View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Routines
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm 
Penguin

What are you thoughts on routining routines? If you make them "flow" do you use three of the same type effects? (All coin tricks, all card tricks)
Do you use a coin trick, then a card and coin trick, then do a card trick? Just in case you think I'm asking for you routines, I'm not. I'm asking how to make my own...

Thanks for all your thoughts in advance,

Austin Waldo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

Whatever you like performing or what people like watching you perform. If you walked into a crowd of people lets say in a bar so you go up to the first group and perform a cardd triick, the next group a card trick, then finnally you catch a break not really surrounded then you might perform something different like recap. Just try to think of how your going to be able to work this out. bring a certain number effects that you know solid and i might as well say improvise. Find a group that doesnt like magic just do a trick, try to get a tip and move along. You get a crowd that wants to see magic then spend the extra two minutes with them and youll find that two minutes in your poocket but instead of minutes it wiill be dollar bills.

-good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:44 pm 
Penguin

Most people do not have any expectations for what you are about to perform for them. Also most people have not seen a Magician perform before.
Also you don't really need a "routine" if it is just walk around. I know some people will argue with me on that point but I feel that most of the time at least when I am performing there is not enough time to do more than two or three effects. And with such few effects, especially in a walk around situation I don't think that it is really a routine Rather than a few "tricks".

In my case I usually use all one medium at a time. For example I might start approach the table and do two or three card effects then I will leave. Then they usually call me back a little later or I will approach them again, then I will do a few coin effect. So an and so on. I change the medium each time I go up to them also if I am performing the the table right next to one that I just performed for.

I do this because it gives the customers time to chat with each other, people rarely go to a restaurant to just see magic they want to socialize with there guests. Also I use the same medium each time because I think it feels less "propy". Pulling out coins after a card trick seems to " and now for my next trick". Most card effects tend to flow into each other pretty well.
I also split up the performance a few times rather than performing one longer routine because the in the between time not only gives them time to talk but it also gives them time to recuperate, that way they will be ready for the next time I approach them.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:05 am 
Penguin

Is this the same with table hopping?

Thanks,

Austin Waldo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:18 pm 
Penguin

There is no right or wrong with routining as far as whether or not you wish to do several separate effects OR a routine which segues from one into another in a smooth blend. If you are just going to routine several separate effects together you just want to make sure that they are not the same thing such as 3 torn and restored effects OR a prediction followed by another prediction. Just start with a simple but effective quick effect and then build up to your strongest effect to close, one that will leave a lasting impression AND always bear in mind to leave them wanting more not having them wanting you to leave them alone.

If you use a segue from one into another, you might want to try something like opening with removing the deck of cards from the card case and have them vanish only to return to the card case. Remove them again and perform an ambitious card routine and finish it with "Solid Deception" (Paul Harris) or start by shuffling the deck, have the particpant cut to all 4 aces, perform twisiting the aces and then into Paul Harris' "Bizarre Twist" into something using only 4 aces transposing and no other cards OR McDonald's Four Ace Trick, followed by "The Invisible Palm" using the four aces, then moving into a Jack Sandwich type routine but using 2 aces only.
(Just having one effect flow seemlessly into another).

Some people that perform close-up set up in one corner and rather than table hopping, do set close-up shows where the audience comes to them as they want to. In that style, it is far easier to routine a show rather than doing a trick here and a trick there for a walk around situation.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:12 pm 
Penguin

MindGuy wrote:
There is no right or wrong with routining as far as whether or not you wish to do several separate effects OR a routine which segues from one into another in a smooth blend. If you are just going to routine several separate effects together you just want to make sure that they are not the same thing such as 3 torn and restored effects OR a prediction followed by another prediction. Just start with a simple but effective quick effect and then build up to your strongest effect to close, one that will leave a lasting impression AND always bear in mind to leave them wanting more not having them wanting you to leave them alone.

If you use a segue from one into another, you might want to try something like opening with removing the deck of cards from the card case and have them vanish only to return to the card case. Remove them again and perform an ambitious card routine and finish it with "Solid Deception" (Paul Harris) or start by shuffling the deck, have the particpant cut to all 4 aces, perform twisiting the aces and then into Paul Harris' "Bizarre Twist" into something using only 4 aces transposing and no other cards OR McDonald's Four Ace Trick, followed by "The Invisible Palm" using the four aces, then moving into a Jack Sandwich type routine but using 2 aces only.

Some people that perform close-up set up in one corner and rather than table hopping, do set close-up shows where the audience comes to them as they want to. In that style, it is far easier to routine a show rather than doing a trick here and a trick there for a walk around situation.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

That's good info. Thanks!

Austin W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:15 pm 
Penguin

MindGuy wrote:
start by shuffling the deck, have the particpant cut to all 4 aces, perform twisiting the aces and then into Paul Harris' "Bizarre Twist" into something using only 4 aces transposing and no other cards OR McDonald's Four Ace Trick, followed by "The Invisible Palm" using the four aces, then moving into a Jack Sandwich type routine but using 2 aces only.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Wouldn't that routine take too long?

Thanks again,

Aussie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:17 pm 
Penguin

It depends on what kind of situation you are in and what the restaurant wants you to do.
Most places it is a standard walk around. You go table to table and perform 2-3 effects for each table. I believe this is the most common restaurant performing situation

Another way is to have a stand or a table where people would come to you to see magic.

Another is very similar the the second one. You could have a table or stand again but you perform a longer show in a loop(maybe 30-45 min. show depending on what kind of restaurant you work in). Repeat the same show nonstop. Obviously you will be performing the same effects over and over but it will be for different people that come in and out of the restaurant.

There are probably more but that is all I can think of now.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

MindGuy wrote:

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

you forgot Dr. Daley's Last Trick, its classic.