View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for "New-Bees"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm 
born to perform.

I see a lot of people asking what are good products to buy when they are starting out. Well, I will give a list in hopes of helping those of you who need some guidance and advice from someone who used to be in your shoes when I started out in magic. Please let me know if this list is helpful, and if so write back what kind of magic you like and maybe I can give you a more specific recommendation:

If you want a dvd with a lot of cool magic that can be done with all kinds of different objects, check out Jay Sankey's dvd called "Anytime, Anywhere".

If you want a dvd with a few VERY use able card routines that can be mastered with limited practice I would get Oz Pearlman's "Born to Perform Card Magic"

If you want a dvd with a good amount (10 or so) of different coin tricks and ideas with coins try to check out David Stone's "Basic Coin Magic" Volume 1 or I also like Jay Sankey's "Best Coin Magic".

If you want a dvd that will teach you a very easy routine that isn't cards or coins that will absolutely kill I would pick up Jay Noblezada's "Sponge" dvd.

If you are looking for a somewhat difficult gimmicked card routine pick up Richard Sander's "Identity". This routine has gotten me great reactions over the past 2 years or so that I have been doing it.

If you want something visual and fun to learn that if done well really is a great routine I would get Richard Sander's "Fiber Optics". It is a dvd on rope magic.

Lastly a dvd with some really cool card magic on it try Mathew Dowden's "Party Animal" and if you want a different but great, fun routine, pick up Greg Wilson's (love him) "Pointless".

...If this helped please let me know and if you would like other recommendations just reply with what genre you want, etc... and I will try to help. ENJOY!

-Ari

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for "New-Bees"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 am 
born to perform.

lol
The way you spelled Bees I was thinking you were making recommendations on alterations for Bee Club specials....ie...Why don't you print them on Aristocrat stock and give them a faded white boarder :o ! Oh wait... :oops: :?: never mind :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 am 
Penguin

Isn't there already a "Guide of What to Buy" here?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 am 
born to perform.

Yes but people keep asking and I am recommending different products.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am 
born to perform.

I VOTE STICKY!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

The problem is that none of the recommendations actually holds any weight, because all it is is the name of a product. If you have an opinion, back it up with evidence.

If the reason for you posting this was because you disagree with the recommendations other people have given out, then you should at least perform a side-by-side comparison of your recommendations and theirs, explaining why you felt yours were better overall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 pm 
born to perform.

i thought he was talking about bee playing cards :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:55 pm 
Penguin

I highly recommend Mark Wilson's basic course in magic. It's a book, is fairly common, and gives a great overview of all sorts of magic tricks, from billiards to a few grand illusions.
I'd also recommend Bobo's modern coin magic. Of course.

If you can get it, I suggest Harlan Tarbell's works. They're pretty comprehensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
I highly recommend Mark Wilson's basic course in magic. It's a book, is fairly common, and gives a great overview of all sorts of magic tricks, from billiards to a few grand illusions.
I'd also recommend Bobo's modern coin magic. Of course.

If you can get it, I suggest Harlan Tarbell's works. They're pretty comprehensive.

Also GREAT suggestions! I had been doing magic for a couple years when I got Mark Wilson's Complete Course, and I learned a TON! and I'm STILL learning from it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:32 pm 
born to perform.

I explained what each dvd taught and that is what people have been asking to know. People want to know what dvd's to buy and I put some of my favorites and what material is on them.

-Ari

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:22 am 
Penguin

Hi guys! This is my first post, first I'd like to say thank you to y'all for your posts helping others.

I'd like to start in this amazing world. I found in a little store near my house a set of 4 DVD's by "Roberto Giobbi" called Card College, the price wasn't bad, and I want to know your opinions because if is not a good choice I will have to take a look on online stores and the shipping prices are a little expensive :P

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm 
born to perform.

16Kat wrote:
Hi guys! This is my first post, first I'd like to say thank you to y'all for your posts helping others.

I'd like to start in this amazing world. I found in a little store near my house a set of 4 DVD's by "Roberto Giobbi" called Card College, the price wasn't bad, and I want to know your opinions because if is not a good choice I will have to take a look on online stores and the shipping prices are a little expensive :P

The Card College books are highly regarded. I assume the DVDs should be good as well But I have yet to read a review or get a chance to watch?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
born to perform.

I started with a set called. "Royal Road to Card Magic" and I loved it. There are two sets with the before mentioned name. The one I have is an orange box and contains 5 dvds. The other one is in a green box (I think) and only a 4 dvd set. I do not have Card College but I really enjoyed, "Royal Road to card Magic".

Enjoy your journey....

-Ari

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 am 
born to perform.

afelbs wrote:
I started with a set called. "Royal Road to Card Magic" and I loved it. There are two sets with the before mentioned name. The one I have is an orange box and contains 5 dvds. The other one is in a green box (I think) and only a 4 dvd set. I do not have Card College but I really enjoyed, "Royal Road to card Magic".

Enjoy your journey....

-Ari

I believe the 5 disk set of Royal Road in the orange box is by Paul Wilson. It got me back into the swing of things when I revived my interest. (I'd had a 10 year layoff so I was essentially a beginer) It is a good set but kind of boring. I like Paul Wilson a lot but more for "what" he teaches than "how" he teaches. Still, everything was thoroughly explained and all the angles were covered. Not a bad buy at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 am 
born to perform.

Yes, it is by Paul Wilson. He is kinda boring but there is alot on those discs.