View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
eostresh, you're right. The only reason I post this is just because Benji's attitude is that his is the only way. I just want to show people that there are other, more ethical ways of marketing yourself.

Huh?
Well that is not the impression I have gotten from his blog?
Admittedly, I have only paid attention to his blog when he first started out and then stopped paying attention for a while deciding it would be a while before I needed any of that advice. Now that I'm thinking I may actually attempt to go full time within the next year have I started following it again. So there is a whole year of history between you two that I haven't really followed.

It also appears as if some of your recent criticisms are airing out dirty laundry that cropped up over at the cafe'. If you feel you need to do that to make your points then so be it...free country and all. But so you know where I stand on that issue(and I know for a fact that several other Penguin regulars feel the same) I can barely stand the proportion of "drama queens" over at Theory 11 and they pail in comparison to the Magic Cafe'. But, as I said before, free country. If you have a problem with Benji then you have every right to speak your mind. I just personally feel that it is more productive and useful to offer up a different, competing idea, about a certain marketing technique, than just saying, "Don't do that." Because as we all know, the first two questions on somebody's mind after being told "Don't" is "Why?" and "Then how can I achieve the same result in a different way?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:28 am 

Point taken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 am 
Penguin

In my opinion marketing is marketing, dirty or not. If you're planning on making a living out of magic marketing is your best friend. Benji his tips are golden, even though you might not agree with ethics or morals behind them.

To be honest I do not have the balls to just crash a hotel party. Its not really costumary here in Holland either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am 

daniellange, the point I have been trying to make is simple. Following Benjii's advice is a good way to get yourself banned plus a bad reputation. i.e. Crashing hotel parties or festivals will get you permanently banned from the hotel property or the festival thus cutting you off from ever gaining entry again.

I had a festival that I did every year, one year another magi crashed it. He was arrested for trespassing and banned from the fest for life. I gave it up this year because of health reasons but will get it back next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:23 pm 
Penguin

Haven't had a chance to read the blog, but from what I have, if you think you can get away w/ that kind of thing, more power to you.

I am a marketing professional, soon to have an MBA in Internet Marketing. I've been away from the art for some years, so it didn't occur to me this might be a subject of interest to the group.

If anyone would like to hear some ideas about how to effectively promote and sell your service, I'd like to read a show of hands. If there is sufficient response (sorry, but I've already made several posts to this group w/ little acknowledgement, and I am too busy to do this if only a handful, or less, of ppl would be interested) I'll put something together that those long on performance skills but w/ little business savvy might find helpful.

Cheers, compeers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Penguin

Ok guys,

Does anyone know if there's a service online where you can, say, have a sort of answering system for a number, I believe google might be bringing it out later, but at the moment I would like for a client to be able to call the number on the card, leave a message which I can then listen to and check out online.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 am 
born to perform.

This should do it; http://www.freeconferencecall.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
Penguin

Just to get an idea of the way stuff is out there, how much on average do you think is fair to charge? Someone who taught me a bunch earlier on that they charged what they needed. Pretty vague. You guys have a better rate scale you could share?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 am 

rabbitinahat28 wrote:
Just to get an idea of the way stuff is out there, how much on average do you think is fair to charge? Someone who taught me a bunch earlier on that they charged what they needed. Pretty vague. You guys have a better rate scale you could share?

There are so many variables here but I will try to answer the question.
First, where are you located? the rates will vary all over the place depending on this. In New York City I know a magician that charges $500 for a b'day party, in Los Angeles you couldn't get over $100. The reason is in LA there are so many amateur magi that everybody is cutting prices.

Two, how good are you. A good magi can get more than a mediocre one. I am in Cincinnati OH, the average rate around here is $150 for a b'day party. I charge between $175 and 200 for a one hour party, when people say "x is only $150" I say "you can't buy a Rolls Royce for the price of a used Ford." I am busy. But I have spent 17 years getting a GOOD reputation.

I would have a friend (an adult if you are not one) and price parties from other magi then set your price accordingly. Don't do what an idiot here does. He set his price at $85 an hour so he undercuts EVERYBODY. Yes he is busy. He works his butt off and he is broke with no social life other than those he is paid to attend. Also he can not show up at any gathering of magicians or other entertainers because he is hated so much.

Break a leg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9