View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How long per "performance" with walk-around magic?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:14 pm 
Penguin

If you've read some of my other posts, you'll realize I've been performing magic professionally for several years now. Though I mostly do Gospel shows, children's shows, and birthday parties, I have done a few "close up" shows as well, for older children, teens, and adults.

My office has asked me to do a magic show for them in about 3 months. (some mid-Spring social event.) They want me to do my standard children's show for the younger crowd and have asked if I would be willing/able to do some "walkaround" magic for the adults as well.

I hesitate to say this, since I've read some of the other posts in this section, but I've never done this before (gasp! :shock: :)), but I would like to try it. (How else am I going to find out if this will work if I don't try it?)

Most of my close-up show can be adapted for in-the-hands, tableless, walk-around magic. I've seen other magicians do this before (though I didn't think some were very good!) So, here's the question (finally!)

If I draw a crowd of a handful of people at a time, how long of a "show" should I give them before I move on? I can make a variety of coherent, smooth-flowing "shows" that are only about 5 minutes long each (switching between them throughout the afternoon). But is that long enough, or should I expect to be planted in one place for longer than that?

Of course, I should be flexible and "go with the flow", but it would be nice to have some idea going into it. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm 
Penguin

5 minutes seems good, especially if people are eating, or standing. Above a certain length, your spectators might loose their concentrations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:48 pm 
born to perform.

I think you have to "go with the flow". There will be times when you are performing for a certain group that may not take too well to the magic. You just have to know when to cut it short. But there will be other times when the group you are performing for will really get into the magic. I tend to want to stay with this group until I have nothing left to offer. Since you'll be doing walk-around, you can only pack so much in your pockets. There's always a point at which you'll have to move on. 15 minutes is not out of the ordinary for a single group. Plus, you're entertaining them. You're not just doing magic tricks. The trick itself takes no time. But if you entertain them, it's possible for a single trick to last a good five or so. Make sure your walk-around magic and patter is well seasoned before attempting this. Otherwise, you'll be sorry you did it.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

Here is one suggestion i make if this is a dinner setting make sure people have not eaten yet, you dont want people walking around you want them at their tables. Or else youll get surrounded and run out of material sooner than you think man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:11 am 
born to perform.

i would say aim for 5 minutes on average. but make sure you can shorten it to about 2 minutes or lengthen it to about 15 if need be. some people wont want you there very long, some will. judge their reactions and act accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 pm 
Penguin

The_Muffin_Man wrote:
I would say aim for 5 minutes on average. but make sure you can shorten it to about 2 minutes or lengthen it to about 15 if need be. some people wont want you there very long, some will. judge their reactions and act accordingly.

Great advice there. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

Since most of you guys do restaraunts any suggestions for routines and/or tricks for me? I'm going to make some routine and find a job somewhere hopefully.

Post subject: MY Best Night ever.. will be remembered.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 pm 
Penguin

This wasn't ina restaurant but it was in my job at the Food Court(for employee only). It started off with spongeballs with a Friend of mine. Then people started seeing it and Started yelling "do again" came closer. Then within seconds i had a crowd of about 6. After doign spongeballs for about 5 minutes a friend who seen card work said do some Cards. I told them i didnt have any. At this time theres a crowd of about 10 just watching to see not knowing anything. My friend goes to the store(at hotel where i work) and stole a deck of card Lol. Well, he came back And then everyone saw me opening them up. They were MAvericks which were really good I liked them. I started off doing Tricks with a lady. Did Some ACR, Sandwich, Etc and she freaked out. Said she had a headache of my playing with her head.. WEll, Everyone Freaked out saying that was amazing and then a Heckler came around said I wont get him. I did my ACR which is nearly perfected and He was stunned THE whole time I was putting "his" card in the middle he was saying "NO [edited] way dude, thats [edited] cant BE!!" and sure enough, it was his card on top. I ended it with braue's Pop-up move and He Fell to ground Stunned!. he offered me a $20 tip saying i was AMAZing "dude your so young and so talented you can have your OWN show" I just said thank you and said no thanks to money. I was there for Entertainment and practice not money. The reactions were well worth over $20. What a night. Everyone there said i could make money on street and my Stuff was topnotch. What a Great crowd i had.

Heres a list of stuff I did
ACR with throw change at end
ACR with braue's popup
MAxi twist
think touch turn Marlo
2 card monte(Dr.DAleys last trick)
biddle trick
tie them high and tie
And about 5 more i forgot name :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:20 pm 
Penguin

Wow, you should present your show all over the world !