View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: card trick gimmick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:05 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 952
What is a good card trick that involves one gimmicked card, or some sort of gimmick that can be carried around in a wallet, and used with a borrowed deck.?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:56 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 5856
Location: www.anythingmagic.net
Alan Rorrison's Don't Lose Your Head!!!!!!!

Alanrorrison.com for details.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:25 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 393
Location: Hollywood, California
I personally would suggest that you learn some things that you can do with a borrowed deck without gimmicks (Ambitious Card, Two Card Monte, etc.). But if I had to suggest getting a gimmick, I would suggest getting a Special Assortment Deck. You can just pick and choose which cards you like, and then slip them into a borrowed deck.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=543


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Learn Doc Eason's "Anniversary Waltz"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 952
themagicofadam wrote:
I personally would suggest that you learn some things that you can do with a borrowed deck without gimmicks (Ambitious Card, Two Card Monte, etc.). But if I had to suggest getting a gimmick, I would suggest getting a Special Assortment Deck. You can just pick and choose which cards you like, and then slip them into a borrowed deck.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=543


Yea, i've been doing magic for quite some time...and i've been a member here for a long period of time.... i know an abundance of non gimmicked card tricks...that is why i am asking for something different.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 1034
Location: Copperfield's warehouse...or Alakazam
I wouldn't suggest thinking of, "what's a good gimic to use?." I'd think, "What is the effect I want to achieve?" By using the second choice, you can then put slights and gimics together to acheive your goal. Or, just post what you're thinking of doing and perhaps someone here will know of an effect you can purchase.

Craig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:05 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 5856
Location: www.anythingmagic.net
DaveV wrote:
Learn Doc Eason's "Anniversary Waltz"



Or if you were to carry some different colored cards with you you can throw a single card in and do Paul Green's Coming Together which is basically the same thing as Anniversary Waltz, only without the ungimmicked Card.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 1241
Location: Ottawa Canada
anniversary waltz is by chris carter - http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=5303

doc's name comes second, i think he only helped. chris was the one that invented it, according to him anyway.

if you're looking for something to keep in your wallet. i would suggest a trick called "kolossal killer" rather than a gimmicked card. i carry it on me at all times. there's some pretty good variations of it in "killer konceptions"

basically, you tell someone you have one card you always keep in your wallet, then you get them to name any card. you simply pull it out of your wallet. (no, you don't have 52 cards in your wallet) it hits pretty hard, and with killer konceptions, they give routines where you can let the spectators remove the card from the wallet.

i'd say it's one of the strongest things you can carry on you at all times.

it's sold on penguin here, it's a manuscript by kenton knepper


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
mullen wrote:
anniversary waltz is by chris carter - http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=5303

doc's name comes second, i think he only helped. chris was the one that invented it, according to him anyway.


You're right, my apologies. I never would have heard of the trick if it wasn't for Doc though. It's just my opinion, but I think it's Doc's recognizing the value of an otherwise unknown effect and reworking it that made it as good as it is today. And the work doesn't stop there. Since then another improvement has been made and that too has now been added to Doc's handling of this effect.

I also like KK, but it's more of a setup than just a one or two card gaff. I keep a separate wallet just for this trick. Have you seen John Archer's handling of it? It trims down the effect even more and turns it into a really funny presentation. He calls it "Komedy Killer."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:33 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 13 Nov 2004
Posts: 81
If the borrowed deck is a red backed deck, Cyril's "Moving Pips" has to be the single most powerful gimmicked effect in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 1241
Location: Ottawa Canada
DaveV wrote:
mullen wrote:
anniversary waltz is by chris carter - http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=5303

doc's name comes second, i think he only helped. chris was the one that invented it, according to him anyway.


You're right, my apologies. I never would have heard of the trick if it wasn't for Doc though. It's just my opinion, but I think it's Doc's recognizing the value of an otherwise unknown effect and reworking it that made it as good as it is today. And the work doesn't stop there. Since then another improvement has been made and that too has now been added to Doc's handling of this effect.

I also like KK, but it's more of a setup than just a one or two card gaff. I keep a separate wallet just for this trick. Have you seen John Archer's handling of it? It trims down the effect even more and turns it into a really funny presentation. He calls it "Komedy Killer."


i havn't seen john archer's handling. where can i see it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
It's on his DVD "Educating Archer."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2713
mystery card by oz pearlman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:14 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 1
i have a verry good trick that involes 1 gimmic card, the only down side is that they need to agree 2 ruin 1 of ther cards, its form JB Magic and its caled tag, by Chastain Criswell. all the trick is is u have them select a card, sign it with a magic marker, retun it to the deck, u pick out a card that isn't thers and you procede to puch a hole in it and put a tag in it and then the spectator pulles on the tag and magicly it is there card. you just need to come up with an excuse to search thru the deck to get your card :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 2784
DaveV wrote:
mullen wrote:
anniversary waltz is by chris carter - http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=5303

doc's name comes second, i think he only helped. chris was the one that invented it, according to him anyway.


You're right, my apologies. I never would have heard of the trick if it wasn't for Doc though. It's just my opinion, but I think it's Doc's recognizing the value of an otherwise unknown effect and reworking it that made it as good as it is today. And the work doesn't stop there. Since then another improvement has been made and that too has now been added to Doc's handling of this effect.

I also like KK, but it's more of a setup than just a one or two card gaff. I keep a separate wallet just for this trick. Have you seen John Archer's handling of it? It trims down the effect even more and turns it into a really funny presentation. He calls it "Komedy Killer."


The original Anniversary Waltz as it first appeared was very movey and quite difficult. It was published in a magazine, and the trick was by Chris Carter. Doc Eason learned the effect, and came up with his own, simple handling. His handling is probably the most known. Doc Eason gives full credit to Chris Carter.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.