View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'v been noticed, now I want the gigs!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:29 am 
Penguin

[size=9]Hi,
Everyone at school knows me and my magic. They all know i'm good but i'm having difficulty getting them to hire me. I know it sounds odd of me to be wanting to be hired by them , however, I have done a couple of parties for people at school and they all know i'd be amazing and funny, and as I'm only 14 my price is just £15 for half an hour.
They all think this is reasonable but ask if I'd do them for free. Well I do enjoy performing, but I would like some funding for the hobby.

At the moment the tricks I show at school are mainly card tricks and, I do a lot of packet card tricks i.e

NFW
Colour monte
E.S.P
Three card monte

I have been getting more of these so I can build my collection of counts, forces and learn to improve my patter. The problem being that card tricks, however amazing, done by a 14 year old boy arn't going to make that many people pay to see you.

I need a trick that has wow factor, and probably is'nt a card trick. Plus something people can grab out my hands.
I am reasonably talented (i.e not someone who saw blaine and thought I'll do magic!" )
I'v been interested in it since I was 6 or seven.
I have a good cups and balls routine helped by table hopping c'n'b.
Multiplying golf balls and sponge balls also come easily to me.

So any suggestions would be helpful. I don't mind tricky effects either beause i just want to learn. Yet if there is a self working one out there i'm not going to say I'm better than it.

Denzy :?
[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:35 am 
Penguin

Wow great job! But to the point, B-2 bomber is great, and so is hummingbird card. If it is dark out d'lite, the raven could work, you could buy bo bo's book of modern coin magic and learn the pinch vanish (and other tricks of course) and you could by the 3 in one quarter.

Thoes are the tricks I like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:55 am 
born to perform.

If your in front of a small crowd, then get Misled. Don't get it if your gonna get surrounded!!!

Post subject: Here are a few Great close up miracles...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:16 am 
Penguin

Gimmicks n Stuff

- Get some IT and levitate a card and general stuff around school...

- 3 Domino Monte is good for a one person (although cant be grabbed at immediatly

- B2-Bomber is great as already mentioned

- Get a TT and learn a bill switch, or just vanish leaves...

- Learn a self-levitation, somone is bound to ask you one day since david blain showed up.

- Colour Deception Brass is a FANTASTIC self working inspectable gimmick, a great sucker effect too...

- Uhh get Slow Burn maybe, or Hundy 500... I have heard nothing but great things...

Card Tricks (Gaffed)

- Hollow, a great souvineer trick! (Spectator thinks they inspected everything)

- Club Sandwich

- Invisible/Brainwave Deck

- Stripper Deck (Inspectable)

- Rising Card Deck

Card Tricks (Ungimmicked)

- 2 Card Monte (Great effect if you are crowded)

- Renegade (Great effect aswell if you are crowded)

- Transposition ( Do it for a Small group of people, watch your angles!)

- A 2 Card Transposition, see the one blaine used, yes I hate him but look at it and you will work it out, for some reason this has actually gotten me the best reaction i have ever seen... My mums friend literally ran , screamed squeezed the card from such a fright.... Don't ask me why)

- Coin Matrix...

- Count Down

- Do as I do

- Card Warp

- Out of this World

- Paperclipped

- Maxi-Twist

- Mystery Card (The ungimmicked one)

- Any Oil and Water Routine

- Colour Changing Deck (Sankeys Routine)

- Ambitious Card

- Invisible Palm Aces

Coins

Just pick up Bobo's Coin Magic, Scotch and Soda and maybe the Raven ... :P

Hope this helped :)
:twisted: Dylan :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:21 am 
born to perform.

Nice list Dylan! 8)

Post subject: Re: I'v been noticed, now I want the gigs!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:27 am 

denny wrote:
[size=9]Hi,
Everyone at school knows me and my magic. They all know i'm good but i'm having difficulty getting them to hire me. I know it sounds odd of me to be wanting to be hired by them , however, I have done a couple of parties for people at school and they all know i'd be amazing and funny, and as I'm only 14 my price is just £15 for half an hour.
They all think this is reasonable but ask if I'd do them for free. Well I do enjoy performing, but I would like some funding for the hobby...

I need a trick that has wow factor, and probably is'nt a card trick. Plus something people can grab out my hands...I have a good cups and balls routine helped by table hopping c'n'b. Multiplying golf balls and sponge balls also come easily to me.

So any suggestions would be helpful. I don't mind tricky effects either beause i just want to learn. Yet if there is a self working one out there i'm not going to say I'm better than it.

Denzy :?
[/size]

I catch 2 question here, the first being more important. That is hjaving your friends ask you to be a party performer for free. The answer to taht should always be "NO." I have an advantage, being an adult, but there is no reason that you should do freebies except in certain cases which I will mention later.

I had my church aproach me to do a show, which I was going to do until the pastor added the phrase, "of course this donation can be taken off your taxes."
I asked "what donation?"
He responded "You are donating this show aren't you?"

I can tell you where I suggested he put the show, but I can say my price doubled on the spot and that $125 show went to $250, "cash, no checks." When he started to protest I asked him, "do any doctors that belong to the church treat you for free, or will they treat me as a member for free? No? Then why do you expect me as a professioal magician to perform my services for free."

After he apologized I did do the show for my regular price. You have to let it be known that you do this for money so stop entertaining at school for free.

To get started in the business do some free shows in Day care centers and nursing homes. One freebie in each individual place, then charge.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:30 am 
Penguin

Zak1392 wrote:
If your in front of a small crowd, then get Misled. Don't get it if your gonna get surrounded!!!

You can do misled surrounded! It is just a little different. I was doing it the other day :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:45 am 
born to perform.

mdalpos wrote:
Zak1392 wrote:

You can do misled surrounded! It is just a little different. I was doing it the other day :D

Well it counts how skilled you are at this. I can do it surrounded because I play around with it everyday, but I'm not sure how skilled denny is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:29 pm 
Penguin

Wow!

Thats the fastest replying i'v ever had.
There's a lot of things there I can think about and i'v also got some of them which reasures me.
Thanks alot i'll tell you what i get.

Denny