View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:56 pm 
born to perform.

cakkid wrote:
creecy wrote:
People always suspect "special magic cards". How many times has someone asked you that.

Having the cards examined is different that letting them show you a trick.

-Adam Michael

Ok Adam,

So someone wants to examine the cards, and you let them. Then, while they are holding the cards, they decide to show you a trick without asking. Are you going to snatch the cards away and refuse them the opportunity? I'm sure we'll all have different views on this. I'm old enough to have the experience of both sides. By both sides I mean, telling them "no", they can't show me a trick, and saying "sure! I'll watch your trick". Like I said before, the situation is vary rare. So, in my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it is happening often for someone, then I'd have to say that person isn't respected as a magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
creecy wrote:
As for being paid to do magic, someone said it...you're being paid to entertain. Letting a cocky spectator see the difference between a card trick and magic entertainment is not inappropriate...

WRONG!!! The key phrase is "to entertain." You are being paid to entertain. You are NOT paid to embarrass the spectators.

Peter,
There are some people who just can't be entertained. You know that, I'm sure. If a spectator is embarrassed about something, it would be nothing that I have done. If they embarrass themselves, then they are likely to do it one way or another. Allowing them to do a card trick is not going to hurt anything. In fact, the other spectators around them may be entertained and have been entertained more just by allowing this. Once again, the situation is rare (at least for me it is). I can't remember the last time this has happened. But the next time it does, I will probably allow it again. One exception of this is kids. I would not let a kid handle my cards. Too many other things to worry about then such as bending cards, dropping cards, etc.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention. When I do let someone show me a trick, I always turn it into MY trick by following it up with something that fits whatever it was they were doing. For example, if they did some kind of pick a card routine, I would follow it up with an ACR using what ever card was chosen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:29 pm 
Penguin

Yes, you are suppose to entertain them, but with magic. Sure them showing you a trick might be entertaining to them, but that is not what you are suppose to do. Someone else in the restaurant might think that stripping is entertaining. You are probubaly not going to strip for them just to entertain them because you are not a stripper, you are a magician.

The stripper is just the first exaple I could think of. No offence to anyone.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:40 pm 
born to perform.

cakkid wrote:
Yes, you are suppose to entertain them, but with magic. Sure them showing you a trick might be entertaining to them, but that is not what you are suppose to do. Someone else in the restaurant might think that stripping is entertaining. You are probubaly not going to strip for them just to entertain them because you are not a stripper, you are a magician.

The stripper is just the first exaple I could think of. No offence to anyone.

-Adam Michael

That's another kind of magic all together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:42 pm 
born to perform.

NO isnt it your job to do the tricks and they are their to eat their meal. You dont wanna play smoke and fire with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:47 pm 
Penguin

ween wrote:
NO isnt it your job to do the tricks and they are their to eat their meal. You dont wanna play smoke and fire with them.

If you are hired by a restaurant to do magic then it is your job to do "the tricks". And yes they are there to eat there meal. That is why you ask them if they would like to see some magic. You do not force feed people magic. If they just want to eat there food then let them.

-Adam Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:31 am 
born to perform.

cakkid wrote:
ween wrote:

If you are hired by a restaurant to do magic then it is your job to do "the tricks". And yes they are there to eat there meal. That is why you ask them if they would like to see some magic. You do not force feed people magic. If they just want to eat there food then let them.

-Adam Michael

There is a lot to be learned here. First, you certainly don't want to perform while they are eating. I'm sure you know that. Second, if you haven't already, you will find that asking someone if they want to see some magic will get you various responses, many of which are not the most desired.