View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: where is a good place to actually perform for stranger?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:39 am 
Penguin

to practice magic? any good place?

Post subject: Re: where is a good place to actually perform for stranger?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:40 am 
Penguin

and any good way to introduce yourself so then people will able to comfortable to see your magic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 am 
Penguin

Mr Jeff McBride gives great advice in his teaching dvd's, and one came to mind when I read what you posted above. I believe it was actually his father that came up with it for him. I can't remember the exact words neither the dvd it is on, but here goes:

"If you want practice (and remember that one performance is equal to a weeks practice) go to the local children's hospital. You will not find a more greatful audience, and you might even get some free publicity out of it."

Now this is really great advice. Think about it: You can't dissapoint anyone, as you are there giving a free service to people that more than anyone need to believe in miracles. There will always be people to perform for (sadly), so you can get all the practice you need or want. People will admire you and be grateful to you, for what you are doing for their nearest. Children have nothing to do in a hospital all day long! You will build your selfconfidence, and soon people will ask you if you do birthdays and so on. This can be your leap into paid performances.

There are things to consider though: Always ask the staff where and when to perform! Have THEM tell you where your services might be needed. You are there to help, and not to stand in the way of the people working there!

Also some of these children might be very ill. Consider the fact that it can be very demanding for you to be with sick children often. It is not for everyone! Worst case scenario; one of the children you have performed for several times doesn't make it. (This happened to me, and I didn't return to the hospital for quite a while). It is ok to stay away for a while. It is your choise to be there, and though I felt I got so much in return when performing in hospitals, some might think it requires too much of them! This is personal, and one must feel for oneself.
Some of the children might not benefit from getting too excited. Again consult the staff, and bring a book you can read to the children that might otherwise miss out on your visit. (This might also give you a nice break)

One a side notice, there are other places to go that would much appreciate you! Retirement homes, Orphanages etc.

Thank you

-Widding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:01 am 
born to perform.

thomas11_2000 wrote:
to practice magic? any good place?

viewtopic.php?f=10015&t=153168

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:58 pm 
Penguin

nice idea Akira, i may give it a try. as for the hospital idea, for me i've already decided to do it, i just need to get up and do it. i wonder how often should one go??? maybe the first or last friday every month or every 2nd sunday???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:13 pm 
born to perform.

You normally need to fill out a form, get a background check, then take a class before performing at a Children's hospital. The one in Dallas has a line of people that already do it, so it's sometimes hard to schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:50 pm 
Penguin

the idea that provided above are good, however it is not that practical. I mean we cannot easily find a hospital, night market or orphanage to practice performing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm 
Penguin

Ok then go online. Use things like "chatroulette"... People are just waiting to be entertained! You can do magic tricks from your armchair to people all over the world!

-Widding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:18 pm 
Penguin

Tryllearne wrote:
Ok then go online. Use things like "chatroulette"... People are just waiting to be entertained! You can do magic tricks from your armchair to people all over the world!

-Widding

no, I don't mean that, don't need to go that extreme. I just mean we can go one step closer to practical. Does anyone practice perform somewhere as coffee shop , cafe, any place like that? I just mean something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:39 pm 
Penguin

Last piece of advice I could give you then is busking. You could go read the several threads on this.

-Widding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

thomas11_2000 wrote:
I just mean we can go one step closer to practical.

Where do you live? If it's in the US, I'll find several places near you that you can perform.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 pm 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:
thomas11_2000 wrote:
I just mean we can go one step closer to practical.

Where do you live? If it's in the US, I'll find several places near you that you can perform.

yes, in NYC, where do you recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm 
born to perform.

thomas11_2000 wrote:

In the South, there's Front and Water street
Mid you got Central Park
6th street

You're in the largest population city in the US, and you can't find people or places to perform?

Bars are like zoos there, offer the owner of a very busy bar a great deal on your magic services, with the first two walk-around gigs for free. Ditto for a restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:
thomas11_2000 wrote:

In the South, there's Front and Water street
Mid you got Central Park
6th street

You're in the largest population city in the US, and you can't find people or places to perform?

Bars are like zoos there, offer the owner of a very busy bar a great deal on your magic services, with the first two walk-around gigs for free. Ditto for a restaurant.

yeah! I'm starting to find gigs recently in restaurant and bars but I'm not yet that good to convince them, I tried many restaurant in w4st but they rejected me. That was only my first day but I will try again. And yeah I will try those place too, water street or others to practice perform because I really need to get more experience before start as a career, overcome some nervous and make good presentation on my tricks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:14 am 
born to perform.

thomas11_2000 wrote:
the idea that provided above are good, however it is not that practical. I mean we cannot easily find a hospital, night market or orphanage to practice performing.

There aren't any easy-to-find hospitals in NYC?
Perhaps you could just follow an ambulance until it stops at a hospital.