View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Is it ethical to sell (or buy) used magic DVDs?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 pm 
Penguin

I look at it this way: I rent all of my college textbooks, or sell them after the semester is over. I retain the knowledge, although I've sold or returned the books (and not made a copy of my own of course). I see no reason why you couldn't watch a magic dvd or read a book, retain the knowledge in your memory, and sell it to another magician to learn from. I'm against giving/selling to laymen to expose the secrets of course. Just my 2 cents!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm 
Penguin

I like the controversy in this topic, but I guess I'll second a statement already said.

If you do not use the contents in your purchased DVD or Book, then you wasted your money. If you sell that to a friend/fellow-magician, for equal to or less money than you originally bought it for, then the creator still got paid for that item that is only being used by one person, and you experience no-to-little financial loss.

Sure; You know the secrets now, I just hope your ethics prevent you from telling others the secrets (beyond the person you sold your item to).

Now if you use the contents on said item, that makes it a little different of a story, with a few variants. In that case, I think it depends on the type of DVD you're selling.

Is it a beginners guide? (Like Bobo's Modern Coin magic, currently on DVD format as well) If it is, it seems a little more ethical, because you're trying to help somebody else get started.

Is it a collaboration of tricks? (Like Eric Jones' "An Extension of Me") In this case, I think it depends on how many tricks you perform here. If you use a very small amount, it's similar to the wasting your money concept. However, if you use a good portion of the material, then I believe you're scamming the creator, because on a $30 DVD, they just get a fraction of what they should've from the DVD, making life as a creative magician harder, and can discourage future products.

Finally, if the DVD/Book is a one trick pony (Like "Triumph" on this website, or David Stone's "Window", or "The Manchurian Approach")? In this case, I'd say it is very unethical to sell the DVD/Book, because, as stated before, the original creator is only getting half the income they should, which might not sound like much, but every DVD scammed that way is preventing the creator from getting $30 or whatever the price is. And that money would go to their house bills, their food, or into making new tricks for us.

Sorry for the Length, and thank you for your time,
~TJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Penguin

i think its okay to sell your old dvds but whats not ethical is to download them for free!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Penguin

It's sad to see how many people are totally ok with stealing. You paid for a secret, you learned the secret, it does not matter if you use the secret or not. The secret does not become yours to sell. If you do sell it you are taking money directly away from the inventor, which is called stealing!!! You are no different than a common thief.