View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyler Wilson's All of your Beeswax
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:50 am 
Team Penguin

http://www.trcky.com/notebook/2012/07/0 ... r-bees-wax

That has to be one of the most thought provoking essays that I've ever read. Plus, the sandwich effect Tu;er talks about is a really, really great idea.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Tyler Wilson's All of your Beeswax
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm 

Tyler's great, and very insightful.

Post subject: Re: Tyler Wilson's All of your Beeswax
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 am 
born to perform.

i think this, its a great essay. It gets me to question things that most magicians would never even question.

However i do not fully agree. I agree it is important to question the structure and the way we perform the trick. But i disagree if he feels the unpredictable tricks are somehow better than the familiar ones (it might be, but it is often not). His example of the movie Tub and the Avengers. I've never heard of the movie tub till now and Avengers has broken sale records and has been seen and enjoyed by pretty much everyone i know. Surely the "familiar/predictable" has far more merit and success than the unpredictable (even in his own example).

The other thing is in my opinion one of the most important things about strong magic is the clarity of the effect itself. By shuffle the middle of the trick to the front or by "exploring the alphabet" as he called it. It can lead to a very unclear and a convoluted presentation. Possibly causing the spectator to be confused to what the effect actually is in retrospect. As dai vernon said, any time you can eliminate a move, you've improved the trick. And i know that when he says exploring the alphabet he's not necessarily talking about adding extra move (that was just my example).

I agree teh shortest part should not be A->B in a trick. However the effect should be. The method should not be a convoluted exploration of alphabet, but rather 1-well thought out/excited concept which will make the trick's effect clear. eg A->F->B