View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unmasking the masked magician
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:51 am 
born to perform.

Okay, I saw this effect some time ago on the infamous Magic Revealed - before I truly decided to becoe a magician - and would love to perform it.

The masked magician is tied up, put inside a bag and then put inside a triangular box. The assistant puts on an executioner's robe with the hood and all and starts "dancing" and walking around the box, etc. Once the time is up, the assistant will unmask the magician!

When the time is up, the box is opened and he is seen to be still inside the bag. When the bag is opened, the assistant is in the bag, and the "executioner" is the magician.

I know the method and saw a simmilar method in Mark Wilson's book, but I want to perform the actual effect described. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:37 am 
Penguin

well I don't think you'll be able to find it on penguin, but you can search it on google, see what it is called, and then maybe go to a person who constructs these things.

lierke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 am 

It's pretty easy as long as you have all the costuming and staging required. Get yourself two assistants (one for the bag and one more for... you know) and build a box however you like. The bag is easy. Follow the Mark Wilson instructions for the rest of the details.

I'm suspicious of any effect where the performer obscures his face. It's a sure tip off that he's going to be switching with somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 am 
Penguin

unless, the performer always wears a mask (masked magician), you can always give it your own touch :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 am 
born to perform.

The idea I had was to have me tied up (without any mask or anything), the assistant will wear a black robe with an executioners mask.

Should I do this, is it not maybe considered to be "stealing" an effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:46 am 

Hey, if it's in the books then it's fair game. "Assistant's Revenge" is a common plot. As long as you don't mimic what you saw someone else do and perform it in a bag in a triangular box I see no problem with it.

I saw Melinda do this in combination with an Asrah self-levitation. The masked assistant dancing and whirling around revealed herself to be Melinda after the drape was removed and the body had vanished.