View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most Well Designed Magic Book
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 am 
Team Penguin

Hey guys!

When I buy a book on magic, I look for good material. But another thing I look for is ease of learning; I know everyone here has bought that one book where the explanation just wasn't clear. Something that I think can help a lot with this is having a book that looks really, really nice.

Having recently been impressed by Above the Fold by Rich Aviles, Reinventing the Real by Tyler Wilson and pretty much anything Vanishing Inc puts out, I'm looking for other examples of great design in magic books.

What do you guys think is the most well designed magic book (aesthetically pleasing, ease of use, etc)

All the best,
-Chris

Post subject: Re: Most Well Designed Magic Book
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:50 pm 
born to perform.

What are these "books" you speak of?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm 
Penguin

This is an easy one, The Magic of Francis Carlyle (1975) is unlike any other magic book ever produced. The close-up pics are unbelievable, I wish every magic book looked like this. Nothing before or since even comes close. I see copies over on bookfinder.com but the good copies aren't cheap (I've got 4 copies myself because I'm just plain greedy).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am 
Penguin

I guess the best book I have is Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic. But for my learning style I much prefer a good video. I have some very good lecture notes from Harry Anderson - those are quite good, but I still prefer video.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 am 
Penguin

I loved Joshua Jay's Complete Course. I wish that book had been around when I was first getting into magic. The instructions and photos were very clear, plus it came with a bonus dvd that explained a number of the effects.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:30 pm 
Penguin

I love the format of Jay Sankey's books by Vanishing Inc. but my favorite books are Paul Harris's I love that these are instructional but still so fun to read:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:

It's a lot like a DVD, except the pictures don't move, it has a lot of words, it's printed on paper, and it's nothing at all like a DVD. :D

I'll second Paul Harris. I think his AoA series was the easiest read I've ever had. It was written in a simple, fun language without compromising on quality. I also liked how each effect was broken up into steps, making it easy to follow along with what he was writing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:51 pm 
Team Penguin

salmononius2 wrote:
akirafist wrote:

It's a lot like a DVD, except the pictures don't move, it has a lot of words, it's printed on paper, and it's nothing at all like a DVD. :D

I'll second Paul Harris. I think his AoA series was the easiest read I've ever had. It was written in a simple, fun language without compromising on quality. I also liked how each effect was broken up into steps, making it easy to follow along with what he was writing.

I always forget about AoA. Brilliant, chatty sort of explanation. Lots of fun to read.