View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: help. advice on how to give a desired effect please.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
Penguin

I am a magician, who is also an actor. my director approached me and asked me to find away of giving the effect of lightning/electricity from the fingertips, my first thoughts were "electric touch +", but then I thought "would this be any good as a stage performance, or is it solely for close up". Also does anyone
1. know a way or gimmick to not just create smoke, but shoot it across stage/in to the audience or crowd?
2. Make what can only be described as "a golden shower of rain"? <<< I know this sounds silly, but I have been asked to try and find a way. anything close to that would be great.
Thanks to anyone who can provide any help at all.

Post subject: Re: help. advice on how to give a desired effect please.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 pm 

Electric Touch won't work as there's no visible spark, just a static discharge when you touch someone.

I'm not even sure I know what you mean by "golden shower of rain"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm 
Penguin

The only thing that comes to mind for shooting lightning from your finfertips is a Tesla Coil. A Van De Graff generator and Jacob's Ladder were often used by early movie makers to create the mad scientist effect in movies, i.e. lightning shooting between two points or antennas. These look VERY cool, even today. I am a electronics tech and have built many of these devices during my life. As far as incorporating them into a stage show, you're going to need to hire a electrical engineer with experience in such areas, it's something we all learn about in electronics school (think Tesla). Don't try building this stuff by yourself, you could very easily get killed, we're talking about electricity at very high voltages and frequencies and it's amazing Tesla didn't kill himself during early experiments. Go to Youtube or Google Tesla Coil, Jacob's Ladder, Van De Graff generator for some idea of what I'm talking about. I think you'll be impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am 
Penguin

thanks, and shucks I was really hoping electric touch would be the one for me. By "golden shower of rain"... I basically mean that I need to some how "shoot" yellow smoke or something to resemble water across a stage, any visual effect like this would be great.
P.s. "golden shower of rain" comes from Greek mythology, Zeus turns him self in to a "golden shower of rain" in order to impregnate Danaƫ, and make there demi-god son, Perseus. Anyway this is sort of what I am aiming to achieve the visual effect of. Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:55 am 
Penguin

I would use a smoke machine and projector for both.

You might also use florescent cord, tied to the performers wrists, and led off stage to a stage hand. Add black light and the cord looks like it is electrified, shake the ends of the chord off stage and you have a great effect that simulates electicity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:02 pm 
Penguin

For the golden shower of rain you could fill a homemade air canon with dry ice smoke and shoot. Kinda like this http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab ... x-launcher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am 
Penguin

thanks both great ideas i'll look in to them, and try find a way to make a mini smoke cannon. As for the rope idea, not sure how well that would work, as we will be traveling around theaters, no all are the same. But ill see if there is a way. :)