View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Benji! This is great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

Before I head to Cali I wanted to get one more video in. It is a concept known as Inevitability Thinking. I made a whole new post because I think this concept is VERY important to getting paid gigs or any other goal.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157460

Blog:
www.paidtoperform.blogspot.com

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZebBSJv90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm 

Penguins,

I gotta tell you that Benji is an EXCELLENT mentalist and entertainer, and if you are truly looking for a good source of info and a way to get started in the biz professionally, this is a great blog to visit and begin gleaning very useful info. Benji is an accomplished performer, but more than that he is a smart marketer and businessman. He's personally given me invaluable advice that has been KEY in becoming successful as a working magician.

Benji, I just want to personally thank you for providing us, and the magic community, a very good resource for people who would like to get their feet off the ground. There are others out there who would charge for much of the info your giving freely. I appreciate your willingness to help bring others up.

I think this is worth a sticky for awhile.

B

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

Now its time to talk about Restaurant Gigs. These videos are about how to book the restaurant gig and how to keep them. As an added bonus, I asked a couple of managers who hired me to answer two questions when it comes to having a magician at the restaurant.

Check out the videos

Blog:

Youtube:
Part 1(how to get & keep a restaurant)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loewn9eMZF0
Part 2(quick interview with the managers)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnO8HZPLt8

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks a lot for posting your last two videos... I'm trying to get in to restaurant magic and this answered a lot of my questions... especially the interview with the managers! I have a quick question about your radio idea... are you talking about doing this if you already are involved with the station somehow (like you've been a guest) or do you mean just call them up and ask them to do it?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have enjoyed and learned quite a bit from the videos thus far. Thanks for sharing, man!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting your last two videos... I'm trying to get in to restaurant magic and this answered a lot of my questions... especially the interview with the managers! I have a quick question about your radio idea... are you talking about doing this if you already are involved with the station somehow (like you've been a guest) or do you mean just call them up and ask them to do it?

For the radio idea...first, see if you can get on the radio as a guest (if you can do magic on the radio then perfect, if not then just get interviewed). If you can't get on as a guest then pay them for advertising and have one of the DJs say how great you are and that you are offering a free gig to a restaurant, etc. Does that clear it up a bit?

I thought about it because all I have to do if I want to get on the radio is give them a call and I'll be on so it would be an easy way for people to hear about it without spending money. If you advertised then you would spend money but if you can get on as a guest then that would be ideal.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

For the radio idea...first, see if you can get on the radio as a guest (if you can do magic on the radio then perfect, if not then just get interviewed). If you can't get on as a guest then pay them for advertising and have one of the DJs say how great you are and that you are offering a free gig to a restaurant, etc. Does that clear it up a bit?

I thought about it because all I have to do if I want to get on the radio is give them a call and I'll be on so it would be an easy way for people to hear about it without spending money. If you advertised then you would spend money but if you can get on as a guest then that would be ideal.

Yeah that cleared it up perfectly! Do you have suggestions as to what types of effects to do over the radio. I know mentalism is perfect for that, but do you have any specific effects that come to mind (pardon the pun)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

I HIGHLY recommend Thought Chunnel by Joshua Quinn in his book Paralies.

This is my performance of it on one radio station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXXJDRhDOY

Another good one is Signagram & Nu Sense by Alain Nu

Drink by Nathan Kranzo is also one I did on the radio because it is quick and effective.

Basically, I would do anything that doesn't involve cards because usually the card ones are easily messed up if they don't follow directions and they aren't that great of an effect anyways :)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
I HIGHLY recommend Thought Chunnel by Joshua Quinn in his book Paralies.

This is my performance of it on one radio station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXXJDRhDOY

Another good one is Signagram & Nu Sense by Alain Nu

Drink by Nathan Kranzo is also one I did on the radio because it is quick and effective.

Basically, I would do anything that doesn't involve cards because usually the card ones are easily messed up if they don't follow directions and they aren't that great of an effect anyways :)

Thanks a bunch! The local DJ is a really cool dude and they interview community entertainers a lot... I'll start working on those now so maybe in a few months I can see if I can get an interview.

Thanks =]

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:40 pm 
born to perform.

Next video: Spin-off gigs.

Spin-off gigs are when someone hires you and other people at that event want to hire you for their party/function/etc. Another way of putting it is "word of mouth" but most entertainers leave this to chance...I don't.

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHDb1SPHrs

p.s....my editing software is messing up which is why you see a lack of edits lol

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

Next installment...your phone script:

When people call you, you should have a phone script that you go by to increase your perceived value and give you better chances of being hired for the gig. Watch the video and take ideas to use in your phone script.

-use your schedule (real or fake) to create scarcity and the perception of being in demand
-future pacing: get them to see you performing at their event (assume you've already been hired)
-create a yes ladder
-do not place any dates on hold...get your contract signed and returned ASAP

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feB8jUTuSpk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

New video: Perceived value

Your perceived value will tell them how much they think you are worth and whether they hire you or not

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKjEooXMczg

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

I just wanted to thank you again Benji. These lessons are very helpful...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

Yea no problemo...and of course there is nothing wrong with discussing these topics or if anyone needs questions answered. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next