View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ELECTRO by Josh Burch!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 am 
Penguin

Hey everyone! I'm super stoked after over a year of production and years of using this effect in my close up act, competitions and casual performances it is finally here! After months of work from some of the best in the business it is finally here!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3362

This is my first project on card magic and I hope you find something that suits you! If you have any questions please ask away!

Post subject: Re: ELECTRO by Josh Burch!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am 
Penguin

I am relatively new to card magic. Your effect looks great! Is a DL required? I hope this is not asking for too much info.
Thank you
Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
Penguin

In the main effect you have a selection taken from a blue as well as a red deck they are noted and returned to their respective decks. The decks are shuffled together, shown mixed and immediately the cards un-mix with the exception of the selections. You get to involve multiple spectators, the startling reveal of a stranger card in each deck (ala Chicago opener), the immediate un-shuffling of a shuffled deck (ala open triumph) and a clean separation of red and blue cards (ala oil and water). Plus this uses regular decks of cards without any gimmicks and while it requires a moderate set up you are left virtually clean at the end and can move on with your regular set.

There is a handling for a single deck that you can perform on the fly with a similar effect. For this handling you will learn an original utility move of mine that you can use to force or switch a card that will come in handy in other routines.

You will also receive a unique variation on Electro with photographs that can presented as an eerie, piece of visual mentalism with a sweet kicker ending. I'm excited to see how magicians personalize this and make it their own.

As an extra bonus you will learn how to cheat at solitaire. The spectator shuffles a deck of cards, you show them the faces and with out any sleight of hand you or the participant begin to deal a perfect game of solitaire. This is completely hands off, the spectator does it all, it fools magicians and laymen and instantly resets. I think that it is one of the easiest demonstrations of card cheating around.

So please take a look I hope you like what you see ask me questions and pick my brain I hope i can help you get the most possible out of these effects :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm 
Penguin

dbrent47 wrote:
I am relatively new to card magic. Your effect looks great! Is a DL required? I hope this is not asking for too much info.
Thank you
Dennis

There are no DL's required in the main effect but in one of the variations there is. If you are new to card magic the main effect is a bit difficult but I have included simpler versions with a single deck and photos as well as a bonus effect called Instant Solitaire that is completely self working.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 am 
Penguin

With a triumph being such a popular effect in magic I wanted to make it clear that I have done my homework and thoroughly researched my effect. Here's what I gathered :)

Dai Vernon’s "Triumph" as well as his predisessors De Land, Jordan, Gibson, Loraine
I owe the final display to Frank Everhardt and his "Chicago Opener". This was the feel I wanted to go for to reveal the selections although I know that the use of a stranger card predates the Chicago opener.
Walter E. Gibson’s "Oil and Water" plays a big part in the plot as well.
Mixing together of two decks, one red-backed, one blue, is Annemann's “The Red and Blue Mix-Up” in The Book Without a Name, 1931. It is different in both method and general effect, but the idea is similar.
Larry Becker's “Out of This Universe” in Genii, August 1955, has a similarity he's using the face colors of a single deck. The reds and blacks separate, with two selections the only odd members of each group.
Al Stevenson "Color Separation" using face colors rather than two decks. Appeared in 75 Tricks With a Stripper Deck, of course the method if different.
There are certain aspects that are borrowed from Walter Gibson's “The Instantaneous Reversing Pack" in Twenty New Practical Card Tricks, 1925. The concept borrowed from this probably predates. My direct inspiration for this principle was from Dani Daortiz.
Richard Turner's demonstration of False Shuffling using multiple decks in "Fans, Flourishes, and False Shuffles" by Richard Turner
I believe Ed Marlo mentions a certain aspect of the method in "Faro Systems", also unless I am mistaken Alex Elmsley uses a similar method in his handling of triumph. Danny Garcia uses a similar technique in a color separation that he created.
Mariano Goni has a very similar plot with one deck and different method. I have contacted him and he approved of the release

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:22 am 
Penguin

The reviews have been coming in and they have been very kind! Thank you all so much for your support! I just wanted to take a couple reviews and dissect the issues they have. If you have any questions please ask away!

I've cut up the reviews a bit to address specific problems, I wish that I could have been more clear the day of filming with some of these things but details always tend to fall through the cracks. I hope this helps out.

“I'm a fan of josh Burch his unbuttoned effect was great. The main electro effect I did not like at all. It is much better if you can do a table faro which I cannot do.”

Just to be clear you do not need to do a perfect faro, the effect looks cleaner and has a simpler clean up if you do. It is purely a matter of taste.

“But the one deck version is very good and I am going to use that a lot.
He also teaches a version which photos a instant solitaire demonstration (its not really a trick) and a force called the twirl force. There's a lot of bang for your buck so if it interests you I say go for it at the very cheap price of 10 bucks!”

“Ya this is okay and I do like it but......
I have some complaints. First he says a spectator can touch a certain amount of cards”

Their choice is fairly open, I give 2 ways to avoid any problems, you can slowly go through the cards pausing on each one or do a one handed fan. If they do not want to cooperate after your first 2 tries you could try to force one of the cards necessary but understand that it is somewhat difficult to force a card in this position and if a spectator who is giving you a hard time before will likely give you a hard time when you try to force a card on them. In this situation I find that it is more effective to maintain control of the situation and move on rather to challenge a confrontational or hostile spectator.

“so instead of giving advice and telling you how to handle that situation he says, " I would just go on to a different spectator if thats how he is going to be." that to me is not professional. I wouldn't just say," you can't pick a card because you are trying to take cards that i am not letting you take"

In another circumstance you may handle this another way but in this effect if they do not take one of the correct card they will see the workings of the trick. If you want to perform this effect you need to move onto another spectator, if you’re okay with performing something else you could move on to a different trick.

Thank you for the reviews. I love hearing feedback so I can put out better products in the future. Feel free to ask questions here or contact me on my facebook page.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm 
Penguin

Hey everyone. I just got my copy of the DVD. I was a little worried because as reviews come in there are some comments about me flashing a lot. I was careful to check out those problem areas in the dvd. I found 2 main spots where I flash once in the 2 deck performance and once in the single deck performance.

In the 2 deck version they included a live performance. We filmed 5 different live performances of this effect, 4 of these performances were flawless. In the performance that they included on the DVD the wind picks up at a weak part of the trick and ends up flashing a hidden something. I'm glad that they included this performance on the DVD because you get to see my recovery and the participant is still impressed at the end. If you'd like to see a couple more flawless performances you can see the unplugged performance on the main product page at penguinmagic.com as well as the in studio performance. I have used this for the past few years in my close up act and have never had the problem you see in the DVD if you have any questions regarding this problem please email, PM, or message me on Facebook.

The second part where I kinda flash is in the performance of the one deck version. I think that people are referring to what the performer sees when performing the twirl force. From the front this looks great, from behind or over the shoulder it doesn't look as great. They filmed the performance almost over the shoulder so that you can see what is happening from my perspective. If you do not like this force I do offer an alternate handling :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
Penguin

Check out the cool box today!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3362