View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black magic/art
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Penguin

Maybe not everyone's favorite in magic but i want to learn more about this form of magic. I found a book called black art breakthroughs. Does anyone knows where i can find more?

Post subject: Re: Black magic/art
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Penguin

Out of curiousity, what exactly do you mean by Black Magic? Like talking to the dead?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm 
Penguin

No man not that kind of stuff just the sick minded kind of magic shocking illusions and such

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm 
Penguin

Oh, like Mr. Angel does? Burning yourself to reveal a selected card, stabbing a needle through your arm, and things of this nature?

The only thing that I, personally, know of that'd be of any interest is "Freak" by Will Houston. I'm not sure what all is featured in it, but it's not too hard to find out what's shown in the video.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 am 
Penguin

LOL, ummm no. Black art is the Black on Black principle used to vanish or appear objects. Literally millions of uses for the Black Art principle, but none used for Voodoo or Bizarre magick.

Thanks for the chuckle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm 
Penguin

It reminds me of, a good while back, when my sister asked me if I wanted to see the movie "Heathers." I said that I wasn't sure I was up for a black comedy, especially during Christmas week.

I could tell from the look on her face that something was wrong, but I had no idea what. Finally she said, "I need to tell you how offensive and racist that was to me." It took me a moment to understand, but after I explained that the term "black comedy" has nothing to do with Black people, we had a good laugh. We now call those "colored comedies."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:23 pm 
Penguin

Like the other guy said, Black Magick and Black Art art two totally different topics. Black Art is a magician's principle where there is generally a flat-black backdrop. This allows anything covered in black on stage to be totally invisible. Lighting is very important as is the type of material used, which has to be flat black, like felt, and non-reflective. Objects can be made to vanish, appear, float across the stage, etc. Humans, too.

The best book on the subject is DARWIN'S INEXPENSIVE ILLUSIONS by Gary Darwin (1997). It's out of print but you can probably find a used copy over on e-bay or bookfinder.com The second best book is DON DRAKES BLACK ART BREAKTHROUGHS, I think that's the one you have. There are other books, and a bunch of illusions that rely on this principle, but nothing compares to those two books, which will make you a expert in the area of Black Art.

Black Magick is a realm of the occult, another forum altogether. Don't feel bad about confusing the two, we constantly have to educate newbs.

BTW, I own all of the Osborne's Illusion books, it took me years and quite a bit of money to collect them, and yet my favorite illusion book of all time is that Darwin Illusion book mentioned above. I learned more illusion principles out of that book than all the Osborne illusion books combined, most of which amount to a box jumpers and falses base of some sort.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 am 
born to perform.

You gents are technically correct about the definitions of Black Art vs. Black Magic though I do have one nitpicky addendum. Black art is a very common technique for "Spook shows," "Séance Shows," and other Bizarre magic. So while they are technically different, one referring to a performance style and the other a technique, they are closely linked.