View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: is this a good routine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 am 
Penguin

i usually start off with a stealth pen,
then a floating dollar,
then die cipher 2,
then either balducci, king rising or wild levitation
finish with making them sign their name on a card and making it dissapear and then i get a tip and a discount from the bill for entertainment

cheers

Last edited by Ville_Valo on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:41 pm 
born to perform.

a- your routine looks like all gimmicks minues self levitation, get some sleight of hand stuff.
b- dont ask people to pm you so you can expose stuff, it just isnt cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 pm 
Emperor Penguin

How about you start using sleight of hand instead of so many gimmicks?

Also, exposure is against the rules. Pick up Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic, and fit something sleight of hand into your routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:10 pm 
Penguin

Sucks. No logical link. Raw compilation of gimmicks, as mentioned earlier.

Post subject: Re: is this a good routine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:21 pm 

Ville_Valo wrote:
I usually ...and then I get a tip and a discount from the bill for entertainment

cheers

Are you doing this for customers as an entertainer? Sounds like you do this for staff and ask for a discount. If you want to work in restaurants you ALWAYS GET MONEY from the restaurant. You can accept tips from the customers. I always include a free meal in my package so I get $XX/hour plus tips plus a free meal EVERY NIGHT I work there.

Please resubmit the question so we can figure out what you are saying.

BTW Everyone else is correct. This is a REALLY CRAPPY routine. Learn some magic then try again.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:11 pm 
Penguin

Hello Ville_Valo!

Let me share my 2 cents about routining/ restaurant magic effects: First the tricks have to have little or no reset. Next they should have little or no angle problems. Your tricks do NOT have to be in perfect flowing order. If you first trick is flashy and visual and you last trick is a haymaker, you have a good routine. (But, if you can make them flow as much as possible.)

1.Your first trick should be somthing quick, flashy and visual. A few good openers are; vanishing silk, producing four quarters, Paul Harris vanishing deck (The deck is then produced from case. Learned in Art of Astonishment) Let's pretend you used a stealth pen, *you walk up to table* Can I borrow a dollar? The people would think that you are going to steal their dollar. :lol: NOT GOOD!

2.Your middle trick can be more lenghty. Most magic tricks fit into this catorgory. Stealth pen is good. Also when you ask for a bill, they know you are a magician after seeing you first trick.

3. Your last trick should be the most amazing effect. Since you self levitations wouldn't work, the next most amazing trick is the levitating bill. (if you used the stealth as closer and levitating dollar as middle, all they would be thinking while you are doing stealth pen is, "How did he get that bill to levitate?" That's why you need the effects to build.) Some good closing effects are; sponge balls with kicker climax, Acr with card to wallet, omni deck, spellbinding boxes.

I hope I helped,

Austin Waldo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

i dont know how you wear IT and do stealth pen, and set up all the other gimmicks.

What restaurant is this for, the i want to freak you out, but cant use any skill, and your actually bored of my performance, restaurant.

You need alot of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

When you post a routine it really helps if you post patter, not just a list of effects, patter is truly what makes or breaks bad routines.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 pm 
born to perform.

Don't do a routine where ou have to reset...it is a pain in the (edit). Resturaunt is suppose to me automatically resetable effects. I learned it at a lecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:46 am 
Penguin

i do have sleight of hand tricks but most of them are very easy to figure, like a DL and ive been told sleight of hand is better... but i can figure what tricks to use for it...

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:24 am 
born to perform.

a DL is one of the single best sleights available to a magician.

Iv never been caught.

You could comprise an entire acr using a cleverly disguised DL, so it looks different each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:16 am 
Emperor Penguin

If you are caught doing a DL, you are not doing a DL correctly.

As Austin said, open with something flashy. Possibly a TT routine. A good one is the salt routine, taught on Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic. A reason I suggested the salt routine (as shownin the demo,) is because... well... what restaurant doesn't have salt?

Second off, as Austin said, is length. A good rope routine, I suggest! Maybe a C&R, with added comedy. Well, I love rope magic, so...

Third, I think ending with Sponge Balls is good. Maybe at the end they all vanish, so you're left with everything back in your pockets, ready to go to the next table!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:27 pm 
Penguin

hey guys thanks for the advice and all..
but im only 12
i just go around the restaurant doing tricks to people and the reastaurant pays me and i get like a 50% discount from a meal with my parents

so i eat and then i go and do tricks to people.being my age i rely on gimmicks...i like gimmicks that will AMAZE people.. like the stealth pen..die cipher 2.. and the floating doller

and for the people who think that floating doller is hard to prepare...
i just have the IT connected from my top pocket to my bottom pocket.. or just hang out..then i take a seat i take a drink from MY glass that i bring over stick the wax to that and then im off

thanks for the advice guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Please don't use age as an excuse. Sorry, but you can't. I'm younger than you, and the only gimmick I usually use is a regular TT. The most powerful gimmick of 'em all. Impromptu cards and coins and a TT. That's it. I get 4 quarters, a deck, a TT, and a silk before I leave home, and I'm ready to amaze fo hours to come. I wouldnever think of working restaurants until I'm at the least 16, and I will require much study, but I know it will be a successful future for the fact I don't require on more than 3 gimmicks in all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:31 am 
Penguin

magic matts your younger than 12!!!! i commend you for being a great "selight of hand magician" already and not relying on gimmicks... WOW!!!! oh and i always appreciate your advice...

as for ville vilo i have heard is restaraunt routines need to reset automatically... and rely on minimal amount of gimmicks... but anyways by the time your 16 i believe youll have some sleights in your "BAG o' stuff" and be able to perform for restaraunts.. i mean youve got 4 years to practice.