View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Process by Andrew Gerard
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:01 pm 
Penguin

have anyone got this? i have tryed to find out the effect and video from this but its not much out there.

you know what this is about?

Post subject: Re: The Process by Andrew Gerard
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

Not my review, but a good read:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/process.html

Quote:
Spending $100 to learn how to take your routines to the next level is certainly more than a fair price. The question becomes whether this information delivers what it promises. And, to put it simply, it does.

Andrew Gerard's products have always been first-rate stuff and I can recommend just about anything he's released. In this DVD, he discusses how to turn the simplest of effects into the most powerful and memorable experiences for the performer, both mentalist and magician.

And, yes, what he teaches most definitely will take your performances to the next level. But...and I think you knew this was coming...I don't think that Gerard really explored his topic as much as he could have.

Now, I have to be careful discussing this because I don't want to give away what he's included as far as the technique itself. That's what you pay for. It's certainly a technique that I believe most professionals should already know, but based on my experience watching a number of mentalists (and magicians, for that matter) I'd say that they don't use it enough. And they should.

My issue is that Gerard talks about this in terms of the performer who's performing in casual situations, not a formal performance. This is all well and good, but "The Process" can definitely be applied to formal performances as well. And I wish he would have discussed that because, though the principles are essentially the same, there are differences which need to be discussed when adapting these principles to formal performances.

Gerard does illustrate his techniques by demonstrating and teaching effects that use the Process. The first is a drawing duplication effect which can be entirely impromptu and uses business cards. Most know that I just love business card mentalism, so I really, really liked this, though there's nothing really new here in terms of methods or techniques.

There's also a very nice combination sequence of versions of Simon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored and Paul Curry's Out of this World. Plus there's a "card at any number" effect and one in which the performer reads the participant to determine the thought-of card.

Now, I'm assuming that Gerard's main audience for this is the casual performer or the hobbyist who occasionally performs. It's probably also intended for those who wish to use this in one's pick-up artistry arsenal. That said, this will certainly improve the power of their performances, providing, of course, that they use it. Professionals can also certainly use it to enhance their performances in one-on-one or small group situations.

There is no question that, by itself, this information is certain valid and valuable. I'm also certain that Andrew Gerard is not the first to discover and use these techniques, though many magicians have obviously, and for various reasons, yet to put them into practice. So, if you feel that you're not getting the reaction that you've always wanted, especially if you're a hobbyist or casual performer, then this may provide some of the answers to that.

Quotes like "those who wish to use this in one's pick-up artistry arsenal" make me kinda hesitant. Is it like that Hilford trick that turned out to be exactly like The Cube off PUA boards?

Even weirder, the reviewer says "especially if you're a hobbyist or casual performer" yet, Andrew says on the Cafe, "this dvd is not for beginner/ casual hobbyist". So I don't get it...