View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mentor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
Penguin

Hi i am quite new to card magic it interests me a lot and i am looking to be a better magician. i would say im slightly above the "beginner" level. I am looking for a mentor preferably someone that is comfortable with teaching and knows their card magic. If your interested reply here and we can discuss more over skype or whatever. :D

Last edited by 1337spartan on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mentor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Penguin

When asking for advice or somebody to teach you something as generic as "magic", you probably want to specify what type of magic you're interested. Some tricks you find enthralling, the greats that you look up to, and so forth.

Good places to start would be books. Royal Road to Card magic is a good place to start for generic card stuff, and Bobo's guide to modern coin magic is amazing for coins. 13 steps to mentalism for.. Well, mentalism. Although most people don't enjoy books anymore... So that'd allow you to go for the DVD options of these books. Which I believe all three have a DVD version out there.

As for mentors, I'd suggest going to your local magic shop, asking about magician groups near by, and doing your best to join one. A group of magicians willing to teach can be a very powerful learning device.

I wish you the best of luck buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm 
Penguin

thats embarassing. i ment "CARD MAGIC" sorry for the inconviniece im interested in card magic sorry for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm 
Penguin

Well a few things to check out;

Royal Road to Card Magic (this is in both Book and DVD formats)

Expert at the Card Table (although this is mainly for card cheats, however I believe the natural moves used in gambling cope well with magic tricks)

The Card College Series (they also have a "Light, Ligher, and Lightest" versions for self-working card magic)

Tarbell's books are also wonderful, not only for cards, but for everything else too. Tarbell will teach you some things you're looking for, and if you read the other parts, might even get you interested in other things as well.

Out of this World (and Out of This Universe) is also a wonderful trick that can always get a reaction.

I know there's plenty more, but my personal interest in card magic declined recently, so I didn't get much good practice in. All I went for was those quick tricks you find online, but that never helped build a foundation and left me with a sense of apathy towards cards.

Most people don't like reading, but there's more good books out there than anything that can teach you what you want to know and more.

Hopefully some of this will help, but like I said; If you want a mentor, it might be best to search for magician groups near you, however most experienced magicians will most likely urge you to move out of just Card Magic, and add in some spice to your routines, because cards can get boring when you perform trick after trick.

I'd suggest learn a decent act with Sponge Balls and Rubber Bands you can throw in between card tricks, keep the spectators interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:51 pm 
Penguin

Im 14 so i cant exactly purchase magic so thats why im looking for A mentor. i do more magic than cards i am just more intrigued by card tricks. i was looking for a local magic shop i live in sandiego and couldnt find any unfortunately and i dedcided to look for a magic group and found the I.B.M should i take up ring 76 or should i find someone else?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm 
Penguin

Ring 76 will allow you to visit 3 times free of charge, and then insist you become a member. There's probably a few special occasions, but apparently that's how it usually goes. Then you have to partake in an audition to show you're actually willing to work at things, and pay monthly dues, which if you say you can't afford to pay for the study material, it mighty he somewhat difficult to pay for the membership. Not trying to be rude, just explaining my thoughts.

What I did when I started magic, was I got a friend. Close friend of mine that seemed interested in tricks as well, we would tell each other when we found something new, show what we learned, and shared DVDs and books as often as we could. A partner would allow you to split up the costs of things and help keep you interested during the hard times, so I'd highly suggest getting a friend involved.

I'd highly suggest learning some fundamentals before trying to go for a mentor/group honestly. If you learn things on your own, or with a friend, it shows you have drive, which usually makes a possible teacher much more willing to teach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm 
Penguin

yea i think ill try finding a friend that does magic and also i do know magic on my own and not just the beginner dvd here on penguin, i know magic tricks beyond the beginner dvd. i have just gotten to a point where it seems there are no more free tricks to learn. and dont think i just know all the cheap free tricks i have seen other things but thats about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 pm 
Penguin

I recommend you Bron to perform card magic by Oz Pearlman or Dani DaOrtiz Utopia with one of those you wont need a mentor :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:09 pm 
Penguin

Well then I'd suggest loading yourself up with utility moves that you can use to improve your tricks, or come up with new ones all on your own.

Culling, passes, shifts, palms, ect.

You're pretty young, so palming might be difficult... But my absolutely favorite book has to be "If an Octopus could Palm" by Dan and Dave Buck. It teaches a few taboo moves that I believe have only helped me.

Most of the rest is easily found in Expert at the Card Table.

You seem to have confidence in your skills, but at such a young age, you should keep one thing in mind; There's always more to learn. Don't get too cocky, because you might just miss out on the best trick you could ever learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
Penguin

Hey dude :) If you ever have a question about anything the forums are always here. I'd love to see what you're working on :)