View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tricks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 am 
Penguin

I have a few great tricks that I made regularly, how is the best way to publish them? I would really like to publish through penguin. I could even do them as instant downloads and show how to make gimmicks, they aren't hard to make at all. Thank you.
Is there a way to send one in?

Post subject: Re: Tricks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm 
Penguin

https://www.penguinmagic.com/partner/welcome.php

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:16 pm 
Penguin

I don't know how I quite missed that, thanks, so you just submit it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm 
Penguin

Hey This is an Article by Rick Lax that covers that exact subject. This is his way of handling a new idea, I can't say I agree with every step but it's an interesting aproach. The article came from Theory11.

"Every month I get dozens of messages from young magicians across the globe. Often, the letters go like this: “Hey Rick. I’ve got a great idea for a magic trick. Can I tell you about it so you can make me a theory11 artist?” If you’ve written me a letter like that, or if you’re thinking about writing me one, let me give you a couple of tips. Let me tell you what I do after stumbling onto a good idea.
First Step: I make a video of the trick and put it on YouTube.
Often it’s hard to judge a trick’s merit from words alone, so I use my webcam or cellphone camera to shoot a video of the trick, and then I upload it to YouTube, publicly or privately.
If I’m worried about other magicians stealing my idea, or if it’s just not yet ready for the world to see, I go to YouTube Settings and make my video “Unlisted.” That way, only people with the secret link can see your video. That way, you can share it only with specific people you know and trust.
Next step: Modesty. When I come up with an idea, I don’t immediately say, “What a great new trick!”I ask, “Has anybody thought of this trick before?”
If I've got a good idea, there’s a real chance somebody has had the idea before me—somebody who’s already published it. So I ask around before claiming the idea as my own.
If I want other magicians to watch my trick, I ask nicely. I don’t say, “Watch this trick now and comment!” And I don’t post the trick on other people’s Facebook walls. And I don’t tag other people in the video if they weren't involved in the production. If I want to share my new work with people I respect, I do it in a respectful way: via private message or email.
This is an important part of the creative process: It’s important to share your work, one-on-one, with people you know personally and trust.
They’ll likely have ideas that will make your good ideas even better. They’ll offer a different perspective and pull from a different knowledge base. And remember to always thank people for their input. Even if you don’t end up using it.
Now, if you’ve gone through those steps and you still think you have something great, share it with theory11 on the official submission page.
Smart guys like Jonathan Bayme and Dan White watch every one of these videos, and if your idea is good enough, you’ll hear back. If your first idea doesn’t get much of a response (or your second idea or your third), don’t stop creating and don’t stop sharing. I probably thought up a dozen magic tricks before thinking up my first good one.
So work hard, be polite, and remember: Everybody loves a good idea. When you’ve got one, people will take notice."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm 
Penguin

Hey, thanks a lot guys!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 pm 
Team Penguin

Hey guys!

That's awesome that you're so dedicated to submitting the effects! We're looking forward to seeing them.

Also, @Goatears, that is an absolutely fantastic essay by Rick Lax. I'd only add a couple of things to it if you're looking to get published:

1) Go out and perform it.

You shouldn't be thinking anything at all "When you come up with a new idea" other than "What is the best way to perform this for laypeople?" I never even consider releasing something unless I've performed the idea for at least a few months. When someone sends me a trick, it's pretty easy to tell if they've actually performed it or not.

2) Put your all into the video.

I have seen way too many grainy webcam videos of a dude in pajamas with a description apologizing for the trick. "Sorry about the flash, it's a weird angle..." Actually dressing up and filming with a decent camera (even an iPhone) can make a BIG difference in how people perceive your effect.

The Partner Program is a great place to submit them, for sure. We get a lot of submissions, but you should hear back pretty soon from it.

All the best,
-Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 am 
Penguin

Hey Cody, pretty cool. How long have you been performing? You mentioned you created a few tricks regularly; you mean you perform them regularly for your audiences? I was just about to recommend the article that Rick Lax wrote, above. It's a great read from someone very experienced at doing this!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm 
Penguin

Yeah Rob, what I meant was, I make tricks on a regular basis, and I preform them for audiences, I only got into magic a few years ago, and I'm young so that makes things harder to publish and such, How bout you?