View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: school bus magic
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:03 am 
Penguin

i've been wanting to post this for a while. this is my first post so here it goes.. i drive a school bus and have been doing close up magic for the last few kids on the bus everyday in the evening! i always have a game plan, because the kids have gotten used to me doing magic for them everyday. of course i act like i just do it on the spot, but little do they know i plan ahead so i'm always a step ahead! if you were a bus driver, what would be some good ideas or tricks to perform, if you were a bus driver?

Post subject: Re: school bus magic
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 pm 
Penguin

A bit more info would help answer the question-

How old are the kids?
Is the bus in park so you can take your hands off the wheel?
How long do you have to perform for them?
Do you wear a hat?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:54 pm 
Penguin

That's tough because you have only a short time to perform and (presumably) no surface to work on, which rules out a lot of effects. One you could do is to have one kid choose between red and black, another choose the specific suit, another choose odd or even, and still another choose a card number. Then you pull out your invisible deck or brainwave deck, and wallah....there is their collectively chosen card.

Another that would work well on the fly with no surface needed is the bite-out quarter. But depending on how young the kids are, you might not want to model any behavior that involves putting a coin in your mouth.

P.S. Do you wear a hat?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:11 pm 
Penguin

The bus is in park yes. Is there magic u can do while your hands are on the wheel?? If so that would be unorthadox :-). The kids are around fifth - seventh grade. ( easy to fool ). cp: it's very strange u suggested that exact same invisible deck routine i've already performed ;-). In all i have just a couple mins to act. I dont prefer to make them wait too long for patter and stuff due to their attention span. Although i love the patter. Its what makes legerdemaine more memorable!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:12 pm 
Penguin

P.s. Not that all kids of the age are easy to fool just these particular ones!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am 
Penguin

You are in a great situation for magic! You have complete control of your immediate environment. I would hide a card under a seat or tape it to the other side of a window and then force the card.

Check out Jay Sankey's KALEIDOSCOPE DVD, most of it is performed with regular objects you could find on a bus, it's all pretty easy to do and you don't need a table for most of it. Check out Descendent specifically, it is a very cool trick with a pencil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 pm 
Penguin

I will check that out ! I've thought about taping a card outside the window before the route ,but afraid it would be seen. I like the idea of taping under a seat or something similar!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:50 am 
Penguin

You're in a great position for the Two-Card Monte trick (it's done in the hands, no surface needed). You show two playing cards, one face up and one face down. You put the face up card behind your back and ask them what the face down card you're holding out front is. They're ALWAYS wrong, the cards have switched places no matter how many times you do it. It's a super easy move that fools them every time and you can carry it in your front pocket or wallet (you're just carrying two cards...really). I haven't checked the current price but it's gotta be like two or three bucks.

I would also recommend learning some basic sleight-of-hand, there's lots of books and dvds the guys can recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 pm 
Penguin

Save your best magic, for Field Trips. Then you will have more time, and can control your surroundings. Cliff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm 
Penguin

skycap and smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 pm 
Penguin

When I was a kid, one of the first tricks I recall baffling the other kids with was the Chinese Sticks. Penguin has a wooden set for 12 bucks. You can take them out of your glove compartment (do buses have glove compartments?) and come up with some story as to how you came across these from ancient China. While this is hardly a new effect, it will be new to the kids on your bus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Penguin

Thanks, guys! By all means keep the ideas coming. It's summer vacation time now and about a month left. By the time school starts again, i'm hoping to have a stock full of ideas. I'm taking notes on all suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm 
Penguin

Smoke would work in that environment but I don't think I'd do it in a school bus with all the anti smoking stuff out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
Penguin

Almost all of Richard Sander's stuff would work