View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recommendations for following "think stop."
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:47 pm 
Penguin

I am an amateur magician who aspires to become professional. I purchased Luke Jermay's "Think Stop" and was impressed with its clarity and power.

What tricks do you follow up "think stop" with? What tricks go nicely with it, or how do you follow up that trick? Any advice would be helpful, please give reasons.

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for following "think stop."
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:07 pm 

Well you have asked a good question. the answer is: whatever you feel like doing afterwards. We have no idea of your skill level and what branch of magic you are skilled in so there is no way we can answer for you. If I did that effect I would immediatly put the cards away and do some rope magic or even coin magic. But that is how I routine things others may stay with cards the whole show. It's all up to you

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm 
born to perform.

Try to make a three phase routine that builds. IE.

1. Annemann's "Mind over Muscle"-Mentalists used muscle reading to divine one of 5 cards.
2. Think stop- Now familiar with the spectator the mentalist can read the spectators reaction as the card goes by.
3. Card force and or peek- For the climax the mentalist has the spectator merely think of the card and he/she is able to directly divine the number and suite.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:03 am 
Penguin

Great advice Paddy.

Eostresh, I failed to put "three part routine" in my OP, but that is what I was thinking. Something to warm up to, and cool down from think stop.

Thanks for the help guys, and I will look into anneman.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:34 pm 
born to perform.

I'll have to do a little digging, I cant remember if it was Luke Jermay book, or a Derren Brown book, but one of these books had a LOVELY routine, where you cause a spectator to stop his watch by thinking stop, have another spectator do the same, and finally you tell someone in the the audience to "think stop" and his watch stops as well! A real killer, and i'v been meaning to mesh the 2 ideas recently. Give it a go and see what you can come up with!

In Magic,
Tyler

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:09 pm 
Penguin

nvollmann wrote:
. . . Something to warm up to, and cool down from think stop.
. . . .

Be careful you do not make a routine that is anti-climactic. You'd want something even more awesome to follow Time Stop and finish on a high note.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:24 pm 
Penguin

I hadn't really considered that. I suppose this is just one of those things that will be worked out with experience.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Penguin

nvollmann wrote:
I hadn't really considered that. I suppose this is just one of those things that will be worked out with experience.

I'm with Arch on this one. I open with the best card trick in the world, continue with the invisible deck, follow that with the kolossal killer, and finish by covering the deck with a hankie, and throwing it into the air, where the hankie pops open, and instead of a game of 52 pickup, it showers the audience with a cloud of paper butterflies.
(Unfortunately, I have no freakin' clue where I picked up that last one. It was an old book, I think Hugard...)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:25 am 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
nvollmann wrote:

I'm with Arch on this one. I open with the best card trick in the world, continue with the invisible deck, follow that with the kolossal killer, and finish by covering the deck with a hankie, and throwing it into the air, where the hankie pops open, and instead of a game of 52 pickup, it showers the audience with a cloud of paper butterflies.
(Unfortunately, I have no freakin' clue where I picked up that last one. It was an old book, I think Hugard...)

Not to rain on your pet routine but this guy asked for effects that go along with think stop, not a list of your personal favorite routine. I don't mean to be rude about it but we rarely see beginners with the forethought to ask specific questions (they usually ask "what's the most visual trick in the world" type of generalities) so I feel we owe it to the ones who do think out their questions to keep our answers on topic. Specifically, I think the ID and Kolossal killer, if presented right, would go well with think stop. But vanishing the deck into paper butterflies? How do you justify that with think stop?

@ the OP. It might also help you to think of your underlying premise in your presentation of think stop. For instance, if you are demonstrating a psychic feat then the ID would go well with it. If you are demonstrating a poker players ability to read tells then you might look into the 10 card poker deal as a possible follow up.

p.s. I'm also with Arch on the fact that you don't want a "Cool Down" Stick with the rule of three. Three effects that play well together. You can play around with 1st and 2nd, as in which one goes first the stronger or the weaker effect, but the last effect should always be the most powerful.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:22 pm 
Penguin

Thanks everyone. As of now, I've decided to focus on perfecting simple card control and perfecting a few simple tricks with an ungaffed deck. Many of the recommendations were added to my wish list. I feel like a lot of what I'm looking for is gaining confidence with participants.

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am 
Penguin

Confidence comes with experience. Perfect your routine, but get out there and perform.

-ArchAngel_G