View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Publicity Stunts. Dos and Don'ts ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 am 
born to perform.

So has anyone ever done a publicity stunt? I know they have always been a big thing for escape artists, and sometimes mentalists, since Houdini's day and age but you don't hear a lot of working pros mention them to much.

Here is the deal:
I created a crime oriented magic show to help cross sell my novel. http://the-boxman.com/ It is a fun show, I spent several months developing it and have audience tested it twice so I am pretty confident with it. I am now ready to start selling the show for parties and corporate events. I had planned on the usual, get some restaurant gigs and work the phones, but a unique opportunity showed up.

My Dad runs a small museum in an old Railroad Depot in town. In the old Western Union office in the depot is an old safe(The combo has been lost to time). The safe is antique and it is doubtful anything more valuable than the safe itself resides within it. Thus they have avoided the locksmith because the local guy just does drilling, not manipulation, and the museum doesn't want the safe damaged. So here is my opportunity to manipulate it in a very public way. This in turn can be leveraged into free publicity for both the book and the magic show.

So I am just looking for general thoughts on a publicity stunt of this sort. Thanks....

Post subject: Re: Publicity Stunts. Dos and Don'ts ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am 
Penguin

I don't know where you live. But if I had a crime-themed show I'd drop a dime to the curator of the National Museum of Crime and Punishment in Washington, DC, http://www.crimemuseum.org/

Museums are always looking for special events that complement their collections.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the tip. I live clear across the country but if I go on the road I will definitely contact them!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
Penguin

Just sent you a P.M. on plublicity stunts as I've none many, years ago.

Don