View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tricks For The Substitute Teacher Needed!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 pm 
Penguin

I am looking for a few nice tricks to perform for classrooms as ice breakers, etc. I am obviously not putting on a full-blown show or anything, but magic is something that truly grabs their attention. I was thinking of maybe doing a trick in the morning and if they behave I can show them a few more throughout the day. Basically, I want to treat them with nice effects of magic as a reward for letting me do my job. I am not looking to do card tricks or use a TT (my hands are very small and quite white so the tips always look stupid/obvious). I have the TKO so I can do a pretty simple coin vanish, but my shirt is tucked in so retrieving it is pretty much impossible. I also have sponges and a lot of card tricks, but as I said cards are not what I want to do. I want things that are very visual and gimmicks are welcomed. They are just kids that are sitting at desks so I can get away with more than most.

I thought about getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Magic-Book- ... 0982860404 and a few other tricks. What would you guys recommend? An ITR? Gecko? etc?

Post subject: Re: Tricks For The Substitute Teacher Needed!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:36 am 
born to perform.

What age are the children/ how big are the classes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:24 am 
Penguin

Elementary school aged kids with class sizes being about 20 to 25 tops.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 am 
born to perform.

Three tricks that I always perform at every kids show are: Hippity hop rabbits, wizard hat tear, and vanishing crayon box along with magic coloring book. All three great for kids!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 am 
born to perform.

Hi!!

I started out wanting to be a teacher. I have my degree but have since discovered magic and entertaining lay-folk is my main job now and I love it. I still do however sub in the local schools as my part time job to magic. I am certified to sub at any age level. I smiled when I saw this post because I use magic all the time as a sub and like you said it can help keep the kids "good" if they know they are behaving to see a trick aka get entertained by the adult in the room.

To the tricks:
-Try Pointless by Gregery Wilson
-I know you have spongeballs but they do play well for younger kids like you have
-I do what I think is called the Bird Catcher Paddle (Penguin sells it and Jay Noblezada teaches the instant lesson when you order it)
-Rope magic like prof nightmare/Richard Sanders' rope dvd has more moves on it
-Airborne with the greatest of ease when you pour yourself a drink will really grab their attention.

If you need more let me know and ill respond. have a good one, teach!!

-Ari :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
born to perform.

afelbs wrote:
-Airborne with the greatest of ease when you pour yourself a drink will really grab their attention.

Isn't that the one where you pour a glass of booze out of a bottle? ...Great! You are just like the substitute teachers I had when I was a kid!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm 
Penguin

Remember this: if these children are past 2nd grade, do not perform the tricks that are typical for six year-old kids. As we age, I think we tend to forget that children are maturing faster than they have in past decades. They learn more at a younger age, generally speaking.

While I don't want to offend Bluebackedcards, I would think that (unless the children are under the age of 9) they would want to see magic that is more mature, so to speak.

I have never had the talent of being an effective magician for children, since I try to respect them as adults, and I feel I'm offending them if I act silly around them. This, I suppose, originates from having been confronted by so many adults who treated me like a baby until I was 16 (which, of course, was still not notably mature).

What I mean to say is that I would consider it embarrassing if a magician performing for 10-year-old me decided to do something like the Penut Butter and Jelly illusion, over-using phrases like, "Now, kids, what are the magic words?!" and "Great job, buddy! High five!!!" and "Well, now, how did that happen?!"

In essence, just take caution so as not to undermine the intellect of your audience.

That said, I recommend anything that is highly visual, appropriate for all ages, and that is relevent to a school setting. Under that category are things such as Healed and Sealed, Pencil Through Dollar Bill (Misled), and the Hundred Dollar Bill Switch (which is more a category than it is a single effect).

Most importantly of all, don't focus upon which effects to do as much as you do upon your presentation for each.
These effects are all relevent to school students, but the presentation must be one to which they can relate, or it will fall flat entirely, and could (in the worst case) create a more negative than positive impression of you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:45 pm 
born to perform.

Hey eostresh LOL

You can rig it up to other bottles too! hahaha

I have it rigged up to a metal water bottle....But yea that would be cool if one (teacher) poured their liquor from it in front of the class.

haha

-Ari