View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: this guy was rude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

ok, i was at carvel doing magic for some employees and a customer walks in, and the employees say to him, hey this kid does magic!!! so i was pretty shy about it, and he was like ok kid show me what you got, this guy was like 40 and i was a kid, so i already knew something bad was going to happen so i figured i would do a pick a card trick or something, so he took a card, he put it back in the deck, and he was like wait, and he tried to grab the deck from mean and i pulled it back and said what? and he was like, no, no, you blew it, you blew it and walked away and paid for his ice cream, i didnt even do anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

He prolly forgot his card or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 pm 
born to perform.

Hecklers. Who need em? Go to the Outs and One Liners sections of the forum. You might find some helpful stuff there so if something like this ever happens again and other people are watching you, you can think of a joke or a funny line to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 am 
born to perform.

The best lines for hecklers are for people you already know..

You shoulda just made the best of the situation and said something like "I guess Im too good, I dont have to do the whole trick" Or I dunno some line like that lol and then continued to do card tricks for your friends (employees)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:27 am 

Yeah. One liners always gets them.

I've found that when someones ask you to do a trick on the spot. Warm them up.

Do a few fancy cuts like Sybils, and some good shuffles, it should really grab there attention. Theng o in for the trick. I'm sure it'll work, has done for me.

Moved to Genereal Magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:38 am 
born to perform.

No, doing fancy cuts and shuffles just says, "hey, look at me. I can shuffle cards better than you hahahahahaha".

Just do one fancy cut but comment on it saying how much of your time you wasted practicing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:27 pm 
Team Penguin

dude...the guy wasn't being a heckler, he just wanted to inspect the deck which you should have let him do unless you had something to hide. HE said you blew it...how do you know this guy wasn't a talent scout or something? He could have meant something much deaper than you blew the trick...he might have meant that you blew your chance at a great career. You must learn to play off situations and deal with people in a fair unrude manner...sure it was rude of him to grab the deck...but look at it from his view...if he was a talent scout, why would he help a guy out that uses a rigged deck that can be bought at a magic shop (he might have thought you were useing a rigged deck even though you probably wasn't)

You see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:04 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
dude...the guy wasn't being a heckler, he just wanted to inspect the deck which you should have let him do unless you had something to hide. HE said you blew it...how do you know this guy wasn't a talent scout or something? He could have meant something much deaper than you blew the trick...he might have meant that you blew your chance at a great career. You must learn to play off situations and deal with people in a fair unrude manner...sure it was rude of him to grab the deck...but look at it from his view...if he was a talent scout, why would he help a guy out that uses a rigged deck that can be bought at a magic shop (he might have thought you were useing a rigged deck even though you probably wasn't)

You see?

exactly you could have done a classic force I use it every time I do a pick a card trick even when it is not a force as and out just in case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:11 pm 
Penguin

kyle you give me the crepes...you sound like my parents lol.....you are correct though he could have been anyone a scout. Maybe even a priest at the local church and he wanted you to be a alter boy or someone cool like that :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

yeah, it sucks when someone tries to heckle you.
When he said, "you blew it" you could have blown on the deck
and made his card jump to the top.

don't worry to much about the guy. As a magician you will encounter hecklers all the time. the more you perform, you will learn how to manage audiences and deal with people.
best of luck,
Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:26 pm 
Penguin

Actually running into hecklers are kinda good..It prepares you better for the future so you wont get all jumpy when a fools does it again...Now next time edited know what to do thanks to these forums :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:17 pm 

kenjac wrote:
No, doing fancy cuts and shuffles just says, "hey, look at me. I can shuffle cards better than you hahahahahaha".

Just do one fancy cut but comment on it saying how much of your time you wasted practicing it.

I dont mean doing it as if showing off.

Just subtly, to show you have skill and you are serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:55 pm 
born to perform.

pookie wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

You see?

exactly you could have done a classic force I use it every time I do a pick a card trick even when it is not a force as and out just in case

i couldnt, he took over the spread him self and took out a card, then when he went to put it back he didnt just take the deck, he tryed to yank it out of my hands, a talent scout wouldnt try to yank it out of my hands, and i didnt do ANYTHING but not let him yank the deck out of my hands, and he overreacted and said thats it you blew it, and he walked away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:50 am 
Team Penguin

How do you know a talent scout would not do that? Talent scouts usually do strange things to see how you would react to a situation. I was going to be in a play...which I got the part I wanted...but anyways...during auditions (you must recite a monologue) one of them purposely (you could not tell it was on purpos) knocked over a loud plastic bottle. During another actors audition (who did not get the part) one of the scout's cell phone began to ring. The actor got destracted...what the scouts were doing was simple...they even explained it to us. They purposely made a distration to see how the actors would react to a distraction in the audience.

The scout (if he was) might have been testing what you would do in a heckler situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:02 am 
born to perform.

I think the guy was testing how good you are. The problem with most magicians (no offense) is that we have to be in control over everything to get the trick to work, and so very often do we give the spectator any kind of part in whats really going on. For those of you who read "Card Ideas" you know that about half of those effects Simon's back was turned while the spectator cut to a card and shuffled the deck. For those of you who havent been studing your magic history (shame on you), in the vaudville days of card magic, the spectator would return the card to the deck, and the spectator would shuffle, then the magician would find it. It's almost silly to suggest that if you put the card back into the deck, and if you shuffle it, that its magic when you find it. I dont think this guy was being a jerk, I think we wanted to be completly fooled. I try to be as fair as possible when I perform as well, most of the time cards are not selected they are either named, or I riffle very slowly with my head turned away while they call "stop", its very fair and with the right effects, no one grabs the deck. Or maybe the guy just picked up on the fact that you where nervous and decided to give you a hard time. In which case, try not to be nervous or it'll keep happening.