it A LOT.

Gemini prediction. an effect on the handle with carey DVD. Very good and very practicle.

My card your card. a card effect by Sean Taylor on his DVD, Seven Deadly Sins. I in fact did this effect HEAPS tonight at a wedding gig. very quick, very visual. and they get your business card.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:20 am 
born to perform.

I just use it to write things on. Like predictions. My card itself has playing cards on it which i could force as a revelation if i wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 am 
Penguin

I do the swami "think of a number" effect. It's a quickie and it's super effective. I also use them as the emotion cards when I do a routine similar to Luke Jermays "E.I."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:26 am 
born to perform.

I'll throw the effect, 'Toosh' in to the mix.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12567

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Penguin

I do not know if this would work, but has anyone considered trying to incorporate a business card with the any signed card to any spectators wallet?because that would be extremely memorable if instead of reach into your wallet to give your future client a business card, you reach into their wallet to give them a business card.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:18 pm 
born to perform.

Gregory Wilson-"multi color pen" it is on one of his "in action" DVDs. Really cool trick.
-Ari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:22 am 
Penguin

If this doesn't suit your style, feel free to discard it. I have found that the purest, least convoluted, and most naturally magical business card effect is a dressed-up vanish and reappearance of the card.

The Tenkai palm and retrieval can be combined in many ways to create a wonderfully concise routine.
Furthermore, this approach has one incredibly important advantage over most others: it gives the impression that the card itself has been endowed with the magician's power. That makes it a more valuable item, and gives the impression that the magician can make any object magical. Aside from that, the purity of sleight of hand in "business card situations" is more valuable than effects that involve a process. The logic behind this is as follows: handing out a business card should be a short interaction, and if a magician can manage to infuse a little bit of casual, off-handed magic that just seems to come naturally to the situation, that is a lovely gilded edge. On the other hand, using the business card as an evident "set-up" to start another stand-alone effect detracts slightly from the value of the magic.

In short, the magic should come naturally to the circumstance of handing out the card, rather than the card acting as an excuse to do a trick. It's not the trick that makes the card special; what makes the card special is the fact that it becomes magical in your hands.