View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IMPROMPTU TIME WOOOO!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm 
Penguin

Almighty then now that i have your attention, i got a great idea recently and its super original! Get this i want to be able to do magic with....anything :O *gasp* crazy idea right? When i thought of this i was like," ok so i wonder what most people carry on them." So i texted like 50 of my friends. It was a pain in the [edited] to respond to them all. But what i got out of it was interesting people about 50% of them carry chap-stick, all of them had a wallet and keys a phone and clothes, and the smokers had ciggs and a lighter. The ones that stuck out in my mind were the keys and the chap-stick, because if so many people carry chap-stick on them why have i NEVER seen a trick with it?

Think about this chap-stick has a cap which means it acts like both a pen and a thimble, its shape and size are similar to a cigg, so i think it would be a great thing to work with.

Wallets are interesting because they can hold things, putting stuff in someones wallet would be a great effect in itself, if they dont notice you doing it of course. But wallets also have money, and im sure we all know that that means coins and bills which there is a ton of material out there on them. It also means credit cards and ids, similar to playing cards but different in how they work. Does anybody know of anything that could be done with credit cards?

Keys! I like to think mentalism, pk demonstrations and such but they also have the key-chain which stuff could be placed on which would be amazing if you could take their key or ring or whatever and their key-chain and link the 2 together. What else can be done with a key... without bending or damaging it?

phones! Alot of mentalism can be done with them, i personally dislike digital magic, i think its cheap and to gimmicky (im a bit of a purest who dislikes gimmicks, and i think they are fine just as long as you dont hide behind them.) Ive seen some cool mentalism stuff with them too but only performances and never explainations so does anyone know of some good resources? (PS center tear works amazingly for getting phone numbers do it walk away and call them up hope that isnt exposure)

Ciggs! I wish i could smoke just so i could do some stuff with ciggs, very romantic in a sense, alot of cool stuff yet again no clue what some good cigg sources would be, but i imagine thatd help with the chapstick stuff as well.

Cold Reading/Hot Reading/Mentalism! Super fun for just walking up to someone and telling them all about themselves, and as a side note about 90% of gals believe in that spiritualistic [edited], if you can do tarot, cold reads or what ever they will be putty in your hands. Mentalism is always killer and can be quite strong and quite impromptu, grab a napkin and pen and bust out some moves!

Lastly, i'm thinking about actually going fourth and learning effects with all of these and just leaving my cards and sponge balls at home. Because really wouldn't that be amazing if you could walk up to someone and ask them to pull out something from their pocket or like their rings or jewelry or anything and do stuff with it? A lot less stereotypical and a lot less predictable for a magician.

Oh and super lastly i'm thinking cups and balls would be great to learn! think about it go to a coffee shop and get 3 cups or 1 or whatever and roll up a napkin and go to town!

Anyway i'm glad you read this feel free to post some input in fact please do! just dont recommend "on the spot". I wanna see if there is anything else covering this. For those that don't know "on the spot" its a great video that describes some awesome impromptu material.

and as always have a great day!
-Dave

Post subject: Re: IMPROMPTU TIME WOOOO!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

For ciggs Tom Mullica has some great stuff on them (he made quite the reputation with them) and the encyclopedia of cigarette magic, as for phones, try curve ball by Oz Pearlman. For coins I suggest you get coin books, if you can do an impromptu matrix with barrowed quarters and credit cards that is a good thing. Bills are trickier, cornered by Joshua Jay comes to mind though. Also try On the Spot by Gregory Wilson and Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey. Try psychokinetic time by Banachek which uses a borrowed watch. Also D'Ring, Ring Thing, and Ring Leader for ring magic.

So much material so little time,

Keegan

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:26 pm 
Penguin

mchkeegan wrote:
For ciggs Tom Mullica has some great stuff on them (he made quite the reputation with them) and the encyclopedia of cigarette magic, as for phones, try curve ball by Oz Pearlman. For coins I suggest you get coin books, if you can do an impromptu matrix with barrowed quarters and credit cards that is a good thing. Bills are trickier, cornered by Joshua Jay comes to mind though. Also try On the Spot by Gregory Wilson and Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey. Try psychokinetic time by Banachek which uses a borrowed watch. Also D'Ring, Ring Thing, and Ring Leader for ring magic.

Keegan

gahhh lol i said dont recommend on the spot! and coin stuff i figured jb bobo and other sources, d'ring is ok not amazing imo, ring thing is a favorite, never heard of ring leader.

got any ideas for chapstick? im really curious as to if theres any sources for stuff like that? or ya think the best bet would be cigg tricks?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
born to perform.

blckfire539 wrote:
mchkeegan wrote:

Keegan

gahhh lol i said dont recommend on the spot! and coin stuff i figured jb bobo and other sources, d'ring is ok not amazing imo, ring thing is a favorite, never heard of ring leader.

got any ideas for chapstick? im really curious as to if theres any sources for stuff like that? or ya think the best bet would be cigg tricks?

In theor you could do recap ( On The Spot) with a chapstick stick. Hopefully Cigg magic will be a thing of the past though.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 pm 
Penguin

what do you mean cigg magic will be a thing of the past? its so elegent and beautifull to watch someone do a cigg routine! look at cyril!
OH! and what about keys?

Does anyone else know of some other good sources of inspiration?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

blckfire539 wrote:
what do you mean cigg magic will be a thing of the past? its so elegent and beautifull to watch someone do a cigg routine! look at cyril!
OH! and what about keys?

Does anyone else know of some other good sources of inspiration?

I hope cigg magic will become a thing of the past because I hope people will stop smoking and ciggs wont become available to preform with. And there is a nice key routine on ON THE SPOT. Also ask Benji Bruce for some tips on key bending (impromptu) I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 pm 
born to perform.

Look Up REDLINE by Dan Hauss, it s a neat chapstick effect.!:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

blckfire539 wrote:
Almighty then now that i have your attention, i got a great idea recently and its super original! Get this i want to be able to do magic with....anything :O *gasp* crazy idea right? When i thought of this i was like," ok so i wonder what most people carry on them." So i texted like 50 of my friends. It was a pain in the [edited] to respond to them all. But what i got out of it was interesting people about 50% of them carry chap-stick, all of them had a wallet and keys a phone and clothes, and the smokers had ciggs and a lighter. The ones that stuck out in my mind were the keys and the chap-stick, because if so many people carry chap-stick on them why have i NEVER seen a trick with it?
Quote:
I thought that was cool. I really like this idea, because essentially you don't need any of your own material...except to practice with. But using your spectators props brings more to the "wow" factor.

Think about this chap-stick has a cap which means it acts like both a pen and a thimble, its shape and size are similar to a cigg, so i think it would be a great thing to work with.
Quote:
chap stick? really, that is quite interesting. Not what I would have expected. Something to think about though, in refference to cigarete magic, is that cigaretes don't work the same as chap-stick...for instance, you can't put your friends chap-stick in your mouth...lol

Wallets are interesting because they can hold things, putting stuff in someones wallet would be a great effect in itself, if they dont notice you doing it of course. But wallets also have money, and im sure we all know that that means coins and bills which there is a ton of material out there on them. It also means credit cards and ids, similar to playing cards but different in how they work. Does anybody know of anything that could be done with credit cards?
Quote:
Tons, learn the tenkai palm (if you don't already know it) and you can learn many many vanishes and appearences, lots of stuff, speaking of the tenkai, does anyone know a good DVD that teaches a lot of material with it?

Keys! I like to think mentalism, pk demonstrations and such but they also have the key-chain which stuff could be placed on which would be amazing if you could take their key or ring or whatever and their key-chain and link the 2 together. What else can be done with a key... without bending or damaging it?
Quote:
A lot of stuff that can be done with coins can also be done with keys. (Vanishes, changes, etc.) If you have a good presentation, the props are only about 60% of the trick, so make up a reason to use a key, a story or something, and you're set. There are tricks that are key-specific though, don't know a ton though...)

phones! Alot of mentalism can be done with them, i personally dislike digital magic, i think its cheap and to gimmicky (im a bit of a purest who dislikes gimmicks, and i think they are fine just as long as you dont hide behind them.) Ive seen some cool mentalism stuff with them too but only performances and never explainations so does anyone know of some good resources? (PS center tear works amazingly for getting phone numbers do it walk away and call them up hope that isnt exposure)
Quote:
I don't like the idea of using a phone for mentalism, or predictions or anything like that. I want to see a phone trick that uses the phone for what it is, not as a prop in another trick, if you know what I mean.

Ciggs! I wish i could smoke just so i could do some stuff with ciggs, very romantic in a sense, alot of cool stuff yet again no clue what some good cigg sources would be, but i imagine thatd help with the chapstick stuff as well.
Quote:
Lol, don't wish you smoke, it's a terrible habit. There are a lot of cig tricks though, so you might be able to find a substitute.

Cold Reading/Hot Reading/Mentalism! Super fun for just walking up to someone and telling them all about themselves, and as a side note about 90% of gals believe in that spiritualistic [edited], if you can do tarot, cold reads or what ever they will be putty in your hands. Mentalism is always killer and can be quite strong and quite impromptu, grab a napkin and pen and bust out some moves!
Quote:
Hot! Lol, this I could use.

Lastly, i'm thinking about actually going fourth and learning effects with all of these and just leaving my cards and sponge balls at home. Because really wouldn't that be amazing if you could walk up to someone and ask them to pull out something from their pocket or like their rings or jewelry or anything and do stuff with it? A lot less stereotypical and a lot less predictable for a magician.
Quote:
Very much so. I love the idea of not using your own props (as I stated earlier), it adds a lot to the "wow" factor.

Oh and super lastly i'm thinking cups and balls would be great to learn! think about it go to a coffee shop and get 3 cups or 1 or whatever and roll up a napkin and go to town!
Quote:
I think it's time someone revises the Cups and Balls completely (though someone probably already has), I'm thinking a 2-cup routine, with all kinds of stuff, not just balls, and not just movements or disappearences, etc. Like a full routine using two cups.

Anyway i'm glad you read this feel free to post some input in fact please do! just dont recommend "on the spot". I wanna see if there is anything else covering this. For those that don't know "on the spot" its a great video that describes some awesome impromptu material.

and as always have a great day!
-Dave

I think I pretty much said all I wanted to...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm 
Penguin

learn coin magic

use the same sleights for all kinds of stuff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:00 am 
born to perform.

I can't wait for the Chap Stick Magic DVD to come out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:01 am 
born to perform.

Bonus effect:

Use Chapstick and magic to meet women

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:09 am 
Penguin

FlapJackGeorge-some times i have actually found you can get away with alot with presentation alone. milk what works forget what doesn't. one of my favorite tricks to do and works best on people who are high or are a bit out there lol is to simply do a pinching motion with both your index and thumb and then have the tips of those fingers on each hand touch. then pull them apart slowly as if you are producing a piece of string. i have done this well enough that ive made people grab at it. its loads of fun try it out. :D

i also fully agree the cups and balls need a revival. I also think that the only person that i have EVER seen do a cups and balls where i had no clue what was being done was jason latimer. His version of it is spectacular to say the least. however its not very impromptu lol. a full impromptu version would be great! i think jay sankey did one with styrofoam cups and some cut up sponge but i honestly think better things can be done. i just dont know what, perhaps some sort of way to make a chop cup where ever you go so take any cup and then turn it into a chop cup. that would be really great!

worldwideme- i totally agree. i started with coins and ive done magic with rocks just using a french drop and if the area permits you can simply drop it behind you for a complete sleeveless vanish and it really baffles people.

ElConquistador-I dont know if thats sarcasm but i think magic is a great way to meet people and women. I think it should have tips for alot of different things so it could be a full out impromptu dvd.

thanks for the input guys! have a great day :D
-Dave!