View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best wax for card on ce**ing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

I have tried this effect many times but no luck. I think the wax I am using is to hard but what do I know.

As always,
Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:29 pm 
born to perform.

1) What wax are you using?
2) Where did you learn the routine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 am 
born to perform.

Hey Dylan,

Not all ceilings are created equal (at least as far as this trick goes) Some ceilings you have no chance (popcorn texture for example). Just a thought.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 am 

Ammar's wax. That's what it was made for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:

Well I just came up with a good routine for it but I only have wax from spun and the like. Hard and not too sticky.

I will be working with Ammars routine so I think I will be using his wax as Dave said.

As always,
Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 pm 
Penguin

wax from braces workes really good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:01 pm 
born to perform.

juliegel wrote:
TheCaffeinator wrote:

Well I just came up with a good routine for it but I only have wax from spun and the like. Hard and not too sticky.

I will be working with Ammars routine so I think I will be using his wax as Dave said.

As always,
Dylan

I'm going to interpret "I just came up with a good routine for it" to mean that you haven't really studied any professional instruction, just basically figured out a handling and started throwing decks at the ceiling. :wink:

There's a lot more to it that the basic concepts of simply controlling a card, getting wax on it, and flinging the deck at the ceiling, which is why I asked those questions. It was possible that you had the right wax (or a usable wax) but didn't have the knowledge, or vice-verse.

Ammar is the way to go. His teaching of the Card on Ceiling is the best that I've come across. It's very thorough, and I recommend it highly. All the detail is there... not just the card handling, but also things like acquiring and prepping the wax, correct sizing of the wax ball, applying the wax, banding the deck, the proper tossing technique, prop management, choosing the right ceiling, etc. Although you can find the routine on EtMCM v5, get Ammar's standalone package, as it includes his wax.

BTW, generally speaking, dental wax is a pretty good substitute for magician's wax, and I do use it for some things. While it might be an okay choice for Card on Ceiling, it's not the best choice for Card on Ceiling. As DaveV said, Ammar's wax is the best... hands down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
juliegel wrote:
TheCaffeinator wrote:

As always,
Dylan

I'm going to interpret "I just came up with a good routine for it" to mean that you haven't really studied any professional instruction, just basically figured out a handling and started throwing decks at the ceiling. :wink:

Well you would be wrong. I have studied the subject quite a bit and originally discovered it in Ammars book tMoMA. He goes into a lot of detail on the method which you seem to forget is not the same as a routine. I have come up with a routine that uses Ammars method. I only asked about the wax because I was trying to expand my knowledge.

There's a lot more to it that the basic concepts of simply controlling a card, getting wax on it, and flinging the deck at the ceiling, which is why I asked those questions. It was possible that you had the right wax (or a usable wax) but didn't have the knowledge, or vice-verse.

No trust me the wax was the problem. I had tried everything and more but I now know the wax I was using was way to hard.

Ammar is the way to go. His teaching of the Card on Ceiling is the best that I've come across. It's very thorough, and I recommend it highly. All the detail is there... not just the card handling, but also things like acquiring and prepping the wax, correct sizing of the wax ball, applying the wax, banding the deck, the proper tossing technique, prop management, choosing the right ceiling, etc. Although you can find the routine on EtMCM v5, get Ammar's standalone package, as it includes his wax.

Got a book. Like it better then a DVD or a stand alone effect.

BTW, generally speaking, dental wax is a pretty good substitute for magician's wax, and I do use it for some things. While it might be an okay choice for Card on Ceiling, it's not the best choice for Card on Ceiling. As DaveV said, Ammar's wax is the best... hands down.

As always,
Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 am 

Dylan,
You make a convincing argument except for one small detail. If you studied Michael Ammar's work in depth you would know what qualities to look for.

You don't have to buy his; there are alternatives. Most of which would cost almost as much as his, especially if you don't get the results with your first purchase or two... or three.

If you want guaranteed performance, save yourself some time and money and buy the Ammar wax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:23 am 
born to perform.

I asked, "Where did you learn the routine?"

You replied, "Well I just came up with a good routine for it..."

Thus, my conclusion was valid based on your response, especially since I was using the term "routine" to refer to the full performance piece, not the simple method of "control a card, stick wax on it, and throw it at the ceiling." You could have learned that from any of a number of sources, not all of which are as thorough as Ammar.

Anyway... if you've studied Ammar, than you know the handling necessary to make the effect pretty much surefire, which was what I was trying to determine. And you seem to understand what's going on enough to know that your wax is too hard. So, again... just get Ammar's wax.

One observation, though, that puts everything you've written in a curious context: "Card on Ceiling" is not taught in the book The Magic of Michael Ammar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:24 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
I asked, "Where did you learn the routine?"

You replied, "Well I just came up with a good routine for it..."

Thus, my conclusion was valid based on your response, especially since I was using the term "routine" to refer to the full performance piece, not the simple method of "control a card, stick wax on it, and throw it at the ceiling." You could have learned that from any of a number of sources, not all of which are as thorough as Ammar.

Anyway... if you've studied Ammar, than you know the handling necessary to make the effect pretty much surefire, which was what I was trying to determine. And you seem to understand what's going on enough to know that your wax is too hard. So, again... just get Ammar's wax.

One observation, though, that puts everything you've written in a curious context: "Card on Ceiling" is not taught in the book The Magic of Michael Ammar.

Ah sorry for the confusion. I learned the basic sticking idea from the coin on ceiling that also included the card on ceiling with the torn piece ending. I came up with a routing and handling I liked around that.

Well I am picking up the Ammar wax. Even the case it comes in looks so darn snazzy.

As always,
Dylan