View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for some coin tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm 
Penguin

Hi quite new to coin magic, but atm i'm waiting to receive some coin magic i ordered. I ordered HKD Coinshells, HKD Scotch and Soda, and a HKD coin bite.

Now heres the question i'm trying to find some more coin magic tricks to buy, that doesn't really require much sleight of hand like the above products i'm receiving, can anyone name some or think of any coin tricks that would it this criteria? Pretty i'm guessing i want gaffs haha since that i don't want much sleight to be involved.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:09 pm 
Team Penguin

Well, it depends on what you mean by sleight of hand and a lot.

I feel that learning a good classic palm is essential and not that hard to get down, just time consuming.

With a classic palm and about 20 other moves from Bobo, you can do almost everything possible.

In addition to which, J.B. Bobo's book Modern Coin Magic teaches a lot of self-working stuff that rocks too.

So, yeah. Other than that, I can reccomend Sankey's DVDs on coin magic. He has some REALLY good thinking and stuff for ALL skill levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

Don't start with Sankey.

If you're beginning, I would lean less towards the gimmick and practice the sleight of hand. I love using gimmicks, but the best coin magic is done by combining both sleight of hand and gimmicks. Since you ordered a Shell, S&S, and Coin Bite, I think you're good on gimmicks for a little.

Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo is essential.

I would get David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, Michael Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic, or David Stone's Basic Coin Magic Volume 1 and Volume 2

If you're looking for more information on the gimmicks you just named, I would recommend the World's Greatest Magic series.
-Expanded Shell
-Scotch and Soda
-Folding Coin

If you're ever looking to get more gimmicks, here are some I recommend.
-Gravity Flipper Coin
-Silver Copper Brass Transposition
-Copper Silver Coin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm 
born to perform.

magicman4646 wrote:
Don't start with Sankey.

If you're beginning, I would lean less towards the gimmick and practice the sleight of hand. I love using gimmicks, but the best coin magic is done by combining both sleight of hand and gimmicks. Since you ordered a Shell, S&S, and Coin Bite, I think you're good on gimmicks for a little.

Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo is essential.

I would get David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy, Michael Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic, or David Stone's Basic Coin Magic Volume 1 and Volume 2

If you're looking for more information on the gimmicks you just named, I would recommend the World's Greatest Magic series.
-Expanded Shell
-Scotch and Soda
-Folding Coin

If you're ever looking to get more gimmicks, here are some I recommend.
-Gravity Flipper Coin
-Silver Copper Brass Transposition
-Copper Silver Coin

I totally agree with this post. Sankey is NOT a good place to start. A lot of what he does is INSANELY difficult if not impossible for a beginner.

I've been working on his mister clean coins across for a long time and still have some trouble with parts of it!!

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:27 am 
Team Penguin

I don't find Sankey's coin stuff hard... Some of it is, but a lot of it (Shake and Bake from Front Row Sankey, Piggy Bag from Kaleidoscope, etc.) is really easy and effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm 
Penguin

Hi thanks or the replies looks like I'll just have to get Bobo's modern coin magic. Also just one last question would Bobo's Modern Coin Magic have heaps o methods for coin switches? This is just for the coin bite and maybe i can use it for mercuring or himber ring switches ^^

Also thanks looks like i got most the coin gaffs that i really wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:52 pm 
Team Penguin

Plenty o' Coin switches my friend.

Fantastic book. You need it and will be glad you bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:28 am 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
Fantastic book. You need it and will be glad you bought it.

Amen.

Post subject: Re: Looking for some coin tricks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 am 
born to perform.

Yano wrote:
Hi quite new to coin magic, but atm i'm waiting to receive some coin magic i ordered. I ordered HKD Coinshells, HKD Scotch and Soda, and a HKD coin bite.

Now heres the question i'm trying to find some more coin magic tricks to buy, that doesn't really require much sleight of hand like the above products i'm receiving, can anyone name some or think of any coin tricks that would it this ...

Where'd you hear that shell work doesn't require much sleight of hand? You may be in for a big surprise. Shells are something to pick up after you have learned the foundations of coin magic and decided to really commit to it; they're not really something to get involved with if you are new to coin magic.

As has been said, get Modern Coin Magic -- the New Modern Coin Magic, if you can afford it. Consider David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy DVD set for a very good visual supplement to Bobo. Stay away from Sankey et al until you have built a solid foundation from these sources; degree of difficulty aside, it'd just be a distraction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

If you want really easy effects using an Expanded Shell, pick up Shellraiser. If you don't know any sleights, World's Greatest Magic may be a little complicated. Shellraiser is aimed at the beginner.\

-Shellraiser