View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vortex VS. Approaching magic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys recently these 2 books have caught my eye big time since I am looking for good and big book on magic.But I cant make my mind between the Tom Stones Vortex and David Regals Approaching magic so please give me a hint on this,becuse I am doing chores for my mother to get one of these books.I am 14 by the way,so please help.

Post subject: Re: Vortex VS. Approaching magic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 pm 
Team Penguin

Go with Approaching Magic. David Regal is AMAZING, and there is something for everyone.

Nothing against Tom Stone, as he is GREAT; his style is just... ONLY his. You can't do a WHOLE lot different with his material other than what was originally intended.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

I can't speak to Vortex but Approaching Magic is phenomenal. There is a ton of really great card magic; packet tricks, full deck tricks and a section on useful sleights. In addition, you get a wide variety of coin magic, levitations, mentalism, comedy, invisible thread and some excellent essays on magic. Really, really creative material by Regal. Some of his signature pieces are in that book such as Cocoa, his hot chocolate and marshmallows chop cup routine and the Puppy Trick, his ambitious card routine.

If you are looking for a book with a lot of unique magic, this book is a great value. This book will keep you busy for a very long time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:47 pm 
Penguin

Go for option C... Absolute Magic.

:D

Pauldela

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 am 
Penguin

Approaching Magic is full of great, useable, adaptable material. Haven't read Vortex but it seems the sort of thing that you'll either love or hate. So the choice is between taking the risk on Vortex or going with the guaranteed-something-for-everyone that Approaching Magic offers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 am 
born to perform.

I don't have Vortex, but I do have Approaching Magic and I LOVE it. You seriously can not go wrong with Approaching Magic. Plus, Vortex was JUST released, while Approaching Magic has been out a few years, so you probably will have a longer chance to get Vortex than Approaching Magic. Here's a short review I wrote on the Approaching Magic product page...

Quote:
A Love/Hate Relationship with David Regal

To be honest, I don't even know how to start with this book. I think I could go on and on about how great all of the effects are and how clever the premises are, but I will try to keep this short! In a word this book is...high quality.

High Quality Production: Glossy paper, binding, printing, hardcover, dust jacket, etc. This is the type of book that you will be proud to have on your shelf and be able to hold. Production values on this book are incredible.

High Quality Tricks: You will find almost any type of magic you want in this book. Card magic, coin magic, bar magic, packet tricks, parlor effects, kid show effects, levitations, gambling themed effects, three bottle productions, a cups and balls routine (With mugs and marshmallows), mentalism...you name it, and you can probably find it in this book! It simply amazing how ALL of these amazing ideas can come from one man! I hate David Regal.

High Quality Methods: None of these effects are pipe-dreams from David's imagination. These are effects that WORK and have brilliant methods. David's thread hook-up is one of the best I've seen. It's innovative and so simple. His multiple coin vanisher is just as brilliant! And you'll find yourself laughing at how smart the methods are for the mugs and marshmallows routine, in which hot chocolate is produced at the end. Even David's nongimmicked methods are great too! Another reason why everybody hates David Regal.

High Quality Premises and Presentations: This is another one of David's specialties (Geez, is there anything he isn't good at? I mean, can he give us any more reasons to hate him!). All of these effects have a "hook" that will make spectators remember the effect and make the effect much more entertaining. This is probably one of my favorite aspects of David's magic. He doesn't just give you a trick if it doesn't have a rhyme or reason to it. Instead he gives you a presentation about flight attendants, or a guessing game that will judge how strong the love is between two people, or a test to see who is luckier; the male of the female. The list goes on and on. If you learn absolutely NOTHING else from this book, which in that case you would have to be crazy, then you should take away that presentations are extremely important, and are usually even more important than the trick!

So like I said, it seems every magician I know, including me, "hates" David Regal because everything he creates is so prolific and so ingenious. He creates real-world stuff that will make you and your audiences laugh, have fun, be fooled, and most importantly be entertained. David gives you the tools, you just have to learn how to use them right. I guarantee you won't be let down by buying this book.

Highly recommended!

Also I should say, it's great to see a 14 year-old interested in such great books like the ones you have picked out. I actually got AM when I was 14 (Last year) and I loved it (Obviously I still do). It's always encouraging to see somebody else very young to be asking about a book to get, rather than what Theory 11 trick to get. :D Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:35 am 
Penguin

Evan Bishop,thank you very much on your support.I now have collected the money to buy the book and will order it as soon as I get the opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 pm 
born to perform.

If you wanna learn misdirection or get a deeper understanding of it, go to Tom Stone. He has a very deep understanding of it, and here in Sweden he is known as a master of misdirection, sorta. I haven't had the chance to read his book yet, but I've been to his workshop twice, and I've been talking to him personally a couple of times, the guy's a genius. But I agree, you might not want to perform his routines if you can't truly make it fit your character, I'll personally get the book just to understand the theory behind the routines, and that can be applied to everything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 pm 
Penguin

Out of curiosity, and for those who have "Approaching Magic," what are your favorite routines from the book? I have the book, like it, but not a lot stuck in terms of stuff I'll use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

In terms of stuff I do on a regular basis...not a lot. But there are a few tricks that are working there way into my rare close up performance opportunities. The invisible thread hookup, Royal Jazz Quartet is very nice, and the magic beer mat.

I've used a his puppy theme in my ACR many, many times but I don't use his gimmick. Which brings me to a greater point about Regal and this book. His routines and thinking influences almost everything else in my set list regardless of whether I do any particular Regal routines. The guy is a creative dynamo.