View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Widow Packet Trick
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am 
Penguin

I own the Essential Gaffed Deck as well as the DVD. There is a Black Widow Packet Trick advertised with the mdse. But, the DVD does not have a performance or tutorial of the trick. Also, I can't find a performance of the trick anywhere on the web. I have five gaffed cards as follows:

Cards 1-3. Red backs with a spider web on the face.
Card 4. Red back with a spider web and a spider on the face.
Card 5. A double-faced card. A spider web on one side and a spider web and a spider on the other.

So, can anyone help? How is the trick performed? Not the tutorial, just the performance.

Post subject: Re: Black Widow Packet Trick
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am 
born to perform.

Sounds like this trick http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/430

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 pm 
Penguin

To: keepitbottled

The web is a very interesting trick but I don't think it's the same as the "Black Widow Packet Trick." For one thing, it uses some blank cards and for another it uses a realistic spider. My packet just includes five cards which I alluded to above.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:49 pm 
Penguin

I do not know what the trick is but I think the black widow trick includes the double back cards that came with the deck, this is only my theory from the picture on magic makers website. I could be wrong. I also would like to know what the cards with the queens and ace, two, three four on the back as these are not the normal backs put on the queens in a double face deck. Going back to the black widow, I just bought a bunch of little spiders from a halloween web kit and have them fall out of the packet of cards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am 
Penguin

K_Weber wrote:
I do not know what the trick is but I think the black widow trick includes the double back cards that came with the deck, this is only my theory from the picture on magic makers website. I could be wrong. I also would like to know what the cards with the queens and ace, two, three four on the back as these are not the normal backs put on the queens in a double face deck. Going back to the black widow, I just bought a bunch of little spiders from a halloween web kit and have them fall out of the packet of cards

To: K_Weber

I can't find a picture of it on magic makers but found one on Ebay. According to the picture, it's possible that a double backed card is used with the five gaffed "spider" cards. It's not clear to me, but I think that just the five cards are used.

As far as some of the other cards, the queens are double faced cards used in "The Wild Card" trick. The ace, two, three is used for three card monte.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:10 pm 
Penguin

I have never heard of an effect that uses those specific cards before. However, the gaffs in and of themselves are fairly common. So I would say you should research some effects that involve the same gaffs, and alter them to incorporate the spider theme of your cards.

Here is an idea to toss around in your head:
You show a packet of cards that has the following: two cards with empty webs, and two cards with a spider on a web. Claim that you have performed the effect twice already, hence the empty webs. Show the cards front and back, then call attention to one of the the webs that has a spider on it. Turn that card face-down in your hand, and set the others aside. Take a handful of dirt in your free hand, and set the face-down card on top of the dirt pile. After a moment of murmurring and concentration, lift the card to show that a spider is now in the dirt. Begin to breathe life into this spider. It comes to life! Set the dirt and the spider down and close the effect.

Given, this effect gets stronger as it goes along, and the cards themselves would probably take away from the power a little bit. :?
So perhaps you could simplify it by just making a living spider come out of the card without theatricizing it as much as I have illustrated.

I am simply saying that you shouldn't restrict yourself to effects that the cards have been printed for. Experiment with the cards and see what comes of it. Then you may have an effect that is far better than any intended specifically for the cards.