View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is your favorite Penguin Lecture?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 pm 
Penguin

So what is your favorite Penguin Lecture? I am thinking of going back and buying some I missed. But there were some I didn't enjoy so much, so I would like some input other than just the reviews. I enjoyed Mark Mason and Greg Wilson the most. Marks explanations were wonderfully thorough. Greg showed so many effects, they seemed to keep him on forever. Nice job guys.

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite Penguin Lecture?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 pm 
Penguin

I've only purchased about a half-dozen lectures, so I can't rank the "best." But I can tell you two that were very good for their subject matter. One is the second Oz Pearlman lecture, on corporate gigs, and the other is the second is Gazzo's second lecture, on busking. Both were not so much about tricks, as they were about the business techniques. (I didn't see either first lecture, but my impression was that those more trick-focused.)

I wish that Penguin would do a better job on communicating the subject matter, even if it means rewriting the descriptions after the lecture. While you can be pretty sure that Richard Osterlind will be talking about mentalism, and some other magicians might be talking about card magic, most of the time I have very little idea what they will be discussing.

The reviews are helpful, but not all the lectures have many or thorough reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 am 
born to perform.

Dan Harlan and Kenton Knepper are my favorite ones.

However most of them are pretty good anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm 
Penguin

Definitely Woody Aragon. His thinking is so creative and minimalist, and the tricks he offers really highlight his style and approach to card magic. The tricks are easy but appear impossible. He also offers tons of advice and tips; the lecture is moderated by Eric Jones, who does a great job injecting questions into the flow of his talk without being obtrusive, as well as providing a solid Q&A section.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:15 pm 
Penguin

How could I forget Woody's? It was great. I have enjoyed all but one of the lectures I have seen here. Good to get their insight and usually pick up at least one effect that would cost almost as much as the lecture on it's own.
I realize we have people on all levels and interests on here, but this is an interesting question to me. I am a "hobbyist" who entertains professional people at work with a minor miracle now and then. Though I have thought it would be fascinating to try to do some restaurant work. But alas, I am 62! I fear that ship has sailed.

Enjoying the responses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 pm 
born to perform.

62?!! You're a young whippersnapper! Get out there and hit those restaurants, there is one for everybody. Don't forget about those family pizza joints.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 pm 
Penguin

I enjoyed all of them but I really liked joshua jays.. seemed like a really great sincere guy and taught a lot too..
I also enjoyed Daniel Garcia - lots of impromptu stuff and he was so funny! Andrew maynes was wonderful as well.

and all these lectures were over 3 hours!