View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best card trick for beginners...?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm 
Penguin

I don't have any magic decks, and it's crucial that the trick requires little or no sleight of hand, because I'm just starting. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Best card trick for beginners...?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

The Chicago Opener is a great one.... look into Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic DVD... that will be a major help!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:12 pm 

Quote:
If you're a novice, you don't want a single trick. What happens after you do one? You're going to want to do another and they're going to want to see another one. If you've wasted your money on a single trick, then you're stuck. You're both going to be disappointed and it's going to hurt not only your credibility, but your desire to learn another.

That came from your coin magic topic. You've already put yourself in the mindset that you're not going to be able to do tricks that require moves. That's only going to hurt you. Jamy Ian Swiss teaches all of his students the Top Change right up front. That's a hard move, if you know it's hard. If you don't know that people expect it to be hard, it's actually pretty easy to pick up. I'll second the recommendation for Oz' DVD. Born to Perform is a great way to get started. You should also look into Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. They're kind of boring, but the magic is amazing. I still use a lot of it all the time. I would recommend avoiding trick decks for a while. If you're stuck doing magic with trick decks and have nothing to back it up, you're going to be in trouble when you don't have it on you and someone wants to see magic. Everyone has a deck of cards and they're going to be curious why you can't do a trick with their pack.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

If you're interested in reading books, buy Scarne on Card Tricks. This is a book with 152 (give or take) self-working, or practically self-working, card tricks. This was written years ago, but many of these tricks can still be used today, albeit with a slight change in patter (just giving you a heads up, a few of these tricks require a suit, or more specifically a suit pocket. Depending on how you perform, this might or might not be a problem. Regardless, there are still plenty of tricks in there that can be done no matter what you wear). Since no sleights are involved, it's a great opportunity to work on patter and audience management.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
Quote:
If you're a novice, you don't want a single trick. What happens after you do one? You're going to want to do another and they're going to want to see another one. If you've wasted your money on a single trick, then you're stuck. You're both going to be disappointed and it's going to hurt not only your credibility, but your desire to learn another.

That came from your coin magic topic. You've already put yourself in the mindset that you're not going to be able to do tricks that require moves. That's only going to hurt you. Jamy Ian Swiss teaches all of his students the Top Change right up front. That's a hard move, if you know it's hard. If you don't know that people expect it to be hard, it's actually pretty easy to pick up. I'll second the recommendation for Oz' DVD. Born to Perform is a great way to get started. You should also look into Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. They're kind of boring, but the magic is amazing. I still use a lot of it all the time. I would recommend avoiding trick decks for a while. If you're stuck doing magic with trick decks and have nothing to back it up, you're going to be in trouble when you don't have it on you and someone wants to see magic. Everyone has a deck of cards and they're going to be curious why you can't do a trick with their pack.

Great post for beginners

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:58 pm 
Penguin

Gearheart wrote:
I don't have any magic decks, and it's crucial that the trick requires little or no sleight of hand, because I'm just starting. Thanks in advance!

Buy Royal Road to Card Magic by R. Paul Wilson. Starting with the first DVD, you are taught the Overhand Shuffle with all of its different variations, and then taught card tricks that utilize them. Then as you progress through the other 4 DVD's, you are taught the essential card sleights for great card magic. As Exodus said, try to avoid card effects that only utilize a trick deck, it will become a hindrance more than helping you.

Also, if you're really serious about either becoming a Magician or just want to fool around with card magic, then you're going to need to practice (a lot at times) so when you do perform, it will be a fluid motion that will fool the audience, rather than having them watch you struggle throughout an effect or routine.

Simply put, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:11 am 
Penguin

I'm really not one who should be giving advice, but I am a novice as well. Learn a few good forces. from there, just get creative. IMO, card tricks are just fundamentals, and theatrics.