View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Too many effects?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Penguin

Is too many tricks bad? What would you guys say is a good amount of effects for one table? I would just hate to do too many effects or too little of effects. Should I leave them wanting more or exhaust my repetoire of tricks to one table? One other thing I've been reading, that you should dress professionally when performing. I agree, but does that mean a suit or just a shirt and tie, or what? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:38 pm 
born to perform.

Dude! Did you not read the whole Restaurant Tips thing?
Like 5-10 minutes worth of tricks is plenty.
Remember if this is your job you will be circling around, not just staying at one specific table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:57 pm 
born to perform.

as far as the length, the reason 5-10 minutes is good is because it's long enough to let them have a good time, but not long enough to have to make them miss some of their meal. As for the dress, it really depends on the place you are performing. If you are performing at joes crap shack for instance, mabey some jeans and a nice shirt, mabey even a sport's jacket. For your average decent restaurant, some nice pants, a nice shirt and a tie. Then for the really nice places, go for the full suit. That's just what I would say, i'm no professional though.

Evan Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 am 
born to perform.

The tie I might consider leaving in the closet because it can get in the way of your hands when doing tricks if you are leaning over slightly. Unless you have a tie clip in which case you could clip it to your shirt so that it doesn't. For me I would wear just a dress shirt and a nice pair of pants to a "restaurant" not to a "joe's crapshack" as it were. But jeans for me are always out because to me they just look like something to wear when you want to look bad if you are presenting. Whenever I am doing magic to anyone, if it is in a public place, I make sure I am not wearing jeans with a nice shirt because they, in my mind, do not go together. Maybe if it was people you know then wear jeans and a t-shirt but trust me, when doing a restaurant gig wear the proper clothing because you want to keep the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:39 am 
born to perform.

I have done the tie thing before in my restaurant gigs. However, as my preference, I may wear kacky dressy style pants, black dress shoes, a black mock turtle neck or even a non-turtle neck black shirt, and my black suit jacket......or black dress pants, black dress shoes, a white or cream mock turtle neck or even a non-turtle neck shirt, and my black suit jacket. I often roll my sleeves up during a performance which I find is easier with a long sleeve non-button up shirt. I find this to be more comfortable than the button up shirt and tie.

Post subject: Too many tricks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:46 am 
born to perform.

Regarding Too many tricks:

You really shouldn't have the opportunity to exaust all of your tricks on one table. Don't perform when they are eating. Perform after they've ordered and before the food arrives. As for how long you stay at one table, I judge each table differently. Some people will really get into the magic. You'll want to spen a little more time with these. Other people will never get into it no matter how good you are. Those are the ones that you will politely thank them for watching and then move on to the next. Each table will be different. I've often told a table that I will stay there until the food comes, which is not usually very long, but it makes them feel important. When the food comes while I'm there, I always say, "...and here is the best magic I do".