View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Tricks That Blow E'm Away?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:43 am 
Emperor Penguin

"Tricks" don't blow people away, competent performances of magic blows people away. Magic is not self-working, and magic doesn't make the magician he makes the magic. Sounds like you need some book on magic theory, showmanship, and presentation. You can do the best technical effect ever but if your performance lacks it will be a waste of an effect.

The only answers you are going to get here is effects that are people's favorites, or effects that people post simply because they are popular and posted by others. This comes down to personal preference and magic persona. What "kills" for others may not kill for you and vice-versa. Again, an effect is not self-contained. The magician is the ones who does the "killing."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:18 am 
born to perform.

Bill in kiwi is a great effect. The DVD has got a whole heap of other stuff, but I consistently finish my act with the kiwi. no patter required!!

Stigmata, I have to agree as well, amazing when done with proper presentation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 am 

soowee wrote:
Bill in kiwi is a great effect. The DVD has got a whole heap of other stuff, but I consistently finish my act with the kiwi. no patter required!!

NO PATTER on the bill to kiwi!!! Are you nuts!! The patter makes this effect into one large money maker. Watch Bobby Maverick use it to end his busking routine and you'll see the value of patter and how it affects the crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
soowee wrote:

NO PATTER on the bill to kiwi!!! Are you nuts!! The patter makes this effect into one large money maker. Watch Bobby Maverick use it to end his busking routine and you'll see the value of patter and how it affects the crowd.

Ya I agree with paddy on this. When I perform, bill to kiwi, I work it up with patter and it kills.
Not using any patter really subtracts from the overall effect of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 pm 
Penguin

i would like to try the bill in kiwi but unfourtinantly i am allergic to kiwi's. Can this be done with other fruit?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

jonoborn wrote:
i would like to try the bill in kiwi but unfourtinantly i am allergic to kiwi's. Can this be done with other fruit?

Yes... lemon, lime, small orange.

But are you allergic "eating them"... cause you dont eat them.

Im allergic to some foods, but only if I eat them. I can touch them without problem.
I know some people are more sensitive though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 pm 
born to perform.

Misunderstanding there. I didn't mean NO patter, in terms of absolutely no talking or interaction with the audience at all. I talk heaps in my acts, and I do agree with you guys, patter is critical. I'll look up Bobby Mavericks performance though, always learning!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:44 am 
born to perform.

I agree on the sentiment that it's not the trick but the presentation that really gets the results.

In that aspect, I find that most of the effects that I practice a lot and really have down do a good job of getting good results. If I'm not comfortable doing something, it shows through and the results aren't nearly as good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:12 pm 
Penguin

Be honest, what is it?

Although one of the first effects I ever learnt, this one simple simple effect has given me some of the strongest reactions EVER. I'm talking David Blaine style groups running away screaming reactions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:47 am 
born to perform.

and that is?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 pm 
Penguin

The Bill in Kiwi has served me well over the years, but the main point is that it doesnt really matter what it is that you do, rather HOW you do it.

I'm not looking to "blow people's minds" I'm looking to entertain them.

I can say for sure that the other fruits dont seem to play as well if given the same handling as the bill in kiwi but its due to the fact that size and color make a huge difference in the execution of any gaze crossing. So, the kiwi fruit is better suited for this. It also seems more magical in a sense that the position of the bill is centered in such a way.

I perform the Bill in Kiwi effect with a much simpler means than Cloutier uses and also change up these means based on the conditions I'm working in.

I have Three different handlings and all are much simpler to execute than any sleeving or topiting, plus they play bigger due to the routining that encompasses the effect.

I love Carl Cloutier's work and he's a master, but some of us just need have things dumbed down a bit! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am 
born to perform.

( T.K.O ) so many things its good for.