View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD Ever Featuring Oz Pearlman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Penguin

is the dvd The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD Ever Featuring Oz Pearlman and Jessie Geneva good for people who have been doing magic for a long time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:
That's why we recently created the Greatest Beginner Magic DVD EVER with Oz Pearlman. To give beginners the best possible introduction into the world we love. Almost 3 HOURS long, Oz teaches the building blocks of magic, some super great tricks and reminds us why we're out there every night with pockets full of cards, coins and crazy contraptions :)You can watch the trailer here:http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1885

Let's face it, you probably don't *need* this DVD. But we WANT you to have this DVD. We want you to watch it, smile, (maybe refresh your memory a little?), then give it to someone else who DOES need it. Getting ready for the holidays? This is the PERFECT GIFT. And now till Friday we're giving it to you ABSOLUTELY FREE. Just order at least one physical (non-digital) product from PenguinMagic.com between now and Friday, October 23rd and we'll automatically throw in a copy of the "Greatest Beginner Magic DVD EVER" (a $30 value) on us. And like a lot of our favorite magic tricks... there are no strings attached!

The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD is the best learning tool we've ever seen. Critically acclaimed magic coach Oz Pearlman uses an innovative one-on-one teaching method to go step-by-step with Jessie Geneva teaching not only how to perform the tricks, but how to perform them like a pro.Check out the trailer and see for yourself: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1885

I'd say it cant hurt to have it; The worst that happens you dont learn anything at all...but if you take anything away from it, thats a win. And hey its FREE right now with any physical order.

It really hasnt been out very long so I doubt there are any real reviews yet. So none of us can honestly tell you if its good for those who've been in magic for a longer time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 pm 
born to perform.

It looks okay, I'd personally prefer Mark Wilson's Course or Josh Jay's Complete Course (with DVD). But like David said, it's free and it never hurts to have more resources.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:54 pm 
Penguin

thank you thats why i asked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm 
Penguin

It actually kinda looks like a pile of crap to me. I know the effects are supposed to be "easy" ones, and a few of them might be worth a look to a new magician, but there also seems to be a lot of filler on there. Jumping rubber band? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, it never hurts to get something for free. I have a copy coming in the mail right now along with a single double facer I spent $1 on :lol: For the price it's awesome... at least until after Friday. When it goes back up to $30 it won't be worth the price at all. I'm sure there are much better and cheaper resources for people who are truly interested in breaking into the art for the first time.

As far as its usefulness to experienced magicians, I doubt you'll take too much away from watching this if you've been in magic for a while... but you never really know for sure what sorts of things you might pick up from resources that go back to the basics. So yeah, if you're getting it for free it's definitely worth a look even if just to have some fun little tricks to teach your friends.

I'm actually debating whether to even open mine or to give it as a gift to a friend of mine I think would enjoy it. We saw a magician (absolutely horrible invisible deck performance... flashed the other side... other than that he was pretty entertaining) at Dollywood and visited the magic shop and she seemed to be enthusiastic about it. She even bought some sponge balls in the shop, but I haven't had a chance to help her learn to use them and she doesn't have any other real resource. She doesn't really have like, a burning passion for magic or whatever but I think she'd have fun with a DVD like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am 
born to perform.

I'm receiving this with my 13 steps DVDs, will review after a week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:36 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
I'm receiving this with my 13 steps DVDs, will review after a week or so.

(Gasp) Please review the 13 Steps dvd's too, that is, if you want to... :wink:

Post subject: Re: The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD Ever Featuring Oz Pearlman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 am 
born to perform.

Odds are if you've been in magic for a LONG time then you;ve seen these tricks time in and time out. Pretty neat DVD though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:35 pm 
Team Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
Odds are if you've been in magic for a LONG time then you;ve seen these tricks time in and time out. Pretty neat DVD though.

Dude, you are back?!?

Anyway, the DVD looks cool. Penguin makes ONLY good stuff, so...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 am 
born to perform.

Nightmare91o wrote:
It actually kinda looks like a pile of crap to me. I know the effects are supposed to be "easy" ones, and a few of them might be worth a look to a new magician, but there also seems to be a lot of filler on there. Jumping rubber band? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, it never hurts to get something for free. I have a copy coming in the mail right now along with a single double facer I spent $1 on :lol: For the price it's awesome... at least until after Friday. When it goes back up to $30 it won't be worth the price at all. I'm sure there are much better and cheaper resources for people who are truly interested in breaking into the art for the first time.

As far as its usefulness to experienced magicians, I doubt you'll take too much away from watching this if you've been in magic for a while... but you never really know for sure what sorts of things you might pick up from resources that go back to the basics. So yeah, if you're getting it for free it's definitely worth a look even if just to have some fun little tricks to teach your friends.

I'm actually debating whether to even open mine or to give it as a gift to a friend of mine I think would enjoy it. We saw a magician (absolutely horrible invisible deck performance... flashed the other side... other than that he was pretty entertaining) at Dollywood and visited the magic shop and she seemed to be enthusiastic about it. She even bought some sponge balls in the shop, but I haven't had a chance to help her learn to use them and she doesn't have any other real resource. She doesn't really have like, a burning passion for magic or whatever but I think she'd have fun with a DVD like this.
Proffeser Seymour? he's hilarious! not to mention when you purchase a trick he takes you behind a curtian and teaches you how to do it! did he do the water gel thing?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 am 
Penguin

KingoftheKards wrote:
is the dvd The Greatest Beginner Magic DVD Ever Featuring Oz Pearlman and Jessie Geneva good for people who have been doing magic for a long time

Well...It is called "Beginner", So if you have been in magic "for a long time" then there may not be much to learn on this DVD...You may have answered your own question :)

I got mine, with an order...I looked it over...will not write a review...Oz gives great instruction (as usual) I plan to give it to my 14 yr old nephew...enough said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

Dude, you are back?!?

Anyway, the DVD looks cool. Penguin makes ONLY good stuff, so...

Yes I am!

Thanks for caring. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:10 pm 
Penguin

It's pretty much a bunch of stand-alone tricks, rather than any foundational principles.

So, there may be tricks you don't know on them. You may find a trick you like, that you didn't know. So it's worth it for that.

I like the pick a card's reveal. I like the matchbook trick.

Nice little impromptu tricks can go a long way.

I wouldn't recommend it for a purchase, but as a giveaway, it's great.

Really good for the nephew gift, however. I plan to give away my extra copy as a stocking-stuffer.