View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help decorating a guest room?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 am 
Penguin

I have just bought a house, and I have one room that i wanna make into a magic room.
I'm planning on have a couch and a tv.
And Im thinking of adding som cardpainting on the wall, a shelf that have som old books (expert at the card table) and maybe some nice cards.

Help too:
choose painting on the wall
what do decorate with
ideas
what would you perfect magic room look like
?

hope you guys can give me some ideas:)

Post subject: Re: Help decorating a guest room?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:17 pm 
Penguin

Perhaps is presumptuous to think that I could offer advice on your magic room. Then again, you did ask for opinions!

If I were to furnish this room, I would use dark woods and deep colors. Personally, I would try to find some bookshelves in the old styles in mahogany or walnut. The furniature would have to match, of course, so I would prefer everything be in a dark wood. To me, hardwoods are classic, and they add an air of mystery and sophistication that accompanies the history of magic as an art (which unfortunately seems to have waned in the new millenium). Aside from a desk, a couch would be in order (something like a victorian seteé to keep with the theme), as well as a table specifically for performances of intimate magic.

Furthermore, if the room is not carpeted, I would add a smart area rug to create a closer atmosphere.

Finally, I would try to have the walls painted black, but I would not leave them this way! Consider blood red velvet drapery (of the sort that resembles the curtains in a theatre) to accent the walls. It creates a setting that resembles a one-room theatre (sort of an homage to the Magic Castle is what I envision), which sets the perfect atmosphere for magic.

Of course it is your own choice, but I would avoid having a television at all costs, due to the distraction it would create from the purpose of the room. A computer works just fine for studying magic videos.

As I said, I wouldn't suggest this to someone who doesn't like the turn-of-the-century theme that I fancy. However, those are my suggestions, and you can take from them what you will (or leave them entirely).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 pm 

This has been a topic a few times in the past, I have shown photos of my older Magic Room.

I recently remodeled the room, a few weeks back. You can see I have a place to rehearse in the mirror, I also have rich burgundy curtains to stand in front of to video-capture practice/rehearsal and to prepare segments for webcast. Behind curtains is a well thought-out organized closet for most of my magic effects. The antique cabinet holds my "A" material.

I don't have enough wall space, so I have my vintage magic posters/art in the living room.

Of course these room reflect my personal taste and how I view magic. You may have an entirely different idea on what you like. Since you're going to be spending a lot of time in your room, make sure you LOVE IT!

Here are the results.

“Ars Celare Verum”
Georges-Robert
Magician - Illusionist - Mentalist

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com
http://www.facebook.com/MysteryandIllusion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm 
born to perform.

DerZauberer wrote:
This has been a topic a few times in the past, I have shown photos of my older Magic Room.

I recently remodeled the room, a few weeks back. You can see I have a place to rehearse in the mirror, I also have rich burgundy curtains to stand in front of to video-capture practice/rehearsal and to prepare segments for webcast. Behind curtains is a well thought-out organized closet for most of my magic effects. The antique cabinet holds my "A" material.

I don't have enough wall space, so I have my vintage magic posters/art in the living room.

Of course these room reflect my personal taste and how I view magic. You may have an entirely different idea on what you like. Since you're going to be spending a lot of time in your room, make sure you LOVE IT!

Here are the results.

“Ars Celare Verum”
Georges-Robert
Magician - Illusionist - Mentalist

http://www.mysteryandillusion.com
http://www.facebook.com/MysteryandIllusion

I imagine if you pulled a particular book from the bookshelf the entire thing opens and leads to a basement filled with magical supplies beyond one's wildest dreams. One of the coolest rooms I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 am 
Penguin

:arrow: I also started my own forum for this, here is the link:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=161087
:arrow: Nicknacks and toys:I have had some time to actually start using my cloffice (closet+office=cloffice :lol: ) now, and I am finding that some of the ideas that have been posted in the other forum, and this one, are very good. For example, the one about having toys and nicknacks to inspire creativity, found in the other forum, is fantastic! If you need to look for things like that, I'd recommend a website shown to me by my brother called thinkgeek:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/
if you look around, I am sure you will be able to find plenty of things as i have.
:arrow: Know how you function: Another suggestion I have as well is to find out what type of learner you are. I know of a website that was given to me by my biology teacher where you take a few tests and it will not only tell you what type of learner you are, but also give you tips on how to use that to your advantage. I am currently on crutches and cannot get down the stairs to find the hand out she gave us, but I will post the link for that tomorrow. I feel that what type of learner you are is important to keep in mind when building your room because you will be able to build your room so that it is designed in a way that you will be productive, creative, and that you will also be able to retain the knowledge that you are taking in from a book or DVD.
:arrow: Mirrors and Cameras: Something else that caught my eye is your idea for a mirror. Absolutely, a mirror is an invaluable resource. I found all of the areas in my room and in my cloffice that I commonly stand in and I tried to place at least one or two mirrors in those spaces. I did this because when you are in front of the mirror, you get instant feed back. If I am inventing a trick, this is exactly what I need. I need to look at what I've just come up with and say "oh that doesn't look how I thought it was going to." or say "wow, that looks fantastic!". I have found that when I am practicing in front of a web cam or, especially, a camera, that by the time I go back and look at the video, my creative train of thought has gone. This however is not to say that a webcam and or a video camera do not have value inside of a magicians inner sanctum! When I go in front of a camera, I treat it as if I am really performing for real people, I do not stop if i fumble, I crack jokes at imaginary audience reactions, etc. after that, I go and I review the film, but I try to look at it multiple times, because each time you look at it, you catch something you didn't before. In conclusion, I feel that both a mirror and a video camera both have a very important roll when creating a room to study/create/practice magic in.
:arrow: Decorations: These are some ideas for decorations that I have had. Cork boards are excellent to have around for decoration, for example, I like to cut up the packaging of some of the boxes that different effects have come in and display it on one of my cork boards. Another thing I do is that every time I encounter a new style of card, I remove the two jokers, and hang them up on the board so that one side is showing how the back of the card looks, and the other side is showing the art work on the joker. Get creative with your old and used cards, the art work on a playing card is beautiful. Why not showcase it? Another idea I have had is I created a calendar out of old cards, each grouping of cards adds up to be the number day that it represents, then I wrote the days of the week onto the packs of some cards and hung them in columns at the top. Each month I just check the calender on my phone to see how it looks and then i rearrange the card calender to fit accordingly. There is also a shelf installed underneath mine, I did this so that I could keep some pens and post it notes to write down events that are coming up and then I simply stick the event to the group of cards that represents the day that the event will occur. I also keep on the shelf, my day to day magic props, i.e. my coin purse, my cards, my wallet etc. this way, every morning when/if :lol: I wake up, I check the calender, and as I do that I also remember to grab my props! Something else that i have experimented with with cards is to recreate certain flourishes with them but in a way that i could hang them on my wall. For example, a double tier fan, would look really neat hanging on a wall. I was sadly unsuccessful with this though, so if you have any good results, please do tell!
:arrow: Cork boards... continued.From a functionality standpoint goes, I think that a cork board and a white board are both extremely valuable tools. When I first create a routine, what I do is I write down each trick I am going to do on a flash card, and I post it to a cork board that I have set aside just for this, this way while I am still ironing out the kinks, I can simply look up say "oh, that's where I was!" and keep going. I can also write in notes about patter, misdirection, etc. a white board will same this same purpose.

Well I hope that that helps you out a little bit, please write back with what you think and what the results of your room are! :D