View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a tip on tips
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:55 pm 
Penguin

I do not accept them, but it seems that everytime i do a pen thru dollar effect, the customer tries to give me the dollar. If i was a magician who did want to take in tips this would be the perfect closer. This maybe a "duh" idea but hey hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 pm 
Penguin

its a "duh" idea as you said but some people might not have thought of that, so atleast you contributed a idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:10 am 
born to perform.

Actually, I usually only do the pen through dollar if someone gives me a tip....or, there is already money on the table. I don't find too often that I get tipped after the pen through dollar. I personally don't feel like a spectator should be put in that kind of uncomfortable situation of feeling obligated to tip. So any time I borrow a bill, I assure them that they'll get it back. In any case, in additioin to other factors, tips will determined based on the audience that you are performing for. It seems somewhat rare in the franchise restaurant industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:02 am 

It is good that you don't accept tips. I notice that Jak, in his sticky, says the same. Well I have been doing restaurants full time for 7 years now, so maybe I just don't get it. I average on weeknights in TIPS ALONE $42.50 per hour. On weekends it goes up to $78 per hour.

This is in addition to the fee I charge the restaurants. I have 6 restaurants a week now (I fired one place because the got me angry) and am on the floor working with customers 24 hours a week. Figure it out for yourself how much I make over my fees.

Jak says the reason he doesn't take tips is that the servers resent it. I have been told by most servers that they want me there because their tips are higher when I am there. The reason is that I entertain the epople, I make the kids laugh, if someone is celebrating a birthday the servers tell me and I go to the table, make them the magician's assistant and then YELL out their name, what birthday they are celebrating and get the whole restaurant to sing "Happy Birthday" to them. The servers have told me that almost everytime I do this somebody from that table will give them an additional $5 in a tip.

Guess I do things the wrong way but it helps my income.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 am 
born to perform.

Personally I think its wrong not to take tips, I feel it comes off as rude. If you don't want the tips, or maybe the waitstaff gets upset if you take tips, give the money to the waitress then. It has been my experience that when someone is handing you money to show how much they enjoyed the performance, it is simply rude to turn down that gratitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:21 pm 
Penguin

When I did table hopping work there was no hesitation about taking tips. For one thing, you have to pay your own bills and the more you get tips, the less you have to rely on the owners for a reasonable wage.

As far as the wait staff, be especially nice to them and cater their good will. Talk to them about it but don't ever let them know how much you get. Both you and the wait staff are "performing" for the customer. Why should one get tipped and not the other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:44 pm 

Johnwolfe wrote:
When I did table hopping work there was no hesitation about taking tips. For one thing, you have to pay your own bills and the more you get tips, the less you have to rely on the owners for a reasonable wage...

Wage??? I do not work for any restaurant. I contract my service to them. They issue me a 1099 (Here in the U.S.) othre countries will have different laws) if they pay me more than $600 in a calander year. They all do pay me more than that. But I am then responsible for my own taxes, insurance (performers and automobile) and all other expences.

No I am a performer not an employee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:36 am 

Paddy, same here.

I go in to the restaurants and pitch my ideas to them. I do not whear uniform as an employee would etc. I wear my own stuff, do my own stuff, and get paid sepperatly from other employees working there.

but, i do on occasion take tips. Afterall, it is complimenting your hard work. Shows they enjoyed it and would like to give something back.

I havnt worked MANY restaurants, but how often do people actually tip? And do they tip on the spot, Or leave it with the waitress to give to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:53 am 

Jak wrote:
Paddy, same here.

I go in to the restaurants and pitch my ideas to them. I do not whear uniform as an employee would etc. I wear my own stuff, do my own stuff, and get paid sepperatly from other employees working there.

but, I do on occasion take tips. Afterall, it is complimenting your hard work. Shows they enjoyed it and would like to give something back.

I havnt worked MANY restaurants, but how often do people actually tip? And do they tip on the spot, Or leave it with the waitress to give to you...

Jak, I work 6 restaurants a week, I charge the restaurant plus I get tips. I would say that 60 to 70% of the tables give me a tip, in fact I have made as much as $200 in one 3 hour night in tips alone.

I have never had a problem with servers (except one and I'll mention that in a moment) adn they will get me whenever there is a birthday in the house because I do something special for the person and I get the whole house to sing "Happy Birthday" to the person. When I join in for the last 2 lines my voice is LOUD and REALLY OFF KEY, I sound horrible, and the people LOVE it. The thing I do for the person is an appearing rose for a woman which I give her, for a man I have several different small gift bottle of aftershve that I make appear.

The only time I ever had problems with a server, was a waiter that made a pass at me. I ignored him the first few times when it was just verbal. When I was at a table and he walked behind me and put his hand on my butt one night I just ignored it in front of the customers and hoped they didn't notice, then when I was talking to the waiter and trying to express my feeling gently he groped the front of my pants. Thats when I told him if he ever came within 5 feet of me again I would use my tire iron on his face. He never did like me after that.

All in all it has been a good 7 years that I have been doing this full time.

Later
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:04 am 
born to perform.

Wow Peter! You've got good self control. But I guess you never know how you'll react to that type of situation until you're in it. Kudos to you for being professional enough not to react in front of your spectators.

I'm curious. I know you work restaurants 6 nights a week. Exactly how many different restaurants do you work (assuming that you may work the same restaurant on multiple nights)? Do you ever get tired of the restaurants?...or maybe just one particular restaurant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:07 pm 

creecy wrote:
Wow Peter! You've got good self control. But I guess you never know how you'll react to that type of situation until you're in it. Kudos to you for being professional enough not to react in front of your spectators.

I'm curious. I know you work restaurants 6 nights a week. Exactly how many different restaurants do you work (assuming that you may work the same restaurant on multiple nights)? Do you ever get tired of the restaurants?...or maybe just one particular restaurant?

It is six different restaurants. Yes I am tired of the restaurant end of the business and want to get into festival and busking a lot more than I do now. I would love to travel a festival or Fair circuit around the country and then busk in the towns the nights I am not at the fest or fair.

Just buy a big Motor Home and do it. But...maybe later.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:21 pm 

Paddy, if guests leave a tip with the waitress or waiter, chances are your not going to see it. correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:43 pm 

Jak wrote:
Paddy, if guests leave a tip with the waitress or waiter, chances are your not going to see it. correct?

No. In fact two or three times a week a server will give me some bills and tell me it was from table whatever and they included it in the credit card amount for me. The servers have always said that when this happens their tip is larger than usual, so they are happy to pass on what the customer wanted.

Peter

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy,
You're just a sexy man, he couldn't help it :shock: