View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One Handed Tricks. Need help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm 
Penguin

Hi all. This year I was all set up to teach my nephew some card magic. Because it's long distance, we finally got the internet set up so I could teach him using a web cam. However, he injured his right hand (he's right handed) and won't be able to use it again for 6 months! He's so upset because we had so many things planned for him this year.

I was thinking of teaching him some good old coin tricks now, although I'm not well versed in coin magic I could pick up some basic stuff to teach him. I want to know what are some really good 1 handed tricks either with coin, props, cards ect.

Thank you for the help.

Post subject: Re: One Handed Tricks. Need help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:42 pm 
born to perform.

does he have a hand glove type thing he has to wear or something? im sure he could use that to his advantage!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm 
born to perform.

My recommendation are some fancy one handed cuts, Muscle pass, one handed DL. They might not be magic routines per se but there are a lot of one handed moves and he may be able to come up with a routine with them. There are also a few goon one handed faro videos on youtube he might check out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am 
Penguin

Well he goes in on Tuesday so I'm not sure what he'll be fitted with. They have to remove a tendon from his wrist and add it to the finger that was injured so I don't suspect he'l be able to use his right hand at all.

Thanks for the video ideas. I'll watch them and pass the ones along that would best suit him. I'm also revisiting my old coin books so he can start in on some basic stuff maybe work out a vanish or something for him. One handed cuts I'll have him practice as well. i'll also search the store and see if there aren't any easy props for one handed use and maybe get him a gift for after his operation.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am 
born to perform.

Two words:

Rene Lavand 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:29 am 
born to perform.

you could teach him the snap change and maybe even a ball and vase routine. Plus if he has a cast he can use that to ditch stuff lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:36 am 
Penguin

How old is he? If he's too young, don't inundate him with too much sleight of hand which could get very frustrating very quickly. Not to mention depending on how much (if anything) his injured hand can do, even one-handed sleights/flourishes will be hard to accomplish without a second hand to put the deck (or other item) in the proper position first. Generally when I do a one handed cut or a hot-shot cut, I've used my right hand to place the deck in the proper position into my left hand.

I would suggest something simple like a criss cross force. Easy to do and with a little misdirection he may even be able to let the spectator shuffle the cards first. The flip flop force would be good also because once he gets the card he wants on top of the deck, he won't even have to touch it again and the spec will do all the work.

From there he can go crazy with his method of reveal from having a prediction in an a sealed envelope in plain sight the whole time or he could take a lesson from Penn and Teller and make a half hearted attempt at finding the card, fail, and then reveal the card in a surprising way after (pretending to be despondent from not finding the right card he bites into his turkey sandwich only to find an eight of diamonds instead of cheese.....after spitting it from his mouth, he asks "was this your card?"). With one of the simplest forces imaginable, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Crazy Man Handcuffs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:39 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Crazy Man Handcuffs

That would be really cool using the spectator's extended thumbs to stretch the first rubber band over.

I might seem a bit tough to perform the necessary sleight smoothly without using his dominant hand but with a little extra practice, it would be workable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:23 pm 
born to perform.

Some mental magic with cards or things that don't require him to write much down, memorized deck work, Out of this World, and some other great plots like that don't really require two hands.

-JT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm 
Penguin

Wow great stuff. :!: Some of it I didn't even think of. I'm kind of excited to start teaching him some basic stuff. I figure he can practice simple stuff and when his cast comes off, it'll be that much easier to actually do a trick.

He is 10 years old, and very good about practicing little things. Of the 3 nephews, he is the only one that would even stick with something. Of course, he doesn't have much of a choice, there isn't much you can do 1 handed.

I did find a couple of basic tricks already he can try out on his brothers that is very simple. I hope that in a couple of weeks I'll have lots of things to teach him and keep his mind off the fact he has only one hand.

Keep the ideas ocming