View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Zap
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:00 am 
Penguin

How difficult is zap by Hon Wong?

Post subject: Re: Zap
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 am 
Penguin

Again, you're posting this in the "card" section. You're asking the wrong group, haha. You might want to ask Hypnosis questions in the "Mentalism" or "Advice" forums.

I have to apologize, because I didn't exactly look up what "Zap" was when you posted the last thread. I just assumed "Zap" was a card trick because of the thread it was under..

By the looks of it, Zap doesn't seem to be anything too special, despite the claims. I've seen plenty of people use methods by the "World's Fastest Hypnotist", one of which is Marc Savard on YouTube (his speed induction video).

Honestly, and you'll probably hate me for ignoring the two products you're asking about, I'd say go for "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis" by Ormond McGill, or really any of his beginner material. That book itself is not just about stage hypnosis, but rather hypnosis in General, and then shifts to performances. It'll teach you the foundations of hypnosis, and then you could literally use the methods in each of your previous selections.

Hypnosis is a science, and Ormond will teach you the science itself. The Manchurian Approach will teach you a little but leave you hanging, and it looks like Zap is the same way. Not to mention Zap seems very sketchy, it inspires people to hypnotize a total stranger in about 30 seconds of meeting them, which isn't even enough time to get permission from most people, and it involves yanking the participant to the ground. There's plenty that can go wrong, including law suits. I'm not sure if you wanna get in trouble with court over this material, and the advertisement promises things that won't always happen, such as "People love to be hypnotized!!". That's total crap, because I've had a woman scream at me for worshipping a certain red-skinned, horned fallen angel, and practicing his witchcraft whilst hypnotizing a friend of mind at a park (it probably doesn't help that she's riddled with tattoos and has a couple of face-piercings, but the woman was still screaming at me). Hypnosis takes participation, and I doubt Hon could hypnotize that woman after the mention of the word "hypnosis".

I'd say just read some of the bad reviews for Zap. One of them even tells you to go for the Manchurian Approach, which I believe would be a better purchase. However, I'm telling you to get "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis", because it's an even better purchase than that.

Sorry for the lengthy replies, but I'd like for you to not waste $80+ , for your sake.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am 
Team Penguin

Hey guys!

I moved this forum to the advice forum and deleted the duplicate post to make it easier for people who are knowledgeable about the subject to post on it.

I dabble in hypnosis myself, but I have a lot of friends who are professionals and make full time livings doing hypnosis shows. From what I understand, ZAP has some really cool subtleties, but is certainly not a place you want to start out with.

To answer the question that was really asked, no hypnosis is "easy". It requires a lot of practice, good spectator management and several other elements that can really only be gleamed from performing. The best resource that I can recommend is:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11664

It's got a LOT of information and is a much, much better comprehensive overview. ZAP is certainly very good and has it's own merits, but I'd only look into it after you've started performing hypnosis and found out if that kind of induction is right for you.

Again, it's not easy. But The Manchurian Approach is probably your best bet for a starting place.

All the best,
-Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 pm 
Penguin

I have a manuscript titled "Zapped" from about ten years ago. It is a hypnotic method for making a spectator think he is sitting in a electric chair that the magician controls. I've seen it performed by a magician/hypnotist and it's a riot. It's 100% safe as no electricity is involved whatsoever, just the spectator's mind. A stooge is not involved, but there are methods for determining what type of spectator would work best for this effect.

If you want to build a working (but safe) electric chair I recommend Paul Osborne's HALLOWEEN ILLUSIONS book. I think it's called 'Electra, the Electric Girl' or something like that. When she is in the chair (and all but naked) she can hold light bulbs or florescent tube lights and they will light up brightly. She can also shoot lightning bolts from her fingertips. The parts needed are fairly easy to come by (a Google search and you'll have a source in less than a minute). This used to be a carnival sideshow illusion back in the day.

Osborne also just came out with another illusion book titled, STEP RIGHT UP, which contains a bunch of sideshow illusions. The live girl in a fishbowl is worth the price of the book. I s**t you not, a tiny little woman is seen swimming around inside a regular fishbowl, and in real time, you can even talk to her. Another favorite of mine is a magician who shoves his hand through a woman from behind her, then out her stomach. It's a real hand as all 4 other hands are accounted for (magician's and the girl's hands. There's a LOT more illusions in these books.

Here's the Haunted Illusions book:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13473

...and here's the Step Right Up book (carnival illusions):

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13482

The books are a far better investment than the individual illusion plans.

Last edited by swayze on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 pm 

I bought it when it first came out. NO WAY is it worth what they charge for it. MAYBE worth $30. but NOT $150

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I bought it when it first came out. NO WAY is it worth what they charge for it. MAYBE worth $30. but NOT $150

Agreed. You could buy a lot of hypnosis books for the same money and learn way more than this "induction"