View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: David Copperfield Close-Up?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:47 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2571
Hey
Where can I see Copperfield performing close up magic? (other than that ace assembly)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:56 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
I've never seen Copperfield do close-up, but he does do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
The only other time I've seen Copperfield perform close up magic was on Scrubs where he produced a coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 449
fallingblood wrote:
The only other time I've seen Copperfield perform close up magic was on Scrubs where he produced a coin.


That scene gets me every time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

I love scrubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:53 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
Looks like hes good with his coin sleights, or maybe just a camera trick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 2081
Location: Melbourne, Australia
There out there on youtube. Just things like him performing Misled or Ringflight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
revelation77 wrote:
There out there on youtube. Just things like him performing Misled or Ringflight.


Do you have a link?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 2081
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Misled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltFaHRTPXG0
This has some great close up magic clips of him - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mUsSV2Htw


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
revelation77 wrote:
Misled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltFaHRTPXG0
This has some great close up magic clips of him - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mUsSV2Htw


Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:35 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 721
Copperfield performs a Torn & Restored Baseball Card, Pearls that appear from nowhere which he turns into a necklace, A Card location which is found by his Emperor Scorpion and many others. Check out one of the best fan sites on Copperfield here: http://www.themagicofdc.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 4235
Location: Continuously practicing, even as I type.
Maloney123 wrote:
Looks like hes good with his coin sleights, or maybe just a camera trick.


Camera Trick??? Do you even have bobos book?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 449
Popchris wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:
Looks like hes good with his coin sleights, or maybe just a camera trick.


Camera Trick??? Do you even have bobos book?


Or common sense.. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 684
Location: Orlando, Florida USA
Copperfield did a few close-up effects in each one of his television specials. See if you can find some of his television specials on tape/DVD. I don't think they are available for purchase from ABC or David Copperfield; but you may find someone who has them all on VHS, (copied to DVD), because they recorded them each year.

He made a napkin rose, (out of flash paper), floated it, lit it on fire; producing a real rose presumably from the flames, (a la, Kevin James).

He did a ring flight once where the ring ended up tied in the laces of a little shoe in his back pocket. Corny - but his handling of it was not bad considering what he had to work with.

He did Jay Sankey's "Air Tight" once.

He actually vanished a yellow silk once. Used a FT instead of a TT; but he actually did the old standard on national television!

He produced pearls from 'nowhere' on the one where he walked through the Great Wall of China.
He also did a Torn & Restored thread on that show.

He did a bill switch - from a borrowed $100 to a $1 - and back again. With a TT, and on a close-up shot on national television to boot.

He did "Misled," a pencil through a borrowed bill illusion that's stronger than any pen through bill effect so many of us do these days.

He did the Card-Thru-Window with Jane Seymour on a moving train. ...Is that considered 'close-up'?

He did another ring flight - I think before the little shoe one - where the ring showed up on one of those old-fashioned key ring/wallet things which no one has used since 1975 and that are only available now when purchasing a ring flight!

He did another illusion - I don't know its name - where a spectator drew a geometric shape on a pad. David then put a few drops of ink in an aluminum pie pan. The ink moved around until it snapped into the shape drawn by the spectator.

He did the Cigarette Thru Quarter illusion long before David Blaine or Criss Angel, (using a quarter borrowed from an audience member that just happened to be his real-life father - though he never told anyone else that was the case).

...Those are just the close-up ones I can pull off the top of my head that David Copperfield has done on national television. There are surely more I'm missing; but I think it answers the question as to whether or not he does close-up illusions!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 224
Location: Sydney, Australia
He also did Ring on the Hourglass (Paul Gertner's FISM trick)
He has done the linking finger rings, i don't know if he has done that on TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:03 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 2610
Location: Canada
RadioRob wrote:
Copperfield did a few close-up effects in each one of his television specials. See if you can find some of his television specials on tape/DVD. I don't think they are available for purchase from ABC or David Copperfield; but you may find someone who has them all on VHS, (copied to DVD), because they recorded them each year.

He made a napkin rose, (out of flash paper), floated it, lit it on fire; producing a real rose presumably from the flames, (a la, Kevin James).

He did a ring flight once where the ring ended up tied in the laces of a little shoe in his back pocket. Corny - but his handling of it was not bad considering what he had to work with.

He did Jay Sankey's "Air Tight" once.

He actually vanished a yellow silk once. Used a FT instead of a TT; but he actually did the old standard on national television!

He produced pearls from 'nowhere' on the one where he walked through the Great Wall of China.
He also did a Torn & Restored thread on that show.

He did a bill switch - from a borrowed $100 to a $1 - and back again. With a TT, and on a close-up shot on national television to boot.

He did "Misled," a pencil through a borrowed bill illusion that's stronger than any pen through bill effect so many of us do these days.

He did the Card-Thru-Window with Jane Seymour on a moving train. ...Is that considered 'close-up'?

He did another ring flight - I think before the little shoe one - where the ring showed up on one of those old-fashioned key ring/wallet things which no one has used since 1975 and that are only available now when purchasing a ring flight!

He did another illusion - I don't know its name - where a spectator drew a geometric shape on a pad. David then put a few drops of ink in an aluminum pie pan. The ink moved around until it snapped into the shape drawn by the spectator.

He did the Cigarette Thru Quarter illusion long before David Blaine or Criss Angel, (using a quarter borrowed from an audience member that just happened to be his real-life father - though he never told anyone else that was the case).

...Those are just the close-up ones I can pull off the top of my head that David Copperfield has done on national television. There are surely more I'm missing; but I think it answers the question as to whether or not he does close-up illusions!


Very nice post. Funny how nobody else (including me) knew that he did all of these. On a side note, I will be picking up 'Airtight' in the next month or so. Anyone know what it's like?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.