View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spectators
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:13 pm 
Penguin

I was thinking about getting a restaurant job and I was wondering if a spectator asks to do a trick, what should you do. Should you let them or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:26 pm 
Penguin

well why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

As long as you're prepared to follow it up with something better than anything they could show you, I say go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 am 
Penguin

definatley,
at a restaurant some times spectators DONT want you to do a trick
you have to take advantage of oportunities like this to entertain and once
you did the trick follow it up with something else even better than the first one.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 am 

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Spectators are called that for a reason. YOU are the entertainer. You would not let a spectator do a trick in a parlour or stage venue so why in a restaurant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:46 am 
Penguin

That makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:21 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Spectators are called that for a reason. YOU are the entertainer. You would not let a spectator do a trick in a parlour or stage venue so why in a restaurant.

amen. The restuarant is paying for you to perform, not to watch them show you the 21 card trick. The manager isn't going to appreciate it if he sees people performing to you when you could be working more tables. If someone asks you, respectfully decline, explain to them that you are there to perform for them, and are paid by the management to do that. If you act right, people will understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:00 am 
Penguin

oh cr*p i read the question wrong.
i thought it said if you were at a restaurant and some one asks YOU to do a trick not for them to do a trick. sorry bout the wrong advice, yeah if the ask say no but show them something amazing so they wont ask again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:13 am 
born to perform.

actually i think its about entertainment. they are not jut paying you to perform, they want entertainment.

So if a spectator would enjoy doing that first then that is entertianment for them. Saying no can make them feel bad and they may not enjoy the performance as much, and it makes you seem insecure.

Enjoy it as you are being paid, they are being entertained, and you are watching them perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:25 am 
born to perform.

But the fact of the matter still remains, you are being paid by the manager of the restaurant. If he see's you having the spectators doing tricks, he may rethink your agreement. I doubt he would be willing to pay you to watch people do magic tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:34 am 
born to perform.

I have had a spectator ask me to let them do a trick before, I said yes and gave them my cards. My reasoning for this was to see what he knew before I did anything. So he did his trick and then I did mine. The difference to the rest of the spectators watching was, his looked like a trick, mine looked like magic!

There is really no rules to what you have or have not to do, its up to you. If you want to let a spectator show you a tick do, if you don't well then don't. You don't have to go by someone else's advice, see what works for you, that's what makes us all different!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:08 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:

What Peter said is absolutely right. Plus at a restaurant you are being paid to do magic not them. During that time when they are fondling your cards you are suppose to be doing your job. The only time I did was for a four year old kid. I said no the first time but then he started to cry a little so I let him just so he would not make a scene.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:26 am 
born to perform.

Arkesus wrote:
But the fact of the matter still remains, you are being paid by the manager of the restaurant. If he see's you having the spectators doing tricks, he may rethink your agreement. I doubt he would be willing to pay you to watch people do magic tricks.

First, a manager won't see a spectator doing a trick and you watching. For all he/she knows, you told the spectator to take the cards and you were just giving them instructions on what to do. There are a lot of tricks just like that.

As for being paid to do magic, someone said it...you're being paid to entertain. Letting a cocky spectator see the difference between a card trick and magic entertainment is not inappropriate. It's a rare situation, but I will let them. People always suspect "special magic cards". How many times has someone asked you that. If someone ask if they can show me a trick, I give them the satisfaction and then I awe the crap out of them with some real magic entertainment. I don't see anything wrong with it. But like I said, the request is very rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:22 am 

creecy wrote:
As for being paid to do magic, someone said it...you're being paid to entertain. Letting a cocky spectator see the difference between a card trick and magic entertainment is not inappropriate...

WRONG!!! The key phrase is "to entertain." You are being paid to entertain. You are NOT paid to embarrass the spectators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:52 am 
Penguin

creecy wrote:
People always suspect "special magic cards". How many times has someone asked you that.

Having the cards examined is different that letting them show you a trick.

-Adam Michael