View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Matrix Lean Leg-braces and Others
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
Penguin

Hello,

does anyone here know where to buy or custom-build the leg braces for the Matrix Lean like what Cyril Takayama did, at a reasonable cost? The one that's sold by a Taiwan company is far over-priced at about $2150!

BTW, if anyone does know also of the source of any other magic tricks used by Cyril Takayama (American Japanese) and Lu Chen (Taiwanese) kindly advice. Lots of magic performed by these two top magicians are very unique, clean and appear impossible.

Thanks very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Matrix Lean Leg-braces and Others
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm 

$2150 U.S. is not overpriced. Some of the classic illousions, like the guillotine cost upwards of $5000. You want quality materials that you can use in shows for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
$2150 U.S. is not overpriced. Some of the classic illousions, like the guillotine cost upwards of $5000. You want quality materials that you can use in shows for years.

Oh, I believe this trick has been out already since 2007 or earlier. So, I'm afraid it may not last for another 3 years. I have seen several clips on youtube with similar matrix lean performed quite convincingly, and some authors claimed that they have made the braces themselves. So, if the trick has already been revealed to some people, spending USD1250 now is just too risky:)

Anyway, I won't spend thousands on a gimmick. In fact, the higher the cost of a gimmick, the higher the risks of exposure. People will find it more worthwhile and determined to uncover the trick, and/or to come up with cheaper imitations or even cheaper improved versions with more features.

Moreover, with the current TV screening of 'Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed' investing on expensive props and gimmicks can be suicidal especially so, if a trick has already been out for some years.

I'd rather spend my USD2150 on 10 to 50 great new impressive tricks than on one trick that may die anytime :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well you are totally wrong.

First: What he means by last...is you want something properly built.

Second: You dont have to worry about exposure of this or anything else. It almost never affects us.
The higher the cost of the item, does not increase the risk of exposure. Where you got that Idea, I have no idea. The tv shows are a joke, and wont bother exposing this since Its not an overly used item.

I take it you are young, just getting into magic based on your posts and lack of overall knowledge. There is alot to learn.

Most of those videos you see on youtube are faked and/or home-made. The gimmick hasnt been reveled to them. Many make up their own way to accomplish it, most of the time in a very specific setting. It had nothing to do with authenic exposure.

If you are a serious performer, spending that kind of money on a proper gimmick would be nothing. The high price is to keep it that way, plus Im sure it takes some actual time and materials to build it properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Well you are totally wrong.

First: What he means by last...is you want something properly built.

Oh OK. I see.

Quote:
Second: You dont have to worry about exposure of this or anything else. It almost never affects us.
The higher the cost of the item, does not increase the risk of exposure. Where you got that Idea, I have no idea.

Well, it's just my hindsite :)
What I've come across with software and some other products are, if a product is reasonable priced and made readily affordable, most people would prefer to buy one for themselves and wouldn't bother to wait or to look for alternatives.

Quote:
The tv shows are a joke, and wont bother exposing this since Its not an overly used item.

Not exactly. While, some exposed tricks shown by this program were not done in the exact ways magicians do them, some I saw were quite accurate and exact. I do know of someone who would not wink an eye to invest on his stage props/gimmicks that cost over tens of grands or even touching over hundred grands, and I have already seen them revealed on this show.

Quote:
I take it you are young, just getting into magic based on your posts and lack of overall knowledge. There is alot to learn.

Well, the learning cycle in any field is always a continuous process. There'll always be new things, new discoveries, new challenges, and even old tricks re-invented in revolutionary ways of performance. So, I'd rather believe that I'm always young, and always willing to probe and learn new things. That way, I will then be able to progress :)

Quote:
Most of those videos you see on youtube are faked and/or home-made. The gimmick hasnt been reveled to them. Many make up their own way to accomplish it, most of the time in a very specific setting. It had nothing to do with authenic exposure.

Yes, Most indeed are quite obvious like kids playing games. Some used strings to balance their lean. However, I did come across one or two that looked authentic.

Quote:
If you are a serious performer, spending that kind of money on a proper gimmick would be nothing. The high price is to keep it that way, plus Im sure it takes some actual time and materials to build it properly.

If the high price is to make the trick more exclusive, keeping away from too many people owning it, I'd agree. However, is there a full proof (or some form of getting assurances) way to know that this is always the case. Or perhaps, at least I must know that a particular manufacturer will always honor that, and really has a way to keep it at that :)

Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:02 am 
born to perform.

pcbg007 wrote:
Hello,

does anyone here know where to buy or custom-build the leg braces for the Matrix Lean like what Cyril Takayama did, at a reasonable cost? The one that's sold by a Taiwan company is far over-priced at about $2150!

BTW, if anyone does know also of the source of any other magic tricks used by Cyril Takayama (American Japanese) and Lu Chen (Taiwanese) kindly advice. Lots of magic performed by these two top magicians are very unique, clean and appear impossible.

Thanks very much in advance!

I assume you could buy a lot of plaster and make a full body cast. That shouldn't be much more than $20.

Just make sure you wear baggy clothing when performing.

And don't fall down

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:20 am 
Penguin

Quote:
I assume you could buy a lot of plaster and make a full body cast. That shouldn't be much more than $20.

Just make sure you wear baggy clothing when performing.

And don't fall down

Oh ye! Looks like you must have bought and tried that for yourself.

Thank you, but unfortunately I'm allergic to casting material:)

However, I may be able to assist to get it at below $10 for you!