View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baffling Bra
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:38 am 
born to perform.

Does anyone know about this.

Baffling Bra

Magician shows two silks and ties them together. The knotted ends are tucked into the front of a girl's blouse. Magician explains that he will cause the silks to pass through the girls body. Magician takes one end of the silk and hands the other to another spectator. On the count of three the silks are pulled and a BRA appears tied between them!

Obviously the bra is not the specs actual bra, but surely they would know this and destroy the secret...

I'm not sure if I can say the sites address, but they even have a other version of STS.

Animated Shoelaces by Jeremy Moncrief

Just shake your foot and your untied shoelaces tie themselves. You can even be wearing shorts!

Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:56 am 

I'm not impressed by the Animated Shoelaces. It just doesn't look as clean to me. As for the Baffling Bra, it's awesome. At least, if you want to horribly embarrass your volunteer and make anyone else more than a little wary of helping for the rest of the act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:59 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I'm not impressed by the Animated Shoelaces. It just doesn't look as clean to me. As for the Baffling Bra, it's awesome. At least, if you want to horribly embarrass your volunteer and make anyone else more than a little wary of helping for the rest of the act.

True...but what if she tells everyone that it is not her bra...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:07 am 

I used to use Baffling Bra with a 20th Century Silk routine for adult audiences all the time.

In certain situations its very funny; but you must have an audience with the right mind set so no one is offended or overly embarrassed.

After a long consideration, I do not wish to embarrass a volunteer for the sake of a laugh so I have since retired this effect. Since I have moved to a more serious mentalist stage routine, it really has no place in my act anyway.

Should you chose to use this trick in your act; consider purchasing 20th Century Silks, Break-Away Wand, Break-Away Fan and a Change Bag and you’ll have a complete routine…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:33 pm 
Team Penguin

I would not do this routine. It is a little inaporopriate. You ever want to embarass a spectator on stage. As for the shoelaces, this might even be the original STS. Penguin HAS ripped a few items before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 pm 
Team Penguin

girspiggy wrote:
I would not do this routine. It is a little inaporopriate. You ever want to embarass a spectator on stage. As for the shoelaces, this might even be the original STS. Penguin HAS ripped a few items before.

It may not be inapropriate...it depends on what kind of audience and what kind of venue you are performing for or at.

personally, it doesn't fit my style of comedy...in ANY situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:23 pm 
born to perform.

I wrote a review for the Animated Shoelace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:35 pm 

Personally, I would only do the Baffling Bra if the ends were tucked into my own shirt. Self degradation is funny, but doesn't fit everyone's style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm 
Penguin

The Baffling Bra is not something you spring on an unsuspecting audience member. You do it to a confederate who is planted in the audience. She is paid to make believe it is her bra, and to react as embarrassedly, or provacatively sexily, or whatever, as you and she decide in advance. There, then, is no chance of her denying the bra is hers. Make a joke of it. After you whip out her bra, like this, have her grab her pants, and run away so you can't get her panties. That is a sure laugh. Think, prepare, rehearse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:55 pm 
born to perform.

Mensan wrote:
The Baffling Bra is not something you spring on an unsuspecting audience member. You do it to a confederate who is planted in the audience. She is paid to make believe it is her bra, and to react as embarrassedly, or provacatively sexily, or whatever, as you and she decide in advance. There, then, is no chance of her denying the bra is hers. Make a joke of it. After you whip out her bra, like this, have her grab her pants, and run away so you can't get her panties. That is a sure laugh. Think, prepare, rehearse.

That's probably the worst advice I've heard in years.

I use Baffling Bra (in conjunction with 20th Century Silks) in my parlor show. Neither volunteer is a confederate and neither should they be. Everyone already knows that the bra isn't her's, they just don't care - just like they know it's not REAL magic, and just don't care.

I usually use the effect on a man. This gets a huge laugh - the largest one coming from the volunteer himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:36 am 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=2487

This is Penguin's chepaest version. There are others over $30. But does anyone know if the quality of the one above is any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:40 am 
born to perform.

I suggest you buy a cheap one, and learn to make one yourself. That way, you can customize the colors to match your show's other props.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:03 pm 
Penguin

In this day of militant feminism, pulling the bra gag on an unsuspecting woman may get your nose broke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 pm 

Exactly why I suggest the self deprecating humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:09 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
Exactly why I suggest the self deprecating humor.

Or doing it to a guy instead (vis-a-vi my first post) 8) .